lost key to the quad..

chris f.

so i lost the key to my quad... :( its holding up my fishing :wallbash: i think its in the snow in the yard but unless it all melts, i'll have to wait til spring. yamaha says its $600 fo a new ignition, and i don't wanna do that. can i rig up something so the electric start will work? i have the lights on but the pull start don't work :asshat: (figures)... any ideas?

The ignition likely needs to be grounded at the switch in order to activate the coils. Do you have a wiring diagram of the ignition? You can always just punch a screwdriver into the key grab onto the key with some vice grips and break the pins then it will work with any key. I had to do that on my old K car one time. It might have a clutch kill sensor on it, if the clutch isn't pulled in even in neutral it won't start. You would really need to post the model of the bike to get started on something.really if you get an ignition wiring diagram somene should be bale to identify. cross those to wires and you bike will be in Start. you can usually install a toggle switch inline instead of a key and it should work. Thats all an ignition is. is a toggle switch. for a car its a momentary toggle for the start. I am guessing yours is a 3 position ignition off, acc, run. Cars are Off Acc, Run, Start. a bit more complicated.

Basically you just need to remove the key ignition, cut the wires and go to crappy tire and buy any old 3 position key then install it.

Edited by jedimaster

i talked to my yamaha dealer the other day and told them i lost the key, and they said new ignition, didn't say anything about a replacement key :( if the pull start worked i would be golden, and i have the machine powered up, just no way to turn it over ( im not push starting her lol )

Seems to me you should be able to order a new key only...is there a number on the ignition where you insert the key? I've done this for boats in the past, but not sure how it works for bikes.

Michael

There is a key# on the key itself not on the ignition that I know of . I know it is too late but a good reminder here is to write down

that key # in a safe spot like your mannual (there is an actual spot for it)

As for starting it with out a key , I can't help you out there , sorry !

You can also by something like this and connect it when you need to start it... http://discount-cabin.com/shop/product_info.php/actron-cp7853-remote-starter-switch-p-33670

I used to haveone back in the day when I had to do valve adjustments. Just clip it onto the solenoid and click you can control the starter from under the hood. Lots of people got hurt using these starting it from under the hood and its left in gear. :) I think buying a replacement key and ignition should be the best thing to do though. Remove it first and go to the auto parts counter. Car quest carries them and they are very helpful. Just show it to them and they will be able to hook you up. Of course you will need to jerry rig it the atv somehow though.

so i lost the key to my quad... :( its holding up my fishing :wallbash: i think its in the snow in the yard but unless it all melts, i'll have to wait til spring. yamaha says its $600 fo a new ignition, and i don't wanna do that. can i rig up something so the electric start will work? i have the lights on but the pull start don't work :asshat: (figures)... any ideas?

Well the first thing that pops up is why only one key. Ya, I know you probably procrastinated in getting the second or third spare cut. $600 seems about 500 too steep. Ever try the paperclip key, use the narrow folded end. Those are pretty simple keys without a lot of teeth.

If I was close to you I would come over with the metal detector but you are quite a trek for me!

If you are pretty sure you lost it in the yard, post an ad on Kijiji and see if someone local will help you out with a metal detector.

Burt :)

If I was close to you I would come over with the metal detector but you are quite a trek for me!

If you are pretty sure you lost it in the yard, post an ad on Kijiji and see if someone local will help you out with a metal detector.

Burt :)

good tips guys, the yamaha shop said its "best" to get the genuine part from them = $600 .. i dont know why. its only a 2 click ignition, just on and off. so with the lights on, i just need to get the starter to work.. i will try again in the morning. thanks guys :)

good tips guys, the yamaha shop said its "best" to get the genuine part from them = $600 .. i dont know why. its only a 2 click ignition, just on and off. so with the lights on, i just need to get the starter to work.. i will try again in the morning. thanks guys :)

I'll bring out my metal detector if you take me out on the ice ;)

If its anything like a sled, take the two wires off the back tape them together and pull the rope. Other than that if you take the ignition to a locksmith he should be able to make you a key. I got to buffalo airport once and left my keys in North Carolina . Called locksmith he took my door lock to the shop and made a key in under an hour.

Edited by Freshtrax

i've got it to where i have it in run position with the lights light up... its just " turn key to on position" but the electic start wont go... and the pull start needs repair :( i have a locksmith coming this afternoon to make me a new key.. they say about 95% success rate... :wallbash:

Edited by Trent River Fishin'

there is a good steel ring on it.. good point :) the locksmith has come and gone.. and did a great job.. took apart the key cylnder and made an impression on some type of SOFT metal,... then snip snip and there were 2 new keys.. works great and when i find the other key tomorrow (with my luck...lol) i'll have spares. thanks for the help guys :)