Charlie Wray's Fishful Thinking

frodobuggins

You've gotta be kidding me.. Charlie Wray was a staple for me Sat mornings when I was a kid...

Always been one of my favorites as well, really drives home the fundamentals; sharp hooks & retying often. Also seen some great bass shows that he has done; not trolling but he was using Live Target Baits before pretty much anyone else...

On another note, most fishing shows are pretty much infomercials: if hosts aren't pushing product say goodbye to the sponsers. and it's generally not viable to bankroll a show by yourself. Sponsers definitely rule this business!

There are too many 'look how many fish I can catch' shows.

I like a show that;

- shows you why old school techniques still work.

- offers new techniques and when/how to use them.

- brings you to familiar surroundings as well as featuring remote outposts.

Charlie Wray doesn't always meet that criteria but he's likable, knowledgeable and I'll keep watching.

I don't love Charlie's show, don't hate it either. I just wish he wouldn't be such a blatant shill, but then that's the nature of the industry I guess.

The only show I've really enjoyed in recent years was Mark Krupa's. But that's a direct result of the destinations he travelled to and the genius of his camera man/producer Ihor Macijiwsky. Macijiwsky is imo a master in his field.

Considering the number of steelheaders in Ontario why so little coverage in fishing shows. I've seen Bob Izumi do one or two shows on dropbacks on an Eastern stream but that's it. I guess there's not enough money invested in stream fishing compared to boat fishing.

Dan O.

Considering the number of steelheaders in Ontario why so little coverage in fishing shows. I've seen Bob Izumi do one or two shows on dropbacks on an Eastern stream but that's it. I guess there's not enough money invested in stream fishing compared to boat fishing.

Dan O.

I'm sure everyone would love all the spot burning that a TV show would do, lol.

Also not enough product to push :)

Edited by BillM

More then one way to fish. More then one way to host a fishing show.

There is more product placement then in the past (to a point) but that's the nature of the business. No product placement, no show.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion. Mine is, change the channel if you don't like it.

I half agree. Charlie's show is great for people who prefer to fish that way. He is a human billboard so I dunno how anyone could say they like the lack pf advertising. Our running joke when I was growing up was "oh look, the Luhr Jensen show is on!"

His show doesn't interest me personally as I don't fish his methods or spots.

What I do like is that he sticks to community holes. No secrets. I caught the fish ob such and such lake, looking for the following structure - this is how a fishing show SHOULD be. So you can actually learn something watching it, unlike fnc or the others who just promote a lodge the whole show.

Charlie has been around a long time so he must be doing something good. He has a variety we don't see all the time...sturgeon, tuna, musky.

I miss in-fisherman when they had the 3 "entertaining" segment shows....a different variety each and every time. Good format

In talking with him at fishing shows I have always found him to be a great guy.

I hate trolling with every ounce of my being. Lol.

I can't stop watching fishing shows even though I hate how ridiculous the almost constant product plugs have become on almost all shows. A lot of guys can't use a sentence without mentioning a sponsor's product. I think that approach is less effective than saying nothing and letting us see what they r using in the background.

Landry

You know , that's what I thought as well , I made similar comments about this particular guy , he managed to make my on-line life a sort of hell for almost a year ...

I have to ask, how is this possible?? Particularily on something that is just recreational, like an internet site. Its not like you have your life wrapped up in this! As for Charlie Wray, I think he has a pretty decent show, although I haven't watched anything other than treehouse for the last 3.5 years and our youngest bundle showed up. All the shows I saw previously where pretty good, and I like his personality as a host. My 2 cents!

You've gotta be kidding me.. Charlie Wray was a staple for me Sat mornings when I was a kid...

Now that I don't get out I actually watch them witha coffee and chores start.

BUT I have always wondered WHY do they air these programs on Saturday morning when most anglers are out fishing!

Bill, how many have you watched after you stopped beings kid? lol ok maybe I'm missing recording for later viewing.. . .

I don't love Charlie's show, don't hate it either. I just wish he wouldn't be such a blatant shill, but then that's the nature of the industry I guess.

The only show I've really enjoyed in recent years was Mark Krupa's. But that's a direct result of the destinations he travelled to and the genius of his camera man/producer Ihor Macijiwsky. Macijiwsky is imo a master in his field.

I like Mark Krupa as well- great show. I don't mind Charlie Wray because if I'm on new water I like to troll until I get familiar with the lake. My very best favourite show is Dave Mercer's because he shows the good and the bad. I also agree that Pete Bowman is a good old boy. He's the kind of guy that you would love to have a beer or beers with.

FNC, Real Fishing, Fishful, Hooked, Canadian Sportfishing... man, even the Dimestore... these shows and more helped with the long northern winters and some certainly planted a little knowledge into the noggin'. Don't watch fishing shows or TV much anymore.

Charlie though... I'd fish with that guy. In fact, would fish with any of them. It's easy to judge from the couch, and even easier to change the channel if it's not for you.

It's easy to judge from the couch, and even easier to change the channel if it's not for you.

As it says in my OP, the channel was changed.

And matters not where my opinion comes from because its an OPINION, and more importantly, My opinion. The consumer, the fisherman.

DO you comment on the state of politics? your favourite sports team? Are these opinions less pertinent or valuable because your not a politician or professional athlete?

Whats the point of a forum if not to talk about our opinions.