Advice needed on a hot water tank issue but my son.....

mr blizzard

-47 windchill this morning :o , enough ice here to send some back to lake simcoe.

Our hot water tank was installed November 2011.

The tank is a gsw john wood 40 gallon. 3000 watt upper and lower elements.

Top element is warm but the bottom is cold.

I tried the upper reset button but it did not help.

There is just my wife, myself and our son.

Our showers are short but our sons is cold.

Can I replace the lower element or might it be something else.

I am between jobs right now so any tips are truly appreciated.

We bought our first digital camera at Christmas and I promise to send pictures as soon as I can figure how to upload them onto the OFC.

Thanks Blizz.

John

Yes you can replace it.

I have done it with mine and as stated turn off the power first, turn off water main and then drain the tank.

Most elements are threaded so don't forget teflon tape on the threads when you reinstall the new element.

Home Hardware has a good selection of elements usually in stock.

... and after installing the new element make sure the tank is full of water before you turn the power back on.

I would look into the warranty before doing anything though.

Not only FULL but have the water RUNNING when you turn on that breaker switch for the hot water tank...they can burn out in a blink of an eye if not turned on correctly.

If you have hard water scale has probably formed on the bottom of the tank and around your lower element. I flush mine out every couple months and usually pull the lower element out and shop vac the scale out about once a year or so.

This might help you in your trouble shooting. I'm not sure if all electric water heaters work this way but the two I have do.

The water heater has 2 thermostats: one at the bottom which controls the bottom element and one at the top which controls controls the top element and power to the bottom thermostat and element. It is set up in such away that only one element can be on at a time and the top one is the lead.

Lets say you start with a cold tank, the top thermostat will supply power to the top element and cut power to the bottom. Once the water in the top of the heater reaches the top thermostat temperature setting it shuts the top element off and applies power the the bottom thermostat.

Now the bottom thermostat will apply power to the bottom element until the water in the bottom of the heater reaches the bottom thermostat setting and will then shut the bottom element off.

If at any time the top temperature drops below the top thermostat setting it will turn the top element on and shut the bottom off. As mentioned the top is the lead.

Thanks Tom 0 and IFH for taking the time to respond also . We have had a small drip in our sons shower which could explain why the top element is not reaching its max temperature. We will also drain the tank and clean the lower element. As mentioned the tank is only 2 years old.

Have an awesome weekend guys

Cheers Blizz.