Monster Haliburton Laker!

Slayingm

With little sleep and after working a long shift my son Mitch hit up his Dad's'Knowledge Base' (and some gear) and spent his day off yesterday to target Lakers on some of the Haliburton lakes I have fished for 30 years. Using the Marcum LX-5 Flasher and drilling a number of holes is was not long before hard/soft bottom transitions and deep breaks were lighting up on the screen along with a few streaks! After catching and releasing some smaller lakers and Herring it happened in 62 FOW!!... the large Red bar slowing moving to the Blue Fox Flashspoon and minnow worked 10' of bottom.. after a couple of gentle giggles and pauses it came... that 'thunk' followed by multiple line screams and a fight lasting over 10mins on 4lb line.
Contrary to his tired expression Mitch was elated with his BP Laker sporting a 20.25" girth and 33" length the behemoth weighted in a 17lbs. A number of these lakes are teaming with both herring and Rainbow smelt and catches of Lakers in excess of 30lbs have occurred over the years. With my winter guided fishing adventures are already over 70% booked to the end of March and I'm thinking its going to be a record trophy year enjoying some new toy's and fishing in comfort in my new Rapala Cruzer M2 Ice Shelter!
100_0887_zpsf8acc3ff.jpg
Good Fish'n and be safe out there!.... Greg.

VERY NICE ! I'm assuming it's a back lake as I've been told many of the larger ones are still patchy and lots of surface slop. Thats a nice haul regardless of its origin. love the quick plug at the end too... (my post has been brought to you be Steamwhistle brewery and Petro Canada) :whistling: just teasing.

Nice greg,

i have been out pluging holes with my Normark gas auger in some areas. Ice has varied in depth from 6 to 8 inches as per what my Lufkin tape measure has been saying. i would have taken pictures but i forgot my panasonic FMZ20 behind. It is however, handy to bunker up in my Frabil guide hut to get out of the elements. the weather forcast which i received on my Blackberry was right on the money. We caught several Lake trout using our HT rods combined with Shimano Stradics 1500 series which were spooled up with Trilene 8 lb XT tipped with 6 lb Seaguar abraisxx flourocarbon. To top it off, with the Stringease quick clips, the Peterson's Puppet minnows produced majority of our fish. Some of the fish we caught almost made me stain my Fruit of the Looms thermo underware. It's a good thing I don't have a self promoted guiding service or i would be booked up solid til 2014.

BTW, nice fish.....

Cheers, Ron...

Nice greg,

i have been out pluging holes with my Normark gas auger in some areas. Ice has varied in depth from 6 to 8 inches as per what my Lufkin tape measure has been saying. i would have taken pictures but i forgot my panasonic FMZ20 behind. It is however, handy to bunker up in my Frabil guide hut to get out of the elements. the weather forcast which i received on my Blackberry was right on the money. We caught several Lake trout using our HT rods combined with Shimano Stradics 1500 series which were spooled up with Trilene 8 lb XT tipped with 6 lb Seaguar abraisxx flourocarbon. To top it off, with the Stringease quick clips, the Peterson's Puppet minnows produced majority of our fish. Some of the fish we caught almost made me stain my Fruit of the Looms thermo underware. It's a good thing I don't have a self promoted guiding service or i would be booked up solid til 2014.

BTW, nice fish.....

Cheers, Ron...

:rofl2:

Wow! What a great fish. I like the herring...use it as bait then fry it up afterwards.

Joeytier: Never fryed up a Herring before but rather brined and smoked them with Hickory along with some Whities and Lakers and they were awesome!

Toad Hunter: Not a back lake but within 40 mins of Haliburton village and off of a protected bay thats see's early ice and am currently seeing between 3 and 8" of black ice on some of the lakes that way... extreme caution needs to be exercised and ice tested often while walking out as it changes frequently.. looks like floating a boat my be in order this weekend with the forcasted warm weather! - yikes.

Terry/Ron: Hilarious! Whether posting reports or giving seminars at Bass Clubs, Bass Pro, Fishing and Sportman's show's over the years I always go out of my way to try to share as much details as possiible in a attempt to make folks more successful and knowledgeable anglers. When I don't share details I get asked anyway and find that by far the majority of folks appreciate it. Sharing information such as products and successful techniques used, water depths, productive lure presentation(s), line test etc. makes us all better anglers and what its all about! :) If you go back and review the majority of my posts you will find the above true.. what you will NOT find is 1 word/sentence posts in a attempt to hit a 'Fishing God' or 'All Knowing Angler' status :P

Be safe all and see you on the ice! :good:

"what you will NOT find is 1 word/sentence posts in a attempt to hit a 'Fishing God' or 'All Knowing Angler' status "

I was thinking I should thank you for posting that amazing Laker photo but I don't want to seem like I want to move up to Fishing God status. :clapping:

yet he does post that he doesn't want to so he has done just what he said he wouldn't do....he posted something that was not directed at the OP...but at Us

I think I said nice fish.....if you didn't think you were reading an product ad, good for you

sorry for the hijack now back to the regular thread

Edited by Terry

That's a giant!

I need a fish like that during the Legion Derby on Gull Lk in a few weeks.

The MNR netted a laker over 30lbs on Bob Lk (many years ago), and I saw a picture of a giant (over 30lbs) from Haliburton Lk near Fort Irwin too, caught steel lining

That's a giant!

I need a fish like that during the Legion Derby on Gull Lk in a few weeks.

The MNR netted a laker over 30lbs on Bob Lk (many years ago), and I saw a picture of a giant (over 30lbs) from Haliburton Lk near Fort Irwin too, caught steel lining

Actually, just a few short years ago a mamoth 45lb Lake Trout was caught there and believe that if it has not been moved the mount still hangs in the Marina at Fort Irwin.. Gee, a 45lb'r kinda makes a 30lb'r seem like a 'dink'! :P