Some thoughts on Lake Nipissing

TJQ

Lots of issues and factors at work on a big lake but one aspect that hasn't been mention is that general make-up of the lake has changed.

water chemistry ("cleaner" then past decades)

introduced species (Spiny water flees et al)

resurgence of species (Cormorants)

types of bait fish (Smelt)

availability of bait fish (see above cormorants)

etc

One thing that has hardly changed one bit from the 70's is the way many of the anglers try to catch the walleye on Nipissing.

Early season: Soak minnows on points and if that doesn't work soak minnows in bays. If you want to be cutting edge you use worms early.

"Later" in the season (second weekend after opener) soak worms on points and if that doesn't work drag crawler harnesses if there is enough wind.

And when you don't catch as many fish as you remember "you used to catch" blame it on: early spring, late spring, spring interrupted, minnows were too big, minnows were too small, minnows died too easily, tourist kept too many, locals kept too many and finally "I should have been here yesterday".

This, of course, does not apply to all but I hear this every year from people fishing walleye on Nipissing. And yes, some are family.

I don't remember using minnows once after opening weekend last year. Worms all spring, summer, fall.

And Rob........sometimes we troll our worm harnesses. :P

Edited by Nipfisher

Ha...! good post kickingfrog...! :)

We actually have many satified customers who have no problems catching nice size walleyes every year (their most common complaint is too many slot size (40-60 cm fish).

For walleyes, instead of the tradional minnows / then nightcrawlers off points, I started using double twisters tails, years ago, drifting the cabbage. Then last couple years back to the points using tube baits... all with good success. It's good to mix things up..!

:)

We actually have many satified customers who have no problems catching nice numbers of walleyes each year. Their biggest complaint is too many slot size fish. Other customers catch good numbers of small-mouth and large-mouth bass, pike and good size muskies (average musky is often near 45 inches).

I have been more concern about the northern pike popluation over walleys the last few years... but walleyes get all the attention

Give me two walleyes and a couple or just one 20" northern for a shore lunch and I will have some great eating and probably more than I can eat!

:wacko:

Cap. thanks for chiming in. I as you know have been fishing with you all for 6 years plus. I fish for pike most of the time and rarely go for Walleye but there are some big Walleye in the weeds. I do think that it should be billed as a multi species place because of the strong catches of Bass,Muskie,Perch and Pike. The Walleye I can't speak for since to me it is a by catch species in my style of fishing.

Art

The MNR budget seems to be an easy target for the Toronto centric politicians. I wish they took it more seriously but they have nothing to lose by cutting the $$$. We as anglers need to be more vocal with mpp's as we are often portrayed as a nuicance rather than a benefit. Policy seems to be based on cost, not what's best for the fishery....

Truth is, for many years the vast majority of serious walleye fishermen have passed on Nipissing, Personally after 3 consecutive declining years for us, each year being 2 week "hunts", and given that walleye are our primary target, we'll probably pass on the lake this year. First time in more than 10 years we won't be enjoying this beautiful lake, but in the end it is a fishing vacation, so we'll move to more productive water. If I were interested in bass, musky, or pike, however, the arm remains an excellent fishery. As for restocking, I find it inconceivable that stocking works so many places but won't work here. Especially if the brood stock is taken from the lake. I think what's going on is a little cat and mouse game, Your MNR not willing to invest in restocking walleye without agreements to restrict commercial fishing. One would think that at some point as the populations continue to decline the commercial fishermen will find other productive employment. No one can stay in business without a profit, and as that occurs the lake will likely rebound if efforts are in place to wipe out those cormorants. In the meantime though, I would agree, the lake should be billed as a multi-species lake.

Maybe we should make up our own Idle No More posters and blockade the fish processing plant on Nip... since the depletion of all species in the lake due to gill netting is not conducive to mother nature's continued well being.. :whistling:

HH

Can't help but wonder how long the nets have been there and all of a sudden the fishery is suffering, If the lake cannot handle the harvest on it as it was for years then looking at other enviromental issues is a must, I am going to say that with all communities around this amazing lake growing we have a pollution issue like silting in of gravel beds, zebra/quagga mussels and water clarity change predator/prey relation ships do to water clarity, unstabe water levels

these are the biggest challenges facing kawartha lakes as well

Hello everyone.

I don't post very often,but I have to throw out my 2 cents on this.Great post T.J.Q!!!

I have been fishing this lake since I was a young boy and have made my living fishing for the last 25 years.I have seen many changes to this lake over the years,some good ,some not so good!
I sat on the PAC committee as an "Angler at Large(along with Kevin and many other wonderful knowledgeable people)The 2 walleye limit was the lease painful of the 37(i believe)options that were put forth by the M.N.R and some of the PAC members.
I've had to answer many questions and reply to many comments about these new rules,and most people will tell me how my business is going to suffer and then complain about the natives gill netting.
My business may suffer,I don't know.I survived the limit going from 6 to 4 then the slot limit,shorter seasons,and now 4-2.Fishing success for me is not measured by getting my limit.I enjoy getting out on the water,its an investment in yourself,its a social event.The best part of fishing for me is SETTING THE HOOK.I have never had a hook set that I didn't enjoy,and I don't care if its a pike,perch,bass,herring or walleye,everyone is awesome!

As far as gill netting is concerned,everyone needs to understand that the natives will always be able to gill net Lake Nipissing.The M.N.R could close this lake for recreational fishing and the native people will still be able to gill net.Its a fact of life , and the finger pointing analegy has to stop!I can tell you that the N.F.N and Dokis First Nations are on side and have made and will continue to make positive changes to the way they fish.Having said that, we as recreciational anglers,must change our ways also.Slot sizes and limits are in place for a reason and EVERYONE should be following the rules!We will only be able to have a properous fishery if we ALL work together!
I am personnally disappointed with the way the M.N.R has managed the lake over the last 15-20 years,and with shrinking budgets and less staff I really don't see things improving in the future.The Lake Nipissing Stakeholders Assoc.is trying to ramp up our Walleye Restocking efforts and the M.N.R can't even make a decision in a timely fashion to let us proceed.I had the opportunity to visit a Walleye Aquacultural Facility on Manitoulin Island this summer,they successfully are raising Walleyes from egg form to 7.5" fish within 6 months,bypassing the critical period for them to become food for other preditors.The M.N.R has granted us a license to take 2 million eggs a year for as long as I remember.We would like to take 6 million this year and release them at different stages throughout the spring,summer and fall.If you are interested in what we are trying to do,please visit www.lnsa.com.

This is my 2 cents for what it's worth.Happy Fishing and BASS Regards.

Rob Hyatt.

Fishing is not something the GTA really care’s about. This is a trend that will continue as more kids grow up not experiencing the outdoors.

Why the MNR did this.

1. People have to kill less fish. Same as the spring bear hunt good thing for a vocal animal rights group in the GTA

Yea, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in the GTA that care about fishing. Soooo, I'm not really sure where you're going with that.