Killing the fish

stendec

You've been a member for 2 months and have 20 comments. I'm pretty sure we want an active community, which often hinges on folks who have differing opinions. So personally, I welcome views that differ from mine, because it gives me the chance to reestablish or reconsider why I think or act a certain way.

Insulting others isn't a great way to start off participating in this forum. Oh, and it's "site".

Guess I've been told.

I will also ensure my gramar is correct. At least until I have 500 posts.

Did not mean to offend anyone.

My comment could have been worded differently and simply meant that if we argue the merits of fish having feelings but we continue to pursue them with sharp hooks for our selfish pleasure.........aren't we being a bit of a hypocrite.

Guess I've been told.

I will also ensure my gramar is correct. At least until I have 500 posts.

Did not mean to offend anyone.

My comment could have been worded differently and simply meant that if we argue the merits of fish having feelings but we continue to pursue them with sharp hooks for our selfish pleasure.........aren't we being a bit of a hypocrite.

Try the finger trick, it'll take your mind off of the hypocracy of the whole thing... just sayin!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I don't know how this thread continues after what Roy quoted (HeadHunter) and then replied to...... Went out for a couple of hours to run some errands and laughed myself silly in the process...... Anything said after that sequence seems rather irrelevant and should be deleted, in mho....smirking as I press ENTER.......... :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: . 45 goin on 14 i guess :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

not that it's the right thing to do, in the Ontario Hunting Course, they said take your shot (big game, deer, moose etc), then stay in you tree stand for 1/2 hour before you go looking for the animal...

you're suggesting that every hunter has been instructed to do the wrong thing by waiting 30 minutes? pushing a wounded animal into the next county where you'll probably lose the blood trail and never recover it is a better idea? unless you see or hear it go down, it's usually a good idea to wait a little bit to give the animal time to expire.

many deer are lost every year due to new/impatient hunters pushing wounded animals rather than giving them time to expire. the idea of giving a wounded animal time to die so you can actually recover it has been around since the spear throwing days...

Edited by ch312

How many hunters would hit a deer with a non lethal shot and let it lay there in the snow for an hour till it died? Dispatch it quickly and enjoy a fantastic fish fry!

this doesn't happen as a deer with a non lethal wound wouldn't lay down within sight and wait for a hunter to finish it off. it may eventually bleed out, which is why hunters are taught to give the animal time to lay down and die before attempting to retrieve the animal if it runs out of sight and/or farther than normal. if you pressure a wounded animal you may force it to run which dramatically lowers the chance of recovering the animal. it's recommended to leave a wounded animal for a half hour to overnight, depending on what it was shot with, where it was hit, and how it reacted to the shot. typically, a deer shot in the "boiler room" will expire well within 100 yards whether shot with a firearm or bow and can be retrieved immediately.

the only time a deer would drop on the spot and require a follow up shot is after a spine shot which is definitely lethal, just not very nice to watch. most hunters i know would gladly finish off the animal.

you're comparing giraffes to cucumbers here :D

Just eat 3 cloves of garlic before u go fishing. When u catch a fish just breath on it then u wont have to worry what other options are available really, .......maybe more people should work on a farm and as for new people on the board welcome but understand it is not like the other board..................................this one is far superior in every which way, whether it be in dealing with technical help, support with family losses, fishing tips etc. :canadian:

I snap the neck on anything I keep. This includes steelhead. I have never tried it on a large king, but only keep them for skein anyway. They usually expire quickly anyway. Typically I keep perch, pickerel, crappie, and on occasion I keep steelies, usually when I need some skein, however I do eat smoked trout, but typically give away kings that I keep. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do. It kills instantly, bleeds the fish out, keeps the meat fresh, and you will have no blood while cleaning, nor any blood in your eggs if your harvesting some roe as well. Only way to fly IMHO, and I've been doing it for nearly 20 years now! Give it a try. I will add, I think all the purposefully distasteful comments about letting them flop and suffer for enjoyment, watching them gasp etc.. Are extremely distasteful.

Edited by porkpie