Ice Fishing back lakes

stendec

Hey all, I'm heading up north for a few days over new years and I am craving ice fishing.

I am headed to Trout Creek (30mins South of North Bay) I was wondering if anyone knows of a lake/pond up that way?

I have fished Eagle Lake (just west of South River/ Sundridge area) in the summer before, but was wondering if anyone has been on the ice there?

There are a few other lakes in the area I haven't been to, Bernard Lake, Sundrige and Forest Lake, South River. Anyone been?

I have only ever gone ice fishing in rented huts on Simcoe, so I also was wondering what is the etiquette for fishing on your own on smaller lakes? Any tips?

I just don't want to trespass, or tick anyone off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Greg

I've fished some of those lakes and had some success on most of them through the ice, you're best bet is to just go check some of them out when you get there, most of them have public access, parking may be the only issue pending on how much snow is piled on the side of the roads. I usually stop in Burk's Falls and talk to the owner of the bait shop there, he is very helpful and will point you in proper direction for baits and lakes in the area you are going to.

Good luck!

Thanks,

If I can find a place to park, and go out on the ice, I'm ok?

Stupid question, but is any lake like this public domain? I know lakes or ponds with no road access are most likely going to be on someone's property, and I'm not looking for that, but if there is parking next to a lake its free game?

Also, once I am done fishing a hole, do I just leave it? Or put up some kind of marker for open ice holes?

Thanks so much, rookie just trying to learn and have fun!

-Greg

Thanks,

Stupid question, but is any lake like this public domain? I know lakes or ponds with no road access are most likely going to be on someone's property, and I'm not looking for that, but if there is parking next to a lake its free game?

Also, once I am done fishing a hole, do I just leave it? Or put up some kind of marker for open ice holes?

-Greg

Thanks,

-Greg

You will be alright just pushing the snow/slush back into the hole. If you are using a branch (for fishing) then leave it there.

Chances are if there is a road to the lake there will already be indications of other anglers. Try close to their holes as they may (and I stress may) have a good idea where the fish are.