Killing the fish

stendec

I once threw 12 Walleye 2 Pike and a bunch of Perch in our 20' Intex swimming pool , they lasted for more than a week , you should've seen my sons reaction after school , he swam with the fishes until our fishfry :)

He named Fredo by any chance? :whistling:

I never really gave it much thought. Once I have made the decision to keep the fish in my mind I guess I already consider it dead because I have made the decision that it is now food. I have seen nature shows where animals are ripping apart there prey while it is still alive. It is what it is.

If your going to release the fish I say do everything possible to get it back in the water as quickly as possible. If you have made the decision to keep it for food, well then however you proceed from there on out is up to you.

For best quality of meat, a little rigor mortis is necessary, I think. But If you're interested in an efficient means of fish killing, and also keeping flesh quality in mind, I would get the hang of Ikijime. This is the Japanese method of inserting a spike (an iki spike) into the fishes brain, causing it instant brain death, and apparently, blood from the muscles to travel to the gut. When you hit the right spot (between the eye and the false operculum) you will know it, because the the jaw will pop fully open, all the fins will flare, and then the fish will just go limp and be dead as a doornail. A filet knife works in place of the spike.

Edited by DoubleDigits

i always make a quick slice of the neck to bleed them out and the fish is dead within a few seconds.the perch i throw on the ice and they freeze in a minute or so.i have seen guys throw pike on the ice and a half hour later they are still flopping around on the ice,so ya people should have respect for the fish they are keeping its good sportsmanship.

I found an icepick/knife thru the brain as a quick and effective way to kill a fish. This is even the way our DNR has instructed people to dispach Snakehead fish that have been caught. It is even illegal to have a live snakehead in the livewell or return it back to the water.

Art

Ok, I have seen a lot of videos of people ice fishing, or fishing in general, on this site and off.

My question is how many people kill their fish when they determine that its a keeper, or do you just throw it aside and let it flop around until it slowly dies.

I always have my "fish striker" attached to my tackle bag and once I catch a fish that is a keeper, I give the fish a solid blow to the head to end the misery.

I cant stand watching videos on youtube when people are filleting a fish live, its just not humane.

Your thoughts?

Sorry but there may be room on P3TA's sight for comments like this

I'm pretty sure there's room for this conversation on this site.

The author's closing words in 'Book of the Black Bass' (1881) are: "Always kill your fish as soon as taken from the water, and ever be satisfied with a moderate creel."

Fisherfolk have been having this conversation for hundreds of years. Its ok, we can handle it.

I did read somewhere once that letting them gasp for air, didnt help the taste of the fish. I generally dont bleed the fish out, but i do make sure its dead, usually with a knife.

I like the good old bonk to the noodle. I have never tried bleeding out the fish and I cant imagine how they can taste any better than they already do. Try fishing your same hole on simcoe in the winter if you leave any blood on the ice. Better get there before the sun comes up or you will have a village of people already there.

I never really gave it much thought. Once I have made the decision to keep the fish in my mind I guess I already consider it dead because I have made the decision that it is now food. I have seen nature shows where animals are ripping apart there prey while it is still alive. It is what it is.

If your going to release the fish I say do everything possible to get it back in the water as quickly as possible. If you have made the decision to keep it for food, well then however you proceed from there on out is up to you.

Fully agree!