NF - Need Some Roofing Advice

Oggie

My cottage (camp) is a remote area that's hard to get at in winter. The roof needs replacing and I'm wondering about a metal roof vs asphalt shingles. Any roofers on here?? I need to know the cost per roof square for a metal roof vs a shingle roof? How hard is it to do a metal roof? The camp is only about 20' by 15' with a cottage roof (ie. four sides that come to a common point),

Thanks for any infor or help.

Dan O.

Never put a metal roof over a existing asphalt shingle roof, strip off the old roof theres too much weight when you consider a layer (or two) of asphalt shingles, strapping and metal roofing. Especially on camp roof that in the winter may see a large amount of snow load, with no one there to shovel it off when needed.

It's a good pitch so I was kind of hoping the snow would break free every now and then to reduce the snow load. If I have to remove the old shingles I might just go with shingles again. It's a 70 year old log structure so the metal roof would outlive the life of the building.

dan O.

Strip old singles off , apply self sealing waterproof membrane , steel roof ... never to be touched again ... looks great , sounds even better under rainy skies .

Couldnt have said it any better myself right here....

Strapping and the metal's weight is negligible overall if your concerned about it

We strapped over our cottage roof (Shingles)--15 years ago---put metal over that---zero issues---between North Bay and Huntsville---l'il bit of snow---no shovelling

Look at the area for snow loads-----look at the Sault where some roofs have 3 feet of snow on them------

Who's shoveling your cottage roof now with just shingles??---fall in yet?---snow likely sticks on those shingles as well

That metal is not as heavy as you think---try hanging onto one sheet on a windy day----ultimately your call.

If it's a cottage style roof----whats the pitch---7/12?---if so snow comes off quickly

try walking on one with metal

I would not apply metal directly to shingles though.

Edited by bushart

this info taken off a metal roofing website.......

Metal Roofing FAQ pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png

RESIDENTIAL: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why Metal Roofing?
1) Metal Roofs are available in a wide variety of colors and shapes.
2) Long lasting colors with no nonsense warranties
3) Over 20 years of exceptional durability
4) Metal Roofing is noncombustible
5) Metal Roofing will not absorb or be damaged by water
6) Metal Roofing will shed ice and water in the winter
7) Most steel products are made with recycled steel and contain at least 25 percent recycled material.

Can Metal Roofing be installed over my old roof?
Yes! Metal roofing weighs less than 1.6 pounds per square foot, depending on the gauge. It will not normally over load existing roofs. Metal roofing can usually be installed right over asphalt or fiberglass roofing.

Will Metal Roofing improve the looks of my home?
Metal roofing offers a wide variety of panel profiles to choose from. Nearly any design appearance can be achieved when using metal. If you desire a bold looking roof, a high slim rib panel which crates interesting shadow lines, or a low profile design, metal affords you a wide choice.

lmao

i guess i better search the internet to find instructions on why not to leave shingles on the roof.

cut and paste.......must be an engineer LOL gotta love it........ next!!!

only reason to leave shingles on a roof and go over with metal is

1. your too cheap to pay someone to strip it off

2. your too lazy to do it yourself

do it once do it right

lmao

i guess i better search the internet to find instructions on why not to leave shingles on the roof.

cut and paste.......must be an engineer LOL gotta love it........ next!!!

only reason to leave shingles on a roof and go over with metal is

1. your too cheap to pay someone to strip it off

2. your too lazy to do it yourself

do it once do it right

I should respond with the meaning of "ASSUME"

But you likely know that

If your not sure of the qualifications because of the anonymity of internet members-----you should err on the side of caution--and refrain from smartass responses

The people behind the responses may know more than you believe

Take the shingles off , it shouldn't even be questioned , what if there's rot under them ?

Don't skimp out on the waterproof membrane , and no.. You can't put it over shingles , do it once do it right ..

The steel roof would be the last roof that that cottage will ever see .

Take the shingles off , it shouldn't even be questioned , what if there's rot under them ?

Don't skimp out on the waterproof membrane , and no.. You can't put it over shingles , do it once do it right ..

The steel roof would be the last roof that that cottage will ever see .

All this expertise

Yes you can put them over shingles

Who cares if there's rot underneath them

The strapping will grab every truss above the shingles and be the support for the metal roof

Not the plywood or boards underneath the shingle

If there's a concern that the trusses are comprimised---a quick trip into the attic space will determine-----if there's a truss problem---re-roofing of any kind won't help

I meant that you can't put a membrane on top of shingles .

I would for sure care about rot ...I wouldn't put Bondo or a sticker over the rusty spots on my truck ..

*edit impaired typos. .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

OK this is getting tiring

I see most provide only opinions---I gave info from the metal roof supplier at the very least

So I'll take my years of schooling---- 4 Ontario Provincial licences in building trades----One Interprovincial----29 years experience in construction/maintenance trades and concede that opinions are like fishin rods here---everyone's got one

So I'm quittin and say I'll just graduate from the OFC college of knowledge

No bashing or upping ... It's just what we did at my brothers cottage this past summer , old shingles off , found rot on the roof boards , replaced them , applied membrane and green steel roofing , chimney and two roof vents .

Sorry Bush , I never disagreed with you ... just stating what I'd be worried about .

Thanks guys. Bushart my camp is on the same latitude as yours. The roof has never been shovelled so metal would be an improvement especially once the warm, sunny days of March show up.

I hesitate to remove the shingles because they can't be disposed of any where nearby (I'm in the Park). They'd need to be trucked to Pembroke which is 50 miles away down a gravel road. The roof doesn't leak and I figured the existing shingles would be as good as a membrane underneath once the metal is installed. I would strap the roof first for sure.

Anyone have any idea as to cost for metal vs asphalt? I'm hearing double the asphalt cost to get a rough estimate.

Thanks again.

Dan O.

PS> I think we're all getting Cabin Fever with this weather!

Adding a metal roof over shingles should reduce the weight load, not increase it. Snow doesn't stick to a metal roof; the strapping and metal will be lighter than the snow that sticks to shingles.

I was never bothered by the noice on my parent's cottage which had a metal roof over shingles. My brother doesn't seem to have an issue with noice at his cottage which has a metal roof with no decking.

My parents went with large metal sheets over strapping on top of the existing shingles. I did notice more bugs in the cottage after that. I would look at metal shingles instead of the large sheets.

You should also remove the gutters from your roof if you go with metal; other wise the snow will take them off. I have seen some roofs with metal "brakes" installed to slow the speed that the snow slides off the roof.

Edited by JohnBacon

OK this is getting tiring

I see most provide only opinions---I gave info from the metal roof supplier at the very least

So I'll take my years of schooling---- 4 Ontario Provincial licences in building trades----One Interprovincial----29 years experience in construction/maintenance trades and concede that opinions are like fishin rods here---everyone's got one

So I'm quittin and say I'll just graduate from the OFC college of knowledge

Oddly enough, nearly every professional roofer around here removes shingles before installing the metal shingles. Have you much experience with installing metal roofs?

Considering the costs involved, maybe it would be beneficial to seek advice from a reputable metal roof installer?

Just me 2 cents worth. If you planning on doing it youself, metal sheets can be ordered in any length you want. However if your roof come to a single point, there will be a lot of cutting involved, unlike a standard 2 sided roof. Like Johnbacon mentioned, snow brakes or cleats are a must before any roof protrusions like chimneys, antenaes etc. Once the snow releases, it comes down fast and hard, wiping out anything in its path. (Don't ask how I know this :whistling: ). Nice to have them over the entrance too, if you use the camp during the winter. Once the snow falls it packs down pretty hard.

...Scotty