Would you call 911 - Sort of fishing

Reelaction

Great post guys. Rich I agree with you. They call the ice unsafe when its two ft thick.

Taxes should be covering the bill. A lot of other people get rescued from stupid stuff and they don't get fined.

Hello 911 you there? I am just calling to let you know I am going to die on the ice today. What ever you do don't send anyone out to get me because I don't want my girlfriend to have to pay the fine.

I am going to start a rescue service and undercut the fire dept. see how they like it when they don't have any calls to go to.

Is it illegal to walk on thin ice? NO

Is it illegal to smoke in bed? NO

Is it stupid to walk on thin ice? YES

Is it stupid to smoke in bed? YES

Can walking on thin ice put rescuers in a life threatening situation? YES

Can smoking in bed put rescuers in a life threatening situation? YES

Now answer these two questions for me:

Should a homeowner be charged for rescue from a fire?

Should an ice fisherman be charged for an ice rescue?

If the answers are different, please justify.

In the home instance yes you will pay for service.Thats just hoe it goes. Its not free for them to show up and put the fire out. You will get a bill. If you don't pay it gets added to your following years tax bill.

It depends on the municipality how much and what services you pay for.

For toronto here are the fees for an automobile response.

28. Emergency Response to vehicle incident - non City resident First hour or part thereof, per fire vehicle 300.00

29. Emergency Response to vehicle incident - non City Resident Each additional half hour or part thereof, per fire vehicle 120.00

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/1998/law0133.htm

Edited by jedimaster

How about this. If authorities want to make the call on whether the ice is actually safe or not, they have to go out and actually set foot on it, drill some holes, measure it, look for cracks.....you know....monitor the ice.

They call the ice unsafe, but in reality, they have no clue what the ice is like, and no experience on the ice. One persons safety level is much different than the next, but there are times when it is just stupid for a person to be on the ice. Take the last simcoe ice rescue for example, and the big ice break up last year as well.

S.

I have been doing a fair bit of digging and Search and Rescue charges are a big issue in many outdoors activities...I don't think any government body anywhere would ever say any ice is safe. Just like how the MNR wouldn't post signs saying there is hunting in this area ot hunting in that area to warn hikers. Doing so would mean they are accepting some sort of liability. I mean we have all heard them say "Ice if unsafe" have you ever heard them go back on tv and say "ok its been below 0 for a week and the ice is safe again". Never not gonna happen.

every ice rescue call in kawartha lakes requires 3 halls to respond.(dont mean to piss ppl off its the facts) you need your resuce crew and a backup crew and a R.I.T. (rapid intervention team) as well as ppl to set up equipment cause you cant do it in a rescure suit as well as ppl to help you into the suits, line handlers, incident commander and a scene safety officer. as well as medical crew and general equipment operators. it sounds like alot but ontario has lost a few FF's in the last few years due to ice rescue situations and protocols have changed big time it used to be a one hall 5 guy operations but workplace safety boards and section 21 guidlines have fire depts across ontario by the balls. ive been a volunteer for 7 years now and the changes have been drastic. we have never fined anyone for needing help though that just bad PR. mistakes are mad all the time!

Just got word back from OFAH, and they will not cover rescue fees. However they will cover medical transportation while fishing upto 1000 dollars to the nearest hospital.

should have asked them what they WOULD cover probably a shorter list then what they will cover lol

Two hours for labour and truck time, the poor guy would have been an ice cube! Maybe they should work on their response time.

I do believe we need a system to warn fisherman of ice conditions and if they do not yield then perhaps a fine. This bill seems crazy steep!

If there's that kind of $$ to be made we're going to see private operators like those vulture tow trucks that patrol the 401 near the COTU. Maybe fights breaking out about who got there first!? :whistling::wallbash:

I put in an order for a rescue air boat..and I am going to start an ice rescue service....they charge 5000.00 a rescue, i will charge 2000 bucks a rescue

wonder if I can get a number like 822 or *911 or 1800in the water

This one Terry.. wanna go halves?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANAIR-HOVERCRAFT-506-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item337f930524&item=221183673636&pt=Motors_Aircraft

It's even right here in Ontario... in Port Perry!

Edited by irishfield

Good thread. Lots of well thought out comments here. Here's my little anecdote for the someone who had asked whether or not you would be charged for the 911 response if someone makes the call on your behalf.

A few years ago my buddy was driving down the 400 when his truck overheated. He pulls over to the side, raises the hood, steam pouring out.....we've all seen it, not an emergency and the guy new exactly what was going on and how to handle it. A well intentioned passerby calls 911. Fire department shows up and have nothing to do when they get there so they hang out for a bit (doing whatever they can to make sure the scene is safe) and then drive back to the station. A few weeks go by and a bill for several hundred dollars arrives in the mail with my friends name on it. WTH!?!?!?!?????

He makes some calls, explains the scenario but is told it doesn't matter. Pay up. This is where it gets interesting, stay with me. My friend owned a landscaping business at the time so decides to go and cut the grass at a local government office (in the same municipality as where the firefighter bill came from) and after he's finished he drops an invoice on the desk for the same amount he was billed by the fire department.

A few weeks go by and he gets a cheque for cutting the grass, which he cashes and uses to pay his bill from the fire department.

His logic was this; I received a service for which I didn't ask for and was billed, I then provided a service to the same people for which they didn't ask for and were billed - we're even. True story.

LOL that man is my hero....too funny