Killing the fish

stendec

Ok, I have seen a lot of videos of people ice fishing, or fishing in general, on this site and off.

My question is how many people kill their fish when they determine that its a keeper, or do you just throw it aside and let it flop around until it slowly dies.

I always have my "fish striker" attached to my tackle bag and once I catch a fish that is a keeper, I give the fish a solid blow to the head to end the misery.

I cant stand watching videos on youtube when people are filleting a fish live, its just not humane.

Your thoughts?

When I keep a Walleye , I put my right thumb on the second vertebrae and fold the head backwards with my left hand ... I'll BONK a Pike ..

Trout usually die in the livewell ..

Since it's illegal to transport live game fish in Ontario nobody should be cleaning a flopping catch ..

I see this mostly in perch fishing, when people are keeping 15 + Perch and they just throw them aside all flapping around on the ice or in a bucket, it just doesn't sit well with me, a good whack over the head takes no time at all, and when cleaning the fish they don't flop all over the cutting board.

I fish because I love the sport, when I don't catch and release I treat the animal with the most respect, I waste nothing and appreciate it with respect and dignity.

I see this mostly in perch fishing, when people are keeping 15 + Perch and they just throw them aside all flapping around on the ice or in a bucket, it just doesn't sit well with me, a good whack over the head takes no time at all, and when cleaning the fish they don't flop all over the cutting board.

I fish because I love the sport, when I don't catch and release I treat the animal with the most respect, I waste nothing and appreciate it with respect and dignity.

Dont take this personal.

Get over it.It,s been this way for many years before you. and I,and will be for many years more.

I throw my fish on the ice and place them in a plastic bag when I travel home. When I get home, I light the fish on fire and roast marshmellows over its burning carcass, effectively absorbing it's soul. The soul-shmellow is subsequently sliced up and consumed amidst a chorus of satanic rumblings and ominously low-lighting from my crappy kitchen lightbulb.

If you think that bonking the fish is any more "humane" than any other fishing, hooking and releasing, aquaculture, stocking (are we giving the fish more friends to hang out with), then you are very naive. Fishing is firstly to feed people, secondly a sport. Your imaginary line between "humane" and not "humane" treatment, based on a fish flopping on the ice, is completely made up in your head.

Wasting edible fish, or trying to hurt the fish for fun is deplorable and disturbing. Beyond that, enjoy your catch whichever way you prefer.

"Bonking" a fish on the head rarely works.. no "humanity" to it so you may wanna reinvestigate your procedure. Take your knife... cut the lower skin/flesh area between the two gill plates and the body.... or pull the gills out so they bleed out. Not only does it actually kill the fish..(bonking does not).. it bleeds them out so you have nice clean and tasty fillets.

"Bonking" a fish on the head rarely works.. no "humanity" to it so you may wanna reinvestigate your procedure. Take your knife... cut the lower skin/flesh area between the two gill plates and the body.... or pull the gills out so they bleed out. Not only does it actually kill the fish..(bonking does not).. it bleeds them out so you have nice clean and tasty fillets.

Wayne,have you ever had a bad perch filet from being in a bucket for 6 hours? LOL

Bleeding out is the best,but doing that to 50 perch? :wallbash: :tease:

G

Live well till I get home then a good whack with my "fish whacker"... I only whack em so they don't flop and get blood in the wife's kitchen while I'm gutting them....

Considering we trick em into hitting our bait then sink a hook into their faces and fight them to exhaustion..,,, being humane isn't really on the menu...

Worked on a kill floor for a couple of years and I can say that the process didn't always go according to plan but even when it did humane didn't make the grade there either. If it bleeds it will most certainly suffer.