I got out to Lake Simcoe recently with some TonyB and friends for a good group of six of us. One of the nice things about ice fishing is the social aspect of being able to get out in larger groups, and sometimes meet new people. You can't do this in most fishing boats.

We headed out slowly just as it was getting light out, making sure to check ice conditions as we went. We got to an area that looked good in 100 feet of water and set up without a soul around. Before we knew it we were completely surrounded by hundreds of anglers and our sonars had a lot of interference. The fish must have been in the area recently with the amount of anglers there. We tried all kinds of things with only a couple bites and lazy looks on sonar to show for our efforts after a couple hours of daylight. We had to move... but where? Everywhere we looked around us had quiet anglers not getting much. Without any clues as to depth or location, we had to make a big decision. We thought about two things; moving shallow or deep away from everyone. Nobody wanted to make the call in our group at first, but we eventually decided as a group to make the trek out to deeper water well away from any anglers.

We moved out to 123 feet of water and looked on sonar. We immediately saw several fish on sonar at once and we spread out and set up. It didn't take long and Johnny got into a nice laker. Once we were all set up and jigging, the action was fast and furious. It was non-stop action one after another! My tip-up line with an emerald shiner and jigs were both taking shots, although jigging was by far the best approach. It is so much fun watching fish teased into biting on sonar. It never gets old! A jig and pause worked well at times, as did reeling up a foot or two and pausing, then reeling up again and pausing. They hit on the pause and you can totally read their behavior on sonar to realize which approach would work best on individual fish.

We lost a few absolute beasts that pulled almost all our lines out at times making for an even more exciting time. These are the days that we live for. Pure adrenaline action-packed fun where everyone in your group is hammering fish!!!

Sadly, I had to leave midday, even though the action was still hot. That was a very tough thing to walk away from, but I am a man of my word and family comes first. It was ok, I got more fish in a couple hours than many full days spent on the ice at times. I was content, and we all had an absolute blast.

The heavy snow and mild weather this week will spoil the ice. We only had approximately 3.5- to 4-inches of black ice on the weekend, so it will not be safe for a while. Make sure you take all precautions when you think it is safe enough to venture out. Wearing a flotation suit and carrying ice pics is a good idea. So is a buddy system and a floating rope.

Enjoy the photos :) These are from my phone.

Simcoe_Ice_01_zps72ea96b3.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_02_zpsed9931f6.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_03_zps610692e5.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_04_zps8cbcfc70.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_05_zps55aa1057.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_06_zps83d70d52.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_07_zpsf7d8f2cc.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_08_zpse7756ca9.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_09_zps97daab5a.jpg

Simcoe_Ice_10_zpse8f53f57.jpg

My wife broiled the whitefish I brought home for something different, and it was great! Much healthier than frying it in oil as well :)

Simcoe_Ice_11_zps9e6bd7f0.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Small world Aaron.

We were set up closer to shore than you guys. Had I've known it was you and Tony, I would have popped out to say "Hi". Some of those pressure cracks opened up and shifting when we got off the ice. The scariest moment was when my buddy was ahead of me by about 60 ft. The ice cracked and shifted about 14 inches. I should have taken a picture of it as you could see the shift by his sled tracks and foot prints. we got a late start but did put a hurten on lakers and a few whities.

When did you start doning the beard and stache?

Cheers, Ron....

Edited by Ron

Aaron.............I :whistling: am so happy for u guys and so jealous at the same time.......we lived 3 miles from where u were fishing for 18 years,,,,,,,,,fished those grounds 100s of times , miss those whitefish,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmm good, :clapping: might have to fly back and have a day with yourselves, those are days u never forget. Good 4 you and look forward to more great reports.

Cheers Blizz