Fishing Ban: Grenadier Pond, High Park

Sailor Joe

I was at Toronto Island yesterday and I met a fellow fisherman, and he informed me that the ban has been lifted and there is going to be a tournament there on July 6th. The person name was Dave Clark (sorry if i spelt he last name wrong). This was the website he gave me, he said there is information there

http://torontourbanfishing.com,

Actually, that link takes you right back to this thread, try this one: http://torontourbanfishing.com/

I fully agree about the problem with garbage and people who don't give a toss for the rules. Perhaps the park personnel could be empowered as officers, with the ability to lay charges. I would love to see that done in a lot more places, Frenchman's Bay comes to mind. :angry:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone even bother reading the articles? In the very first paragraph it says:

Since our October 2012 meeting, members of our Grenadier
Pond Protection working group have met with Councillor
Doucette; dialogued with the Park Supervisor; collected
signatures on a petition calling for a provisional ban until a
proper assessment is made to determine if, where, and
under what conditions fishing should be permitted.
To me this suggests that there is enough illegal activity, garbage, and disregard for the fish/wildlife that those who see this day in and day out know that something needs to be done.
There is a link within the second link posted which provides a summary of incidents, conclusions, and recommendations.
Suggested changes:
• Regular and intense monitoring by a dedicated conservation officers and efficient
enforcement are a MUST under the existing circumstances
• Changing a focus of promotional strategies regarding urban fishing from existing
message to build more balanced and environmentally conscious fundamentals for fishing
activities, to promote safer fishing and generally focus more on appreciating wildlife and
natural environment. In a longer view, with a growing population in focus, this is a prudent
way to go.
• Exclude Grenadier Pond from fishing days activities or any similar activities promoting
fishing to large groups
• Have a seasonal recreation staff assigned to do on-site education of the fishers where
fishing is permitted
• Both the education and enforcement staff should be prepared to deal with people who
speak little English (e.g. have materials in other languages, have staff who can speak the
most common other languages, etc.)
• Make mandatory for all fishers to wear their licenses visibly displayed (either hanging it
around their neck or pinned to the clothes), this could help to deter people currently fishing
illegally and make any monitoring or enforcement easier and more efficient
• Mandatory clean-up of all discarded equipment and items
• Consider naturalizing the remaining east side shoreline that would help to reduce a
usage of this very area by a number of waterfowl, including Canada Goose, presently
gathering on this grassy strip lining the shore. This enhancing of the shoreline would also
reduce congestion of fishers occurring lately along this grassy, obstacle free, area.
This is NOT an outright ban as they're looking for ways to keep it open while protecting fish and wildlife. That said, I'm totally against P3TA and disagree with those who think this is a P3TA or animal lover move.
We as fishermen are supposed to be conservationists, yet the majority replying to this thread are against changes to conserve fish and wildlife??? How can you not agree with their suggested changes as they're doing nothing more than trying to maintain this pond that so many of you have fished?
Edited by ch312

• 2 months later...

Did anyone even bother reading the articles? In the very first paragraph it says:

Since our October 2012 meeting, members of our Grenadier
Pond Protection working group have met with Councillor
Doucette; dialogued with the Park Supervisor; collected
signatures on a petition calling for a provisional ban until a
proper assessment is made to determine if, where, and
under what conditions fishing should be permitted.
To me this suggests that there is enough illegal activity, garbage, and disregard for the fish/wildlife that those who see this day in and day out know that something needs to be done.
There is a link within the second link posted which provides a summary of incidents, conclusions, and recommendations.
Suggested changes:
• Regular and intense monitoring by a dedicated conservation officers and efficient
enforcement are a MUST under the existing circumstances
• Changing a focus of promotional strategies regarding urban fishing from existing
message to build more balanced and environmentally conscious fundamentals for fishing
activities, to promote safer fishing and generally focus more on appreciating wildlife and
natural environment. In a longer view, with a growing population in focus, this is a prudent
way to go.
• Exclude Grenadier Pond from fishing days activities or any similar activities promoting
fishing to large groups
• Have a seasonal recreation staff assigned to do on-site education of the fishers where
fishing is permitted
• Both the education and enforcement staff should be prepared to deal with people who
speak little English (e.g. have materials in other languages, have staff who can speak the
most common other languages, etc.)
• Make mandatory for all fishers to wear their licenses visibly displayed (either hanging it
around their neck or pinned to the clothes), this could help to deter people currently fishing
illegally and make any monitoring or enforcement easier and more efficient
• Mandatory clean-up of all discarded equipment and items
• Consider naturalizing the remaining east side shoreline that would help to reduce a
usage of this very area by a number of waterfowl, including Canada Goose, presently
gathering on this grassy strip lining the shore. This enhancing of the shoreline would also
reduce congestion of fishers occurring lately along this grassy, obstacle free, area.
This is NOT an outright ban as they're looking for ways to keep it open while protecting fish and wildlife. That said, I'm totally against P3TA and disagree with those who think this is a P3TA or animal lover move.
We as fishermen are supposed to be conservationists, yet the majority replying to this thread are against changes to conserve fish and wildlife??? How can you not agree with their suggested changes as they're doing nothing more than trying to maintain this pond that so many of you have fished?

No Updates OFC Family to my knowledge

CH312--Noted

Thanks

Paul

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

You've got to be kidding me! As a kid, this was one of the few places, that inner city kids , could go fishing! Shame on you, High Park. You should be very ashamed!! :excl::angry::wallbash::wacko:

Sheesh--lot of negative nancy's down at the pond today KJ

casual observation from a professional standpoint--Pe3A types--what the hell aka Where to Fish..Urban Fishin is alive and well i believe

ontariofamilyfishing.com

ID1

Edited by icedude