Help Choosing Spinning Rod

manjo39

Hi All, I'm considering a Loomis 6'6 SJR782 IMX (new, waiting for the rod trade in at BPS) or the Bronzeback SMR 752S-SP 6'3" (BPS does not have this in stock).

Would be using the rod for Walleye (jerkbaits, jigs) and Bass (jerkbaits, skipping, shakey-head, dropshotting).

I'm a short guy and want a shorter rod (vs. 7' and above).

I like the bronzeback foregrip/handle better than the IMX, but am not convinced in the blank quality/sensitity vs the IMX and would be able to get the IMX at the rod trade in.

I'm also considering a Dobyns based on reviews, but they are very hard to find in a brick and mortar store and I haven't felt one in my hand, which is mandatory for me before I buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments of a similar rod to the Loomis IMX?

(I am not a St. Croix guy).

I have found all of my loomis rods to feel tip heavy, so if you like to keep your tip low they are good. All of the expensive rods will provide good feedback, I would highly suggest you go to a shot that will let you put a spooled reel onto the rod and feel how it feels for balance.

I would take a look at the cumulus rods they are super light and very very sensitive.

I have 3 culumuls rods and love them, Ti guides and I hear they are built on a loomis glx blank....but you are paying about 150 bucks just for the Ti guides

take a look at the 2013 cumara rods, designed for bass, a few shorter models for work fishing, built on the same blank as the discontiued cumulas minus the Ti guides, it has K concept guides which I'm interested to try out

on par price with the other rods you're looking at

I have found all of my loomis rods to feel tip heavy, so if you like to keep your tip low they are good. All of the expensive rods will provide good feedback, I would highly suggest you go to a shot that will let you put a spooled reel onto the rod and feel how it feels for balance.

Thanks for the feedback. That is why I am considering the Dobyns. The review compared similar rods including Loomis and stated that it was the most balanced. Just don't know where I can feel one in my hand with a reel attached before buying.

I prefer short rods (6'0"-6'3") for jerk baits, but a longer rod (6'8"-7'2") for walleye jigging.

Some guys like long rods for jerk baits - all personal preference.

If you want a stick to do both applications, go with the 6'6".

Thanks, I'm on the fence between buying a 6'3" MH and a 6'8" M or ML vs. just one 6'6"

I would take a look at the cumulus rods they are super light and very very sensitive.

I was also considering the cumulus and cumara, but basspro doesn't carry them. Do you know where I can find them?

ML power is too light for jerkbaits. I find M too soft too.

I also agree with this, but I would have to get two rods MH for jerkbaits and a M or ML for lighter applications. Trying to get away with just one rod. Maybe I will have come down in price range and get two rods.

Checkout the Rapala Concept Ti. I have the 6'8" and it's sweet.

I've use many expensive rods and this spinning rod is great deal. I'm comparing to NRX, GLX, Zbone, DX, and Steez.

I do have a Rapala Shift Baitcast rod and like it. Haven't seen the Concept Ti in the store. Do you know who carry's them?

the 783, a version heavier than the 782 has been my go to rod for many years!

What do you use the 783 rod for? I think it may be a little too heavy for Walleye jigging.

I have 3 culumuls rods and love them, Ti guides and I hear they are built on a loomis glx blank....but you are paying about 150 bucks just for the Ti guides

take a look at the 2013 cumara rods, designed for bass, a few shorter models for work fishing, built on the same blank as the discontiued cumulas minus the Ti guides, it has K concept guides which I'm interested to try out

on par price with the other rods you're looking at

Do you know who in the GTA carries the cumara?

Edited by manjo39

I also have a cumara and a cumulus. The cumara are reall great buys, sensitive, good warrranty and wow are they ever light. I like it far above my loomis gl2, but I think a heavier reel on the loomis would make a big difference. They used to sell them at JB's Fishing Depot near martin grove and 401, not too sure where else I have seen them. I think the cumara's shortest setup is 6'8" a very good overall length. I use a 6' st.croix for skipping or when I am working in tight cover, a 6'6" for jerk baits, otherwise all of my other rods are all 7' or longer. The longer rods take some getting used to but they do offer some benefits. More power setting the hook, a bit more casting distance, I find them easier to control a big fish near the boat and big bass(the 5+ pounders) don't run under the boat as far as they do with a shorter rod.

I think over all I would say I am a shimano guy but the warranty issues I have had in previous years hae started to push me away to St.Croix There was a time when all I had was Loomis or Shimano, but now my St.Croix's outnumber my shimano's

Edited by jedimaster

Bigger jerks need stiffer rods.

Lol, I hope that was a pun cuz thats certainly how I read it.

In truth, I personally find a stiff rod can rip the three trebles out more than help.. but my dad is the opposite and has used a telephone pole for jerkbaiting for years. We both catch fish.

Most of the time, the fish I catch on jerkbaits have a face full of hooks...they tend to T-bone the bait instead of grabbing it from behind.

I've never had a problem ripping a hook from a smallie's mouth.

Jerkbaiting for smallies is so 1998 :whistling:

Hey, if it ain't broke...I am bored to death by senkos.

I hear ya man. Senkos are like using live worms. I was jk.. i just dont fish smallies that often. When a largie hits a jerk they usually nip the side or roll on it and the hooks can and will pull out. I was more referring to largies. Pike too. Pike tend to miss a lot.

What do you use the 783 rod for? I think it may be a little too heavy for Walleye jigging.

I use the rod for Kawartha eyes in the spring and Quinte eyes in the fall.

- ripping bucktails

- jerkbait

- lipless crank

- slow retrieve swimbaits

- weeded area for senko bass fishing