which truck would you buy?

ld17

Hey guy, I'm looking for a truck to buy. I'm looking at two trucks one is a ram 1500 sxt 5.7 L 2008 with 108,000 k the other ford f150 xlt 4.6L 2007 with 95,000 k. Both trucks are priced the same , both crew cab , both 4x4. Any opinions on either I've never owned a truck.

Friends don't let friends drive dodge. I have a late model f150, and have been pretty happy with it so far! If those where my 2 options, I would go with the ford every time! The Chevy is also a good option if you can find one in the same price range. I've never met a dodge guy who was truly satisfied!

Can't say much about the Ford but I've heard they are decent trucks but don't let anyone know I said it....I Drive a Chev :whistling:

But I can tell you my Brother is Almost ready to pay somone to take his Dodge from him LOL...

Apparently the Dodge is a great truck which performs well...but the Fuel consumption is ridiculous

I had a Dodge Dakota and got horrible mileage - maybe 15-16 mpg. When I towed our boat up to Canada, I was down around 12 mpg. Switched and got the F-150 and now I have my second. Love both F-150's and they ride great. We have the super crew

Edited by Rich Clemens

They only make one Truck, "Ford" the rest are trying hard :whistling::stretcher::rofl2:

But I've had a few repairs, got to tell the truth. :D

Don't touch the 5.4, good motor but I've herd some night-mares about trying to change the Plugs. Plus the tires are 18" very expensive :wallbash:

Mines a 5.4

Edited by Fish Farmer

Hey guy, I'm looking for a truck to buy. I'm looking at two trucks one is a ram 1500 sxt 5.7 L 2008 with 108,000 k the other ford f150 xlt 4.6L 2007 with 95,000 k. Both trucks are priced the same , both crew cab , both 4x4. Any opinions on either I've never owned a truck.

Titan all the way

I've always liked the look of the Dodge trucks but have never owned one. Gas consumption and repairs reported by others have kept me away. I have a 2006 F150 supercrew with the 4.6L and in the 4 years I've had it, it's been a pretty good truck. Not to say it hasn't had some problems but minor in comparison. Couple of ball joints, brakes, tires (the 18" ones are expensive!), seal in between the tranny and transfer case, fuel module, axle seals, spark plugs, and a couple of other minor things. A ballpark estimate of $2000-2500 spent on repairs plus the tires. Over 4 years and the 170,000km that I've put on it (232,000km in total) that's not too bad imo.

i get both in the shop on regular basis and really buy the one you like, i find the ford has many more issues with there suspension then the dodges (ball joints tie rods, wheel bearings axles) the dodge is more prone to electrical glitches and poorer overall fit and finish and the odd blown engine/transmission (4.7l piston knock and valve seats falling out) seen a couple hemis with rods out the sides of the block but were driven hard)

If your buying the ford get em to throw in a spark plug replacement

I agree with you Ecmilley on the spark plug replacement. I have seen a few cases where they have corroded in place and it was a major expense to have them pulled and replaced. Once done though pulling them every 25,000 seems to be often enough to keep them from re seizing.

I am a ford fan myself and I am extremely happy with the 2012 ecoboost motor but as we all know time will tell but the outlook is good so far.

Art

Love my 2007 Ram Megacab (Hemi). So far no complaints, had a seal go on the front diff @ 90000km but was repaired no questions asked .

Its a beast of a truck, so its not great on fuel but i knew that going into it. Gas is offset by our VW TDI car .

Its driven hard, put through the paces in the back roads and she's not let me down yet.

Before I bought, i talked with a few of our fleet mechanics (City of Toronto) about issues with the Dodge VS Ford as the city has both in the fleet. Dodge was the winner hands down, and city vehicles are not likely babied.

I will start shopping for a new one next year, this time I,m going with the Ram Megacab with a Cummins.

Good luck in the search!

R

I've always liked the look of the Dodge trucks but have never owned one. Gas consumption and repairs reported by others have kept me away. I have a 2006 F150 supercrew with the 4.6L and in the 4 years I've had it, it's been a pretty good truck. Not to say it hasn't had some problems but minor in comparison. Couple of ball joints, brakes, tires (the 18" ones are expensive!), seal in between the tranny and transfer case, fuel module, axle seals, spark plugs, and a couple of other minor things. A ballpark estimate of $2000-2500 spent on repairs plus the tires. Over 4 years and the 170,000km that I've put on it (232,000km in total) that's not too bad imo.

Brakes and tires shouldn't count as they are wear items...and I agree that the 18" tires are PRICEY...my Tundra have them also... :(

But the other repairs seem a bit much...my '07 Toyota Tundra has none except tires and brakes.

Love my 2007 Ram Megacab (Hemi). So far no complaints, had a seal go on the front diff @ 90000km but was repaired no questions asked .

Its a beast of a truck, so its not great on fuel but i knew that going into it. Gas is offset by our VW TDI car .

Its driven hard, put through the paces in the back roads and she's not let me down yet.

Before I bought, i talked with a few of our fleet mechanics (City of Toronto) about issues with the Dodge VS Ford as the city has both in the fleet. Dodge was the winner hands down, and city vehicles are not likely babied.

I will start shopping for a new one next year, this time I,m going with the Ram Megacab with a Cummins.

Good luck in the search!

R

A guy I know here in town has a 2011 Mega Cab and has already had the tranny replaced. :blink:

Other than that minor issue it has been fine for the first year. :rolleyes:

I thought Dodge finally got the tranny issues figured out a few years ago? I know the ones behind the Cummins were replaced and replaced often.

I guess not. :dunno:

He has the Hemi in his truck.

What blew me away was that at the time he bought it Dodge was offering the free diesel upgrade and he declined it. :blink:

I don't know about you but I would have got the upgrade. ;)

He did say that his truck was the only mega cab they had in stock so maybe he just didn't want to wait for one. :dunno:

I was going to go get a ford but the people at two ford dealerships here in barrie totally turned me off, called dodge and they were more than happy to help me out, put me into a 2011 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 slt. Love it so far. Gas isnt the best but still better than my old explorer. For the price, very happy I went with dodge