Anyone ever catch an albino?

GreenCanada

They still catch a few down in Port Dalhousie each year. I was watching a show on OFC and there is a lodge in Quebec that stocked a small lake full of these things. Some over 10lbs! They are pretty but I heard they don't fight as well as a normal bow.

Edited by Bernie66

They still catch a few down in Port Dalhousie each year. I was watching a show on OFC and there is a lodge in Quebec that stocked a small lake full of these things. Some over 10lbs! They are pretty but I heard they don't fight as well as a normal bow.

Cool! I didn't know we had a channel! Lol

A Palomino and an albino are very different things. 'Palomino' rainbows were artificially created in a hatchery by continually selecting for fish that have a specific recessive gene ... result is a rainbow trout with light coloured skin pigment, giving it a yellowish appearance and no spots. They can spawn with normal rainbows, and being a recessive gene, the young will almost always wind up looking like perfectly normal rainbows.

Palominos were stocked into Lake Erie by Pennsylvania in the 1970s and 1980s. They look a bit like a rainbow trout subspecies called golden trout, found in California, but are not the same thing. Genetically, they are 100 percent rainbow trout.

Palomino rainbows have light coloured skin pigment. Albinos (in any species) are different in that they're missing the pigment altogether, or have very little of it. If Palominos don't fight as well as a regular rainbow, it is because they have been inbred in hatcheries for several generations. In that respect, they're not mch different than the hatchery rainbows PA stocks today.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

A Palomino and an albino are very different things. 'Palomino' rainbows were artificially created in a hatchery by continually selecting for fish that have a specific recessive gene ... result is a rainbow trout with light coloured skin pigment, giving it a yellowish appearance and no spots. They can spawn with normal rainbows, and being a recessive gene, the young will almost always wind up looking like perfectly normal rainbows.

Palominos were stocked into Lake Erie by Pennsylvania in the 1970s and 1980s. They look a bit like a rainbow trout subspecies called golden trout, found in California, but are not the same thing. Genetically, they are 100 percent rainbow trout.

Palomino rainbows have light coloured skin pigment. Albinos (in any species) are different in that they're missing the pigment altogether, or have very little of it. If Palominos don't fight as well as a regular rainbow, it is because they have been inbred in hatcheries for several generations. In that respect, they're not mch different than the hatchery rainbows PA stocks today.

Bingo, thanks Craig! thumbsup_anim.gif

Back in the late 70's and early 80's my friends and I managed several palomino's including 3 for myself.

Also of note was one true albino I saw on Bronte creek, white as snow with red eyes finning in about a foot of water.

We tried to catch it for a better look but it spooked and while we we followed for a ways we never did "ahem" catch it.

In fact we lost sight of it as odd as that may seem.