portable marine radio advice

fisher

I am looking at buying a portable marine radio to use in case we get into any trouble while on the water. Most of the time we are on Lake Simcoe or Lake Ontario, but occassionally on some other smaller lakes in Ontario. Right now I count on my cell phone but that wouldn't work if we got swamped or some other accident that would cause it to get wet.

I figure I want floating and waterproof (obviously)...anything else that is a must?

Radioworld seems to be having a sale on some. Anyone have any recommendation on any? thanks

Here is the radioworld link...

http://radioworld.ca/handheld-marine-radios-c-3_119.html

Edited by fisher

Icom or SH are tops.

Icom slightly better quality but SH have all bases covered with features.

The better SH models float, which I think is a major priority when I am out on my yak.

I ended up with a SH 851 and 751 for my son. Both float and have lit seals when wet so you can find them in low light.

The 851 has rudimentary GPS as well.

$ wise, Icom slightly more $ for comparable models.

I have the standard horizon hx851 with built in GPS. Advantage are its a 6 watt unit so a bit more range. Th GPS gives emergency dsc capability so if you press the red button you call Coast Guard and automatically transmit you exact coordinates to them. It's waterproof and floats.

If you can hold off till the Spring Fishing and Boat show there will be some good deals to be had then, and lots to choose from. Radio World has a booth there as well as many others. I went with a Standard Horizon 5 / 15 watt mounted version. Gets great coverage on Lake O with an 8 ft antenna - easily talk to Port Weller and can reach boats at the mouth of the Niagara when I am at Jordan.. I was out with a member once who had a hand held and we were trying to talk with a boat only about 2ks away (easy line of sight), and because it was cold and the batteries were low we couldn't communicate.