Gotta love this, sickening

Live2fish85

There is only 57 nests in Ontario now one less. I don't agree about them being anything like seagulls.

If you think windmills are good do some research. There are useless.

I don't know where you got the number of 57 from and I never commented on the pro/con of the windmills. Bald eagles are scavengers.

MNR quote:

Removing the nest will reduce the risk of eagle mortality at the site.

If they don't nest there again then the mortality rate for that location is, in essence, 100%. "Oh dear, they might get killed flying into a turbine so let's prevent them breeding at all!" I think there might be more to this than we've heard so far. No real ideas, just a feeling.

They need to adjust their facts a bit. There are more than 57 bald eagle nests in Ontario. The actual fact is there were 57 known active bald eagle nests in Southern Ontario in 2011, up from 51 in 2010. Of those 57, 41 were successful in reproduction. It is not known how many bald eagle nests there are in Ontario, the study only covers Southern Ontario.

The article also mentions that this was an active nest. Each active nest is monitored and numbered accordingly, I wonder which nest this artice refers to?

I had the pleasure of watching FR-1 for a number of years on Bobs Lake in Frontenac County. It was very productive nest.

Here is the most recent report (2011) from the Southern Ontario monitoring program, it's a quick read but gives a good insight on the eagle population going in the right direction:

http://www.birdscanada.org/download/BAEArpt.pdf

Don't think this fish would agree...

You mean a half dead floater? Bald eagles rarely kill their own prey, they most often will scavenge other animal's kills or steal from others. These are facts, not opinions or perceptions. This also doesn't mean that they have no value, far from it, but proper perspective is needed.

They don't make power?

When I flew into Copenhagen, there were turbines scattered in every direction I could see...hundreds of them.

Did the Danes just build them for something to do?

I never said that they don't make power. I said they are useless. When do we get the most wind? spring and fall. When do we use the least hydro? Spring and fall. If you know a thing about these windmills the energy can't be stored for long so has to be sold, which goes for cheap.

Look at Spain they are full of them and they rarely use them.

You can't get rid of the power plants as windmills are useless. So what is the point.

As for the Blade Eagles I apologize on my answer lol. I miss read and answered before checking again. Thank you for the read though.

I agree, do a bit of reading on these windmills that are popping up all over Ontario they cost a lot more than they are worth, break down all the time and cause problems with birds and bats.

Check out the 'Shadow Flicker' effect that they cause on nearby homes. If you like them so much, go move next to one.

As for the eagles nest, typical MNR.

While it's true that Eagles,[like wolves and bears] will scavange gut piles etc. , they do hunt their own prey. I've watched them take ducks, loons and fish, at my camp in Quebec. They will also hit our fish gut pile that we maintain on an island nearby. Anyone who hunts moose in noprthern Ontario, can attest to the fact, that there must be many more than 57 nests in Ontario. They are very prevelent.

there must be many more than 57 nests in Ontario. They are very prevelent.

I'm sure there are many many more than 57 in the entire province. I'm in the Kawarthas where Bald Eagles are relatively new and I've got 2 nests within walking distance.

I took this pic a couple months back right above my house, and yesterday while working outside one flew overhead so low I could darn near reach up and touch him. By the time I got the camera he was gone.

003-13.jpg

Here's 2 more birds from not too far away a couple years back.

Cnv0123.jpg

Cnv0125.jpg

Obviously if you actually have a problem with power production you have that choice of not using power. :)

Yea well we don't have the choice of paying taxes on the dumb things which is going to be ridiculous.

Also this isn't doing anything to make things greener as they say. They have to keep to Power plants running as the wind turbines aren't a sufficient energy producer.

Edited by Live2fish85