New Reel Advice (bass)

Luke V.

Chris,

I get that the higher line reteive speed will be good for qucik hook sets. However do they have enough power to winch/pull a 6-7 pound bass through thick slop?

That is why I was think the lower gear ratio.

revo sx; Rario 7:1:1, 12lb Drag

Those drag numbers only seemed to have become an issue since they made it one? How many of us fish for bass in an area where 15 - 20 pounders are present? Just my view? It is a marketing ploy. Granted you are in an area where bigger fish are present, muskie, pike and such, just my experience fishing up north? If your not using a steel leader, floro or whatever it might not matter much anyway?

LOL, I competed in bass tournaments here for 30 years or so, locating them was always more of an issue that the tackle I was using. Once I stuck them? loosing them was never an issue unless I made a poor hook choice for the water, light wire hooks aren`t the way to go in slop, or where bigger than average fish are common.

You bring up a very good point.

Yes there are bigger fish in the areas that I fish in. However running into one or two would not be a deciding factor for my reel choice.

No I don't live in an area where there are bass even close to 15 lbs. but it was just a compassion.

I don't muscle my fish to the boat. I tend to play them out and let them come to me. How ever fighting fish in heavy cover, around docks, pilings, etc it seems to me that the goal is to get the fish away from the cover as quickly as possible.

So if it has a higher drag, it won't be able to pull any line, and if I were hauling a big clump of weed with it I would not be under powered.

Those drag numbers only seemed to have become an issue since they made it one? How many of us fish for bass in an area where 15 - 20 pounders are present? Just my view? It is a marketing ploy. Granted you are in an area where bigger fish are present, muskie, pike and such, just my experience fishing up north? If your not using a steel leader, floro or whatever it might not matter much anyway?

LOL, I competed in bass tournaments here for 30 years or so, locating them was always more of an issue that the tackle I was using. Once I stuck them? loosing them was never an issue unless I made a poor hook choice for the water, light wire hooks aren`t the way to go in slop, or where bigger than average fish are common.

Understood but the concern is the slop and junk that comes into play when flipping cover so its nice to know you have the drag power to rip through and haul in when the need arises.

Just a side note, BPS carries some great reels at an affordable price. Just because a major brand name isn't stamped onto the side plate doesn't mean they aren't worthy of a look. It doesn't always have to cost $200+ to purchase a well made reel that can be functional, reliable and be so for years. All that glitters is not gold.

Edited by moxie

i would grab a shimano chronarch 51E small and light weight 6.3 to 1 gear ratio power and speed in one! can usually find one on sale for a good price. fishing world usually has a great spring sale each season with amazing prices. i would bump up the 50lb line though. use 65lb power pro super slick, or 25lb flouro. better to have more line power and not need it then less and break off. and it happens lol.

i know u mentioned the chronarch was at the top of ur price range, but it is well worth the money. i own 2 for flipping, and 4 other chronarchs with more coming this year!

drag # would be the least of my concerns, my chronarch D7 has less drag power than an Abu but I never had issues hauling fish out of junk.

I'd be more concerned about gear material and design as that would directly impact the reliability and smoothness of the reel. Say if you get a used Zillion, you can always get a set of carbontex drag for about $10.

Understood but the concern is the slop and junk that comes into play when flipping cover so its nice to know you have the drag power to rip through and haul in when the need arises.

Just a side note, BPS carries some great reels at an affordable price. Just because a major brand name isn't stamped onto the side plate doesn't mean they aren't worthy of a look. It doesn't always have to cost $200+ to purchase a well made reel that can be functional, reliable and be so for years. All that glitters is not gold.

I have used everything from 60`s and 70`s era Abu`s and Shimano`s from the late 70`s on up, even some spin casting reels at times, I usually had the drag as tight as I could get it for flipping, and it was never an issue.

If you ever saw Bassmasters from the 1970`s? all you saw was a lot of round red reels, they seemed to be able to do everything with them? but that doesn`t sell new more expensive products? Not implying that today`s tackle doesn`t have some advantages.

Just pick a reel that is comfortable. It doesn't matter which reel you end up choosing, almost every reel is capable of getting the job done. The reason why people prefer a fast gear ratio is to pick up slack line quickly to make the next cast. In reality, a 6:0 vs. 7:0 is like 3 inches per turn and in close distances, you won't notice a thing. Don't use a cranking reel (5:0) because you don't need the torch from the reel, once you set the hook, it's all about your rod moving fish out of cover. If you don't have enough power, then you need another rod that will give you that power. As for drag, I've never had an issue with that for bass fishing, the guys down south are using the same gear we are and they catching bass 2x our size.

My vote is also for either the Shimano Curado 200E7 (7:1 gear ratio), or the new shimano chronarch 200E7 (basically the same reel as the old 200E curados)... I have 7 of the curados and do alot of slop fishing, frogs and flipping, and NEVER had a problem getting 4's and 5's out of the grass, so as someone mentioned earlier, I wouldn't worry too much about the drag. As you mentioned, you already picked out a rod, so when you go buy a reel, take the rod with you and try potential reels out on it, see how it feels, because at the end of the day, you have to be flipping with it all day and an unbalanced setup won't be fun.

Good luck

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Ah_long, brings up another great point. The gears will see a high amount of shear stress on the teeth, leading me towards a reel with better material for the gear set.

From all of the posts about drag, and drag pressure its leading me away from need a high drag pressure for this.

I would love to be able to put a chronarch on the rod. New ones are too much for what I am willing to spend, finding a used one isnt the easiest as people like to hold onto good gear.

Lighter weight will make a difference after a long day and making a couple 100 casts/pitches. Ballance will also play a large roll in the reel I choose.

Once I get the rod, we will see what reel I end up choosing.

I just got a flipping stick at the end of the season but I plan on putting my curado E7 on it. I decided on a dobyns champion 765c and it seems like a very nice rod.

The chronarch D7 or core 100mg7 would be my top choices but availability and price (respectively) are limiting factors.

Buy a used superfree curado or cronarch off ebay. All you will need for flipping/pitching. As for darg, there should be none. So as long as it holds, all that matters,

Spending lots of money on a flipping/pitching reel is a complete waste of moola IMO.

that money s better spent on spinning gear.

edit to add...

AS for line. Straight braid, 50 to 65lb is perfect. As for 'kind"... for this technique you need basic braid. Cheap(fray, lose colour - who cares. Strip 20 ft, continue). Colour.. whatever floats your boat. I use bright yellow as do most my buds now. Colour the end with a sharpie.

Edited by Harrison

I'm a Shimano Curado fan too.

High speed reel is a must. Think about how many presentations you will be making - now think about how much line you will be pulling in each time.

If you already picked out a rod, I say go into your local shop and put on a reel. Make sure the reel feels comfortable and doesn't cause your hand to cramp. Ergonomics will play a huge factor on how long you will fish...

GL

Thanks for everyone's replys.

I ended up grabbing the Quantum off of Court R.

Good deal and a decent reel.

Threw some 65# power pro on it yesterday.

Tested it out in the garage for an hour or so. Seems like it will work really good