Wollaston Lake Lodge

Jacques

So my Dad turned 70 last year, and I promised him a week long fishing trip anywhere in the world. Once in a lifetime, sky's the limit kind of thing. We've settled on Northern Manitoba and are kicking the tires on a couple of places, including this one:

http://www.wollastonlakelodge.com/

Yup, it's pricey. He's not into roughing it any more. And heck, I promised him anywhere in the world.

Can't sem to find any reviews on this one so I thought I'd put it out there... anyone been? Or do you have somewhere comparable you'd suggest...?

Full report coming next summer. In the meantime it's been kinda fun daydreaming about these places...

I have been to Knee Lake Lodge and it was pretty amazing. They call it something different now. It was fun going out in the morning and catching a limit of Walleye in 1/2 an hour, having shore lunch and then watching herds of 40+ inch pike fight over your spoon.

But I am with Bill on this one, it would be Plummer's all the way for me.

Anywhere in the world? I would be calling Plummers and making sure I was one of the 250 people that get to fish the Tree River every year.

agreed i spend 4-6 weeks there chasing throphy lakers and char and i just dont get sick of guiding :thumbsup_anim:

So my Dad turned 70 last year, and I promised him a week long fishing trip anywhere in the world. Once in a lifetime, sky's the limit kind of thing. We've settled on Northern Manitoba and are kicking the tires on a couple of places, including this one:

http://www.wollastonlakelodge.com/

Yup, it's pricey. He's not into roughing it any more. And heck, I promised him anywhere in the world.

Can't sem to find any reviews on this one so I thought I'd put it out there... anyone been? Or do you have somewhere comparable you'd suggest...?

Full report coming next summer. In the meantime it's been kinda fun daydreaming about these places...

Jacques - I've been to Wollaston Lake Lodge twice. Very nice lodge, with excellent accommodations and boats. Pike fishing can be absolutely incredible. They also have lakers and grayling, but I did not even try for them. Food and overall service were excellent too. PM me if you would like specific details.

I think some of the best pike fishing I've ever experienced was at Munroe Lake, also in northern Manitoba (see www.munroelakelodge.com). I have not been there since the new owners acquired it, but do remember the lodge as being a bit more rustic than Wollaston, and the boats quite a bit more basic (which may have changed with the new owners). That said, the pike and grayling fishing was mind-blowing. If your Dad's more of a hard-core fishing guy, that could be the ticket - especially if he wants to try fly fishing for grayling in the rivers.

it's a little less exotic and there's less species to target, but it would be cheaper and also has world class fishing with all the amenities

http://www.kesagami.com/

With due respect Chris, having fished Kesagami a number of times as well as several different big lakes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, I don't feel the comparison is that close. Kesagami absolutely has good fishing, and it's obviously closer and less expensive. But pike and walleye from those big Prairie lakes tend to weigh a lot more than eastern fish. A 40-inch pike from Kesagami usually weighs in the low 'teens, while a 40-inch fish from the Priaries will weigh toward the high teens. Where Kesagami is loaded with 15-inch walleye, Prairie walleyes are often in the 2- to 5-pound class. Same crazy numbers, just bigger fish on average. At least, that's been my experience. As always, your mileage may vary.

If it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, go for broke.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I've done a lot of research on these places (including Wollaston) listed below which are in the general area you're looking for. I've yet to get to any of them, but that day is coming soon. Some are much more expensive than others and the species available is a bit different across a few of them. Just hit Google and type in these lodge names...you'll get where you need to go.

Scott Lake Lodge - Saskatchewan

Hatchet Lake Lodge - Saskatchewan

Artic Lodges - Reindeer Lake - Saskatchewan

North Star Resort (formerly Knee Lake Lodge) - Manitoba

Budd's Gunisao Lake Lodge - Manitoba

Gangler's North Seal River Lodge - Manitoba

Good luck!

It's totally your trip Jacques and I can't comment on Wollaston other than to say it looks like an amazingly beautiful lodge and spectacular fishing. TV shows have certainly helped put this place on the map too.

That said... If this was for me and my pops I wouldn't consider it. In fact, I've been looking into options for this year or next and working out a list of possibilities, Wollaston because of it's hefty price tag didn't make the list.

Soooo, some FYI for big pike and maybe even better laker options for you and your dad, all at a cheaper cost for 1 week...

Plummer's Great Slave Lake. For the cost of 1 person at Wollaston, you could get two for a week there if booking July 27 - Aug 3 for family week. $8050 for both. Good pike and great laker fishing. Grayling too.

Plummer's Great Bear Lake. Family week Aug 3 - 10. $8741 for both plus extras like the Tree River for char. Can't say enough about this trip.

Kasba Lake... 9 days. Same species and about $6000 less than Wollaston.

Lakers Unlimited OR Indian Head Lodge on Lake Athabasca. World class pike and lakers too. You could have two full weeks there for less than the 9 day package at Wollaston.

Lac La Martre. Same as above with Athabasca.

Talston Big Pike Lodge. If you just wanted pike I've heard this place is incredible. You could almost get 3 weeks in for the price of 1 at Wollaston.

Trout Rock Lodge on Great Slave Lake. Supposedly phenomenal pike fishing as well. Two for one better deal. All pike fishing I believe.

You could look into God's River, Neultin Lake, Scott Lake Lodge... etc.

For pike &/or laker combos at cost... those are options IMO that would be equal to what you're after fishing wise, and if considering Wollaston, all these are cheaper. The best laker lakes on earth are (of course arguably) Great Bear, Great Slave & Athabasca. Just so happens that Slave & Athabasca are considerably a couple of the best pike lakes in North America too.

Looking forward to your report, from wherever you choose.

Hey all--

Thanks for the replies, and the great suggestions. I promise to oblige your generosity with a detailed report, wherver we end up.

Moosebunk - great to hear from you... your reports on Tree river are legendary. At the end of the day where we end up will be my Dad's call but I've got Great Slave - and a few of your other suggestions - on my bucket list.

Corvette1 - thanks for the PM. Got it!