Would you call 911 - Sort of fishing

Reelaction

You're the one who brought up laws.

Show us the law.

Law is based on common sence.

Is there laws for fishing YES

Are there laws for hunting.Yes

Are there laws for Ice fishing.yes.

Should theese laws be transferable to include all other sports or activities that include a resonable onus on the participant to exercice resonable judgment. ABSOLUTELY.

Explain how a cigarette in bed isn't stupidity, resulting in the endangerment of rescuers.

Smoking in bed is not stupidity, anymore then ice fishing is stupidity.

If the ones doing the smoking are negligent morons, then different story. Same as if the ones ice fishing in bad conditions are negligent morons...

Am I wrong in thinking that Neil was rescued from the shoreline? I recall reading a story about a firefighter rescuing a dog off a cliff and in turn having to call to be rescued? http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/man-and-dog-rescued-from-cliff-at-scarborough-bluffs-1.908991

I wonder what his bill was...Seems outrageous to me! I'd gladly throw 5 in the hat if anyone was taking up donations for this poor guy. Sounds like he devoted allot of his life molding young lives, and I'm sure makes more reasonable choices then most do.

Am I wrong in thinking that Neil was rescued from the shoreline? I recall reading a story about a firefighter rescuing a dog off a cliff and in turn having to call to be rescued? http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/man-and-dog-rescued-from-cliff-at-scarborough-bluffs-1.908991

I wonder what his bill was...Seems outrageous to me! I'd gladly throw 5 in the hat if anyone was taking up donations for this poor guy. Sounds like he devoted allot of his life molding young lives, and I'm sure makes more reasonable choices then most do.

That's what I was saying, there was no danger to rescuers at any time. All that was needed was medical attention.

people don't want to know the facts..not when you can call him a moron and proudly state your better then that

if you can't put someone down to build up your own ego, then whats the point of the interweb

Edited by Terry

Remember,now if we need a ambulance to come to our homes,and take us to the hospital.Not long after a bill comes in the mail.Heard that quite a few times.In the area of $50 bucks or so. The user fees are somewhat already in effect.Now that is a legitimet emergency.Out of our control,and we still pay.

Remember,now if we need a ambulance to come to our homes,and take us to the hospital.Not long after a bill comes in the mail.Heard that quite a few times.In the area of $50 bucks or so. The user fees are somewhat already in effect.Now that is a legitimet emergency.Out of our control,and we still pay.

We just got one 45$ bucks...because my 7 month pregnant girlfriend was having severe pain and I couldn't get her off the back steps. They responded 15 mins later...I live in a town of 2000 people...sat at the end of the driveway after loading her up for 10 mins...the hospital is literally a 1 min drive from my house...I beat them there.

I'm not following the parallel between icy walkways where you might break an ankle, to open water in the winter where you might die.

so you don't see sidewalks near roads..you never hear of someone falling on a sidewalk and ending up on the road..there are cars and trucks on the road that can hit that person that falls on icy sidewalks..well is it not stupid to walk on slippy sidewalks..they should be charged hell fined , even if it's their estate, because they are dead from the truck that hit them

and I will bet you any amount of money that more people have died from falling on sidewalks the icefishing..and I will bet there has been more rescues of falls then icefishing...

and again my point charge/ fine every time firemen leave the station or not at all do single out fishermen

what the hell are you talking about? I have been ice fishing 40 years and never heard of one fireman or cop death responding to a ice rescue.

Hoppy

what the hell are you talking about? I have been ice fishing 40 years and never heard of one fireman or cop death responding to a ice rescue.

Hoppy

Google how many Cops or firefighters are killed each year Just responding to calls be it water rescue, assaults, vechicle accidents etc..

Tell ya whats scares me now. We have had this mild weather for 2 days up here. (snow gone over night)I seen a guy spud two holes that had to be 1.5x1.5 ft on sunday.Both Terry and I couldnt believe it. We had a good 6-7 inches of black ice. Im sure they are now 2x2 ft. Now we have this snow sqaul coming for the next three days with minus temps . You can bet,those holes are not going to froze over . So,I walk out on a good 6+ inches of black ice,that I know is there,and find one of these holes falling in. Break a leg.

This is my fault?

I can see the point of a gps,but come on,some can,and cannot afford one.

I have been caught out in a fog on the ice. We stood pat,drilled holes and waited it out.

Edited by Misfish

When I had the house and hut at Big Bay, Point that was a common occurence.Chainsawing a hole was the thing to do.As Brian said,if you move your hut and don't mark it,or some daily guys didn't use augers only chainsaws.I'm glad I didn't take a wrong step.Another catch 22,who pays the rescue,hopefully not I. I think ice will continue to be a grey area as it can be here today,and gone tomorrow ,thick today,thin tomorrow etc. Common sense is all we have.

I can't help but look at it this way also , Who was the smart one who decided to send 4 firetrucks and 15 firefighters to pull one man up onto the bank to saftey ??????

I never said they were not stupid, and I hope I make better choicesbut every single rescue of any type puts the firemen at risk , fires are about the most dangerous rescues going and water/ ice rescues in ontario are among the safest rescues going..and if you look at how few rescuers have died in water/ ice rescues in ontario, they stats will prove me right[/

What exactly makes ice water rescues safer?? Have you done one ??? Have you rescued someone from a fire?? Statistics are a funny thing they can be twisted and debated, but until you've tried or experienced what your statistically stating you really have no idea as to what your talking about.Your told its unsafe, yet you go anyway? Your fined and paying the city/town BOTTOM LINE .But I think it's fair you should be granted a court date to justify your risk.

Edited by RyanMc

You didn't answer the question...

Explain? There are hundreds of activities that are perfectly safe, and not stupidity if they are done properly. ( and if those performing the activities have some common sense. ) Get some people doing those same activities, and they are lacking in the common sense department, well then those same activities can be very dangerous.

Such as Smoking in bed, or ice fishing, or boating, or biking, and the list goes on and on...

I'm just looking at the other side of the argument, that's all.

I choose to stay off thin ice, under warm conditions because I realize that there is a much higher risk of going through.

Look at it this way - you're having your morning coffee at the cottage looking out over the lake in January when its +12C and some moron drives his truck out without checking and goes through the 4 inches of crap ice. Now it's up to you to risk your own life to pull pinhead out of the drink.

Is the guy negligent or unlucky?

Personally I would be pissed that I had to endanger my life because of someone else's stupidity.

Thats funny, cuz if i did go risk my life to go help said person, I'd like to see how it flies when I ask him to pay for my rescue services.