Simcoe was generous Saturday

iFish4real

Sunday out of Gilford was ok in 27ft. Lots of usual small ones but only 10 keepers...biggest 12". 2 weeks ago it was much better. The schools of herring swimming by was a good break in the action and were easy to catch....and release. Also caught a fat rock bass but such a disappointment to see him when you think a slab is coming up...lol

Nice haul guys wow. Peerchin is fun, just getting into it this year and im hooked. Headin back up this weekend myself. What were you guys using for bait? 2 weeks ago we were using minnows. Myself I had a spoon tipped with a minnow and the 2 other fellas with me were using plain hooks with minnows. Do the cisco swim around the 15' mark just below the ice? Is that what I was seeing a few weeks ago? someone had mentioned it was hearing.

odds are those would be cisco 10-15 feet down. There were tons of them when I went last week...needed a big bell sinker to get your bait past them to get down to the perch. Guys near me had about 10 on the ice and were REALLY releuctant to let them go when I told them they were not legal to keep

Nice haul guys wow. Peerchin is fun, just getting into it this year and im hooked. Headin back up this weekend myself. What were you guys using for bait? 2 weeks ago we were using minnows. Myself I had a spoon tipped with a minnow and the 2 other fellas with me were using plain hooks with minnows. Do the cisco swim around the 15' mark just below the ice? Is that what I was seeing a few weeks ago? someone had mentioned it was hearing.

we used Rapala jigging rap,Lindy Rattl'n flyer spoon and Swedish pimple...tipped with minnows, emerald shiners for best results.What you see on the flasher was a school of bait fish, i believe was smelt...they we're thousands...Hering(aka cisco) was on fire too..they we're following your lure when you pulled it up and hit it hard...caught a few of those and released them...

overall was a great day, so many keepers and some really fat ones

Thanks for lesson. I did'nt have any idea they called Lake Herring, "Cisco". In fact I thought they were White fish until another ice fisher had said no there herring. Just looking at the regs and yup they say it right there for Zone 16 Lake Simcoe.Thanks guys happy fishin!