NF New dog suggestions

Broker

Hey guys

So late October my bordie collie / Irish setter passed away. He was a great family dog but didnt get along well with other dogs. Long story short I'm really missing having a dog and am looking for a new one. My family is energetic, always on the go and we want the dog to be great with kids, people, cats basically everything. We dont want anything with shepherd or rottie or collie in it. So do any of you guys have suggestions on a great breed of dog that loves the outdoors? It can also be a mutt to doesnt matter to me

Thanks!

Behaviour and temperament of a dog has more to do with the upbringing and training of the individual dog, than the breed itself.

Resist the urge to bring home pups as soon as possible. It is a convenience and money saver for the breeder. Some pups are even weaned prematurely by a breeder. It is a constant problem encountered with pups from large scale and small scale puppy mills. My wife and kids brought home one such puppy, at 9 weeks, despite my hesitation. What a mistake. That breeder, and a few pet stores, were finally busted for running a puppy mill operation. A good vet ( read old school) will help steer you towards a reputable breeder

Any reputable breeder will wait 12 weeks or more before removing a pup from it's litter. Generally,the longer the pup is interacting with the litter, the better it will socialize with other dogs.

After that it's up to the owner of the new pup to teach it social skills with children, strange dogs, strange people.

Kind of went off the charts here.. But saw an add on kijiji for newfoundland pups.. Going to check them out today. Researched the breed and it sounds like they love the water and are well behaved dogs

They get big and slubber big time. If I had the room,I would have one.

GREAT CHOICE. :rofl2:

They get big and slubber big time. If I had the room,I would

GREAT CHOICE. :rofl2:

haha hes got lots of land here, plus a big pond for him to swim in. Puppies are not ready yet but we can put a deposit on him today.. I'll let you know how it goes

Id check the pounds first, if your not picky on a breed. Some of my best dogs have been mutts from the pound.

I have a chocolate lab right now, that I adopted from Harrison here on OFC. Great dog, gets along with anyone, and anything. He's my best bud! He goes everywhere with me, but he is just a pet.

My next dog is going to be another lab, but strictly a hunting retriever.

You won't be dissappointed with a newfoundland. They are a great breed, gentle giants, and I've never met one I didn't like! They are big though....eat a lot, crap alot, and take up a lot of space. A friend of mine has one though, and he is an awesome dog! I wouldn't think twice about getting one, but I need a hunting retreiver, so a lab its going to be for me!

You can't go wrong with a golden either. My dad has had golden retrievers for as long as I can remember, and they are one of the smartest, most willing to please breeds I know. Awesome dogs.

Good luck in your search! Everyone should have a dog in the family! I'm lost without one!

S.

I know you don't want shepherd, but we have a dutch shepherd/german shepherd mix and she is a great family dog, playful, friendly to a fault and pretty good with other dogs. Socializing with other dogs IS KEY. Same goes for people. Good luck in your search. Check kijiji as well. Quite a few people are looking to give away their dogs so its a good place to check.

Kind of went off the charts here.. But saw an add on kijiji for newfoundland pups.. Going to check them out today. Researched the breed and it sounds like they love the water and are well behaved dogs

Not quite the same thing, but many years ago when I was a teenager we had a St. Bernard and you'd go a very long ways in finding a more loveable, loyal dog.

Huge dogs are plenty of work but the payback is also huge.

Here's a pic of "Tiny" with my dad about 50 years ago.

Cnv0779.jpg

Not quite the same thing, but many years ago when I was a teenager we had a St. Bernard and you'd go a very long ways in finding a more loveable, loyal dog.

Huge dogs are plenty of work but the payback is also huge.

Here's a pic of "Tiny" with my dad about 50 years ago.

Cnv0779.jpg

They are beautiful and loyal dogs. Biggest summer drawback is the drool. Duffy was like a travelling Niagara Falls.

So to me...you described my Beagles to every detail

My beagles are incredibly loyal....They follow me anywhere I go.

They cry when I leave and meet me at the door with the most insane happy welcome you could imagin. I have 3 kids who they pla with day and night, they never bite, they never get agressive and they totally love my kids. I also have 4....yes 4 cats.

They dogs love the cats....the cats are not quite as fond of the dogs though :whistling:

My first Beagle(Spud) we got from a rescue 2 years ago.

I'm not sure but you may recall the thread in which he paid me back for adopting him BIG TIME...as our Garage caught fire and no one had noticed...except him.

He went ballistic scratching at the door, barking etc...

To draw attention to the issue....we caught the fire in time, and saved our home....barely.

We saved him...he saved us so we're even LOL!!!

But since I've noticed he is ridiculously freindly with other dogs and even more so with other hounds...beagles in particular.

So we got him a brother in November named Buster.

They are best buds, and hunting partners to boot.

Those wasacally wabbits beware!

Picture001_zps3c63646d.jpg

Honestly,

I love the Beagles temperment, and playfullness.

Despite snoopys reputation...they are no dumb breed.

Mine do plenty of tricks like fetch, shake, roll over play dead, stay....get that rabbit LOL...

Anyway...

Great dogs, and there are always a ton in the rescues this time of year.

Many are used for the deer hunt in November and end up lost or abandoned.

Just my $0.02 but for a mid sized dog they fit the bill for a sports dog (hunting) and a family pet perfect. My Grandfather had them as well as Black and Tan Hounds so I'm a bit Bias I guess being I grew up around them.

Good luck!

Biggest summer drawback is the drool.

Very 1st time my parents ever met my future wifes parents (1964) they were going out for the evening to get to know each other. Future F-n-L was wearing a brand new moehair suit and when he showed up at my parents home, Tiny ran over to greet them, shook his head, and blew slime all over the FnL's new suit :w00t:

The relationship was off to a shaky start :lol: :lol:

I have 2 field trial dogs (labs) very friendly, smart etc great all round dogs, that we train 3-4 times a week.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY designer dogs most of these breeders don't have the first clue on why a dog should be breed.

A dog should only be breed to improve the breed for instance when we breed a field trial dog its breed for talent, drive and personality not looks etc. We don't care if they're ugly HEHE! Only that they are healthy and have the previously mentions qualityies.

Seriouly consider your lifestyle so many people buy a dog because it's cute, with no consideration to what this animal will need to be happy and healthy.

All I can say is please seriously consider what breed and breeder you choose, it's a long term commitment!

I'm definitely a Beagle guy.

There is a reason, Guelph U uses them for Vet training.

Having said that, there are bad dogs in every breed. I would never spend $750-1000 for a cross bred dog.

Shasta, have you looked at a Duck Toller?

I like beagles, I take mine out quite regular in the bush, but you may need to be ready for lots of time in the bush.

Edited by nofish4me

i have had dogs for years. raised draathars, cocker did the field trial circuit and shows for the american cockers. fast forward. i am on my 2nd labrador. he is incredibly smart. i run him on birds daily in the mornings. theres not a better family/hunter suited dog better.

mind you you will get what effort you put into any dog.. .

the more people i meet the better i like my dog.. we also have a jack russel. if you get oni guarantee you will lose 20lbs and have grey hair.