NF - Need Some Roofing Advice

Oggie

Removing shingles is a piece of mind sort of thing. If you can inspect underside of roof from attic for water damage, do it. If there is no to little damage strap'er to the shingles. Comparing it to a moldy bathroom/shower, once it dries out and is not used mold ceases to multiply. Metal Roofing will ensure this does not get wet - further ensuring no mold growth.

We are talking a camp, not a home nor a cottage?

Structure is enhanced with a metal roof. Visiting the Caribbean this metal roofing is used quite often and seems to be holding structure together.

Pricing, the Mennonite's seem to control the pricing. Forcing local business to compete in Mennonite regions. can't remember exact $ figures though but way cheaper then Toronto prices. Price in the snow guards! That single peak is going to make for a slow install.

Make sure you have your spider legs when walking on a metal roof.

Oddly enough, nearly every professional roofer around here removes shingles before installing the metal shingles. Have you much experience with installing metal roofs?

Considering the costs involved, maybe it would be beneficial to seek advice from a reputable metal roof installer?

Thats because the roofers make good cash stripping off the old shingles. It is not required.

Thats because the roofers make good cash stripping off the old shingles. It is not required.

No, its because reputable roofers would rather do the job properly the first time so they will have piece of mind knowing they won't have to come back to repair the expensive roof they just installed. Some contractors do care about their reputation and not everything is about $$$.

Out of curiosity, how might one guarantee a metal shingle roof if they're not exactly sure what's under the shingles and a waterproof membrane can't be installed? The membrane isn't highly recommended and even a requirement for some contractors "just because".

A couple home inspectors I know have seen their fair share of $15k+ metal roofs that had to be ripped off because they were nothing more than bandaids...

Explain out a metal roof is a bandaid?

I put a metal roof on a camp about 20 years ago. Strapped over shingles with 2x4. Still standing, and still waterproof.

I had metal roof on my last house. Greatest thing ever. I hate shingles.

I wouldn't take them down.

S.

Like Johnbacon mentioned, snow brakes or cleats are a must before any roof protrusions like chimneys, antenaes etc. Once the snow releases, it comes down fast and hard, wiping out anything in its path.

My neighbor has a steel roof and doesn't have the tabs. The snow builds up and then everything lets go at once and hits the ground like a freight train. If anybody was standing below it they wouldn't be found till springtime

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed many many many steel roofs in my career. Not once in a situation like yours have we ever taken the old shingles off. The only instance you would take them off is: if there is way too many layers on to start, meaning that the roof is caveing in to start. Generally we just use 1x4 rough strap nailed to rafter. metal overtop. As far as cost I would estimate approx. 1/3 more initial cost vs. shingles, however you have a product that should last 100 years or more if you keep the paint to it. Some valid points on here about fast sliding snow at doorways and stuff . there are some simple products to remedy that. I think where some of the different opinions are coming from are caused by what style of metal roof. For a cottage application I assume you are talking about a product like VicWest profile similar to Supervic(sheets). Where as some people are referring to the very architectaul looking metal (shingle look). I personally stay away from that style because of business reasons.(getting product 12 years from now and they are out of business) . A recent change in metal is a trend towards lighter guage (29) and it is high tensile. Again IMO I am still using the old standard 28 guage. If someone asked me to put steel on a simple roofline like the one you are explaing (cottage) I would say ok. If someone has a steep roof with alot of valleys I would say no way. Water runs super fast on metal and sealing at valleys can be a challenge that i stay away from personally. Any other advice I can give, I will.

Matt