Fishing Ban: Grenadier Pond, High Park

Sailor Joe

Ok, maybe it is my older version of Explorer.

I can get to the main page but, none of the PDF pages will load for me.

I would absolutely be against a ban but, I want to know what exactly they are proposing and all their "evidence"

This is not the City of Toronto but, a non-profit Org for High Park. They would make a proposition to the City. I highly doubt the city would or could enact such a prop.

I don't fish there myself but, GP is a body of water where many city kids have their first experience with fishing. An obvious, low-cost, rec. activity that should be encouraged and available for all.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by farsider

Maybe someone should ban the act of breeding between the BIG THINKERS S.outh O.f B.loor.

Their precious brains are so filled with knowledge us regular folks lack that their craniums could explode at any time and if some were to go off simultaneously the pungent odor of Scat would wreak havoc on the rest of Toronto's innocent civilian population.

As mentioned, if you live or fish the area stand up and make your concerns heard.

Edited by moxie

Sad news if this ban goes into effect...

Grenadier Pond was just one of the many places we fished as youngsters along with Frenchman's Bay, Rouge River, Highland Creek, Humber River, Mimico Creek, Etobicoke Creek, The Credit River and The Toronto Islands...

All were available by public transit...

Caught my first Calico Bass (Crappie) in Grenadier Pond

Edited by Beans

Sad news if this ban goes into effect...

Grenadier Pond was just one of the many places we fished as youngsters along with Frenchman's Bay, Rouge River, Highland Creek, Humber River, Mimico Creek, Etobicoke Creek, The Credit River and The Toronto Islands...

All were available by public transit...

Caught my first Calico Bass (Crappie) in Grenadier Pond

Spent a fair amount of time as a teenager in most of those spots, playing hooky and fishing.

First fished there as part of their summer program eons ago but haven't since then. Be a shame if they banned fishing since that's where lots of kids get their first taste of it, but the place is multi user location so I wonder if it is related to wildlife or other park users. Because it's in the city and easily accessible, I can see how it can attract fishermen who aren't as considerate as most and will leave stuff around.

I think it's a case of the few ruining the situation for the many.

First fished there as part of their summer program eons ago but haven't since then. Be a shame if they banned fishing since that's where lots of kids get their first taste of it, but the place is multi user location so I wonder if it is related to wildlife or other park users. Because it's in the city and easily accessible, I can see how it can attract fishermen who aren't as considerate as most and will leave stuff around.

I think it's a case of the few ruining the situation for the many.

Gotta stop these tree hugging, tin hat wearing, call my kid

Hayden or Colton loafs...... They need to be stomped out like an unwanted bug....And hard!!!!!!!No place in our society for "Holier than thou" passive aggressive dolts.

Gotta stop these tree hugging, tin hat wearing, call my kid

Hayden or Colton loafs...... They need to be stomped out like an unwanted bug....And hard!!!!!!!No place in our society for "Holier than thou" passive aggressive dolts.

X2. You tell 'em Moxie. Im super pissed. They are taking away MY RIGHTS for their beleifs.

X2. You tell 'em Moxie. Im super pissed. They are taking away MY RIGHTS for their beleifs.

Absolutely!!! When special interest affects the right of many it just creates unnecessary divisiveness in an ever growing divisive society.

Their beliefs have nothing to do with this issue. Frankly, I'm not surprised that this issue has arisen. I've seen first hand what these "fisherfolk" leave behind.. The shoreline on the east side of the pond is a war zone. These yahoos have to learn how to clean up after themeselves if we get to keep our fishing priviledges...

I've seen the lot that fishes that pond, they rape and pillage when the pan fish are spawning, leave a heap of junk behind them and generally have no regard for anyone else. Ask them what a fishing license is and they havn't got a clue. Forget a language barrier.

In my mind the heart of the issue is a lack of enforcement of existing provincial laws and regulations. No need to re-invent the wheel on this and invent more regulation. Simply patrol the shoreline more often. Instead, what we have is a special interest group seeking to change the law specific to the area based on some moral compass of their own self interest. If you actually take the time to review the recommendations, you will convince yourself that the hidden imperative is to ban fishing out-right at Grenadier Pond.

Someone tell me this, why can people fish in New York's Central Park and manage it so successfully? A city 5 times Toronto's size in population. They seem to know how to do it. The answer is this, they enforce the existing laws and stock the ponds.

In my mind the heart of the issue is a lack of enforcement of existing provincial laws and regulations. No need to re-invent the wheel on this and invent more regulation. Simply patrol the shoreline more often. Instead, what we have is a special interest group seeking to change the law specific to the area based on some moral compass of their own self interest. If you actually take the time to review the recommendations, you will convince yourself that the hidden imperative is to ban fishing out-right at Grenadier Pond.

Someone tell me this, why can people fish in New York's Central Park and manage it so successfully? A city 5 times Toronto's size in population. They seem to know how to do it. The answer is this, they enforce the existing laws and stock the ponds.

X2. Its high time government stayed out of our pockets as well as our lives and enforced laws already in place and fulfil the duties for which they are handsomely paid by us.Instead of us continuing to repeat the dreaded, "It only takes a few apples to spoil the bunch". The time has come to take those Apples out of the basket and toss them in the trash and for special interest groups to find other interests that do not infringe on mine.

Their beliefs have nothing to do with this issue. Frankly, I'm not surprised that this issue has arisen. I've seen first hand what these "fisherfolk" leave behind.. The shoreline on the east side of the pond is a war zone. These yahoos have to learn how to clean up after themeselves if we get to keep our fishing priviledges...

I've seen the lot that fishes that pond, they rape and pillage when the pan fish are spawning, leave a heap of junk behind them and generally have no regard for anyone else. Ask them what a fishing license is and they havn't got a clue. Forget a language barrier.

Well put Max Power

It truly does becomes a special interest belief as soon as it's suggested that the only method to curtail abusive angling behavior is to forcibly impose prohibition and restrictive laws on others. No sir, I do not willingly accept this as a solution.

Step up enforcement. Patrol more. Penalize offenders. Increase existing penalties. Make them suffer for the litter and damage they cause. And watch behaviors for the better change over time. The ministry has a budget for that. Our taxes and license fees in part fund that budget. It really doesn’t get simpler then that.

Edited by Sailor Joe

if they had went out and got signatures on a petition as to why they feel this way, where does it say that we could do not do the same. I mean look at how many valid points have been made here as to why fishing should be allowed. If our thoughts on why fishing should be allowed were to be brought to the attention on the MNR, City of Toronto and those involved prophase our community could help prevent such a ban.

• 4 weeks later...

ahhhhh....the famous white bucket brigade !!! man they sure get around.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Toronto Island yesterday and I met a fellow fisherman, and he informed me that the ban has been lifted and there is going to be a tournament there on July 6th. The person name was Dave Clark (sorry if i spelt he last name wrong). This was the website he gave me, he said there is information there

http://torontourbanfishing.com,