Fishing a Haliburton back lake this weekend...

castgame

awesome on you guys for tenting it. wish I had of seen this post sooner. a liter of water with a dozen dace minnows would have lasted the night, punch a few holes in the bottle and sink it overnight, wont freeze. dew worms on a set line would have been a good idea as well.

none the less i'm surprised you didn't get any, its heavily stocked every two years and stocked in 2012, a handful of of small 10-14 inchers should have been hungry. although similar to brookies they can be picky. weather change over the weekend likely didn't help.

hopefully the next report has just as nice of scenery and a few fish mixed in as well.

awesome on you guys for tenting it. wish I had of seen this post sooner. a liter of water with a dozen dace minnows would have lasted the night, punch a few holes in the bottle and sink it overnight, wont freeze. dew worms on a set line would have been a good idea as well.

none the less i'm surprised you didn't get any, its heavily stocked every two years and stocked in 2012, a handful of of small 10-14 inchers should have been hungry. although similar to brookies they can be picky. weather change over the weekend likely didn't help.

hopefully the next report has just as nice of scenery and a few fish mixed in as well.

maybe next time i'll bring some minnows in out of desperation. i prefer to fish artificias only, but these splake are beginning to frustrate me!

you seem to know exactly where i ended up! how'd you manage that piece of deduction?

i'm thinking in retrospect i should have drilled a lot of holes in different locations right off the bat, and then let them sit a while before fishing them. in less than 10' of water, an auger grinding and piercing the ice has got to spook any fish nearby. i probably should have been coming back to pre-drilled holes after letting them sit an hour or so. it was tough, though, because with the low temps and blowing snow, holes were disappearing fast. oh well, i'll test this tactic next time in hopefully better conditions.

maybe next time i'll bring some minnows in out of desperation. i prefer to fish artificias only, but these splake are beginning to frustrate me!

you seem to know exactly where i ended up! how'd you manage that piece of deduction?

I also used the map to try and figure it out, comparing with my maps, I couldn't do it, your secret's still safe

no, cancel that, I got it, that's a great lake, for the size of it, they stock alot of splake in there

Edited by chris.brock

i have my ways

many splake lake trout and specks i have caught have been immediately after drilling a hole. often in less than 3 fow. going back to them never hurts. worms may also be a good way to entice a picky trout. hopefully next trip in is more successful.

774260_10152423131065694_652745193_o.jpg

approximate locations of holes we fished. would any of you guys done anything differently? that stream on the left of this picture is an inflow -- i wanted to put a couple holes down near the mouth but it was fairly shallow (3'-6') and i wasn't too confident in the quality of the ice around current.

All I see is Scoobie Doo !

That said.. splake... suspect similar to square tails.. I'd be fishing the 5 to 6 fow around the shore line and waiting for them to make their lap around the lake.

Edited by irishfield

Great report. Looking forward to getting into the back country this winter.

BTW, it was pretty fun trying to figure out which lake you were on, but I think you might have made it a bit too easy ;)

maybe so. a half dozen posters now know you can walk for 3 hours into this lake, fish it all day long, and not get a hit ;)

Edited by castgame

Nice report and photos! Looks like a good time to me! Too bad no fish. That's the story of my life though, lol. Still doesn't lower my enthusiasm one bit!

Looking at the depth map of that lake it looks like a tough one for Splake IMO. It's fairly deep. Not sure where I would start. I see a few points that drop off pretty fast, so I'd probably start with those in <10 FOW. My experience (in fall at least ) is similar to what Irishfield said. They seem to just make laps around the lake or something because the fish are there for a bit and then vanish.

Nice report and photos! Looks like a good time to me! Too bad no fish. That's the story of my life though, lol. Still doesn't lower my enthusiasm one bit!

Looking at the depth map of that lake it looks like a tough one for Splake IMO. It's fairly deep. Not sure where I would start. I see a few points that drop off pretty fast, so I'd probably start with those in <10 FOW. My experience (in fall at least ) is similar to what Irishfield said. They seem to just make laps around the lake or something because the fish are there for a bit and then vanish.

depth map? where'd you find a depth map?!