Ontario fishing regulation changes

Ron

Then maybe you'd prefer limits based on sex? It's an easy enough identification to make between male and female bows.

See where I'm going? It is completely out of place and unwarranted to tell somebody to change their behaviour, if they are working within the letter of the law as endorsed by the MNR.

you are right

Maybe the MNR needs educated, but the public fishing within the law needs to be left alone...the law is the law and everyones personal opinion should be left at home

Then maybe you'd prefer limits based on sex? It's an easy enough identification to make between male and female bows.

See where I'm going? It is completely out of place and unwarranted to tell somebody to change their behaviour, if they are working within the letter of the law as endorsed by the MNR.

How about this - I PERSONALLY believe that it is my responsibility as an angler to practice sustainable harvest regardless of what the MNR believes "sustainable" to mean.

I have no authority to "tell" anybody what they can or cannot due, but I certainly think that as anglers it's important for us to educate ourselves on ethical and sustainable practices.

Again, if you want to go out to the local pond and crack your limit on the noggin' every day then have at it. There is nothing anyone can say about that, if it's within the law it's within the law. I just think if we all used a little common sense here and there our kids might get a chance to experience the same (or better) fishing that we are able to.

How about this - I PERSONALLY believe that it is my responsibility as an angler to practice sustainable harvest regardless of what the MNR believes "sustainable" to mean.

I have no authority to "tell" anybody what they can or cannot due, but I certainly think that as anglers it's important for us to educate ourselves on ethical and sustainable practices.

Again, if you want to go out to the local pond and crack your limit on the noggin' every day then have at it. There is nothing anyone can say about that, if it's within the law it's within the law. I just think if we all used a little common sense here and there our kids might get a chance to experience the same (or better) fishing that we are able to.

I whole-hardheartedly agree.

:clapping:

Edited by torco

I wear two hats these days, one is a conservation director for the CBAF and the other vice chair of CRAA

I saw that zone 17-18 had made some great inroads to a regulatory change for bass and advised through the CBAF that we should also request such to the Zone 20 manager and council. In quick fashion the science was adressed and adopted, MNR chose to also preceed with the regulatory change for Zone 20. Great forward thinking and positive attitude towards a change really what the MNR should be about. Im pretty sure 19 and 16 will follow suit in two years, although I strongly believe Simcoe should be left out of any change due to its different spawning cycles. Now if we can get a trophy bass season on Eire to mimic NY that would be great!!( NEXT CHALLANGE MAYBE)

The second is CRAA, those that know me understand those chrome things are my pets and because they dont speak I adopted to be thier voice in southern ontario through CRAA, its members and dedicated board.

It was I who with the support of the club solely that requested this change on rainbows, It is a positive change in the right direction. Thanks MNR for finally being proactive!!

If we reduce mortality via harvest by 10 % then we are on the right track personally I think this does way more. Sadly I have yet to see 5 fish recover on an ice chest or any fish recover from being mishandled regardless of malice or mis-intention.. For those that quibble about angling mortality and floaters, Im sure that like many changes we all will adapt. 500 feet of cooper usually will kill the fish as does flopping ona deck for 10 minutes, so taking time to refresh or re adapt technique that provides the best chance for a successful release should be your mantra anyhow.

Eating fish in a sustainable fishery is a warranted act, if we give up that right the non anglers win, this is about helping to make a great fishery becoime a world class destination.

For those that argue this change, the opportunity did exist to comment on the EBR as it did through the vast array of stakeholders in the province. Sorry if this change offends some but based on avaliable data it was the right course.

milo

Great news, but I'm sorry to say this still won't stop several hundred people from bonking them anyways, thinking they're coho or chinooks or Atlantics or whatever. How many posts do we see every year where someone caught a silver fish and they're asking what the heck it is? Sad, but true fact --> a huge number of Great Lakes anglers simply cannot identify the fish they catch.

It's pathetic, and completely unacceptable, but true.

The new regs will reduce the number of rainbows killed by charter boats, which is a big plus, but I won't be surprised to see all kinds of people still killing in five rainbows a day otherwise. Hopefully the COs will spend a little more time at the ramps and weigh stations this year to get the message across.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

A small step forward. Still not near enough IMO. I bet the Spoonpullers are are screaming bloody murder. Charter boys would be too but they are mostly in Costa Rica this time of year chasing 2 legged quarry with paper. If only we could train the stream guys there might be some positive results from this conservationist trend.

A small step forward. Still not near enough IMO. I bet the Spoonpullers are are screaming bloody murder. Charter boys would be too but they are mostly in Costa Rica this time of year chasing 2 legged quarry with paper. If only we could train the stream guys there might be some positive results from this conservationist trend.

And you're helping the cause immensely by painting brushstrokes like that... :wallbash:

If you would like to know, it was a Lake Ont. charter captain that proposed the 5 down to 2 Rainbow Trout and he is a Spoonpuller member. You can go on and talk about floaters, it happens in all species. But if we don't try something, we mite as-well sell our rods and take up golf.

Tell me, who would or can eat 5 Big Lake O Rainbow every day. :dunno:

Edited by Fish Farmer

If you would like to know, it was a Lake Ont. charter captain that proposed the 5 down to 2 Rainbow Trout and he is a Spoonpuller member. You can go on and talk about floaters, it happens in all species. But if we don't try something, we mite as-well sell our rods and take up golf.

Tell me, who can eat 5 Big Lake O Rainbow every day. :dunno:

Good point! and I have to add... Who would WANT to eat 5

This flag waving is really kinda ironic, don't ya think?

We have two groups discussing these fish, with one group suggesting that their choice of fishing these fish, from a bank is nobler than the one's out on the lake, dragging lures...

Fact is, if you bank guys really want to save the fish or make this area a "world class destination" then you would not fish during the species spawning run. Pretty simple really.

They close the season for other species, yet they leave it open for plundering when it comes to steel... anyone else see the disconnect here?

HH

Good point! and I have to add... Who would WANT to eat 5

Folks who pay hundreds of dollars to experience the catch and harvest. The blue zone aka. bow water can save your day when the salmon bite is slow. Especailly late season for the charters on the east end of the lake.

You may see more move west now.

Edited by Harrison

Folks who pay hundreds of dollars to experience the catch and harvest. The blue zone aka. bow water can save your day when the salmon bite is slow. Especailly late season for the charters on the east end of the lake.

You may see more move west now.

are you telling these people they may not be edible for human consumption , these people probably don,t know ... i wanted to put a sign down at the river by the boat launch telling people be wise on what you eat and post the "recomeneded eating guide" i had a few boaters tell me they would rip it down. i wonder if there has ever been a lawsuit of a charter boat telling people they are good to eat.. i have heard a few of them say that at the cleaning station ?????

are you telling these people they may not be edible for human consumption , these people probably don,t know ... i wanted to put a sign down at the river by the boat launch telling people be wise on what you eat and post the "recomeneded eating guide" i had a few boaters tell me they would rip it down. i wonder if there has ever been a lawsuit of a charter boat telling people they are good to eat.. i have heard a few of them say that at the cleaning station ?????

Ethics, some folks have them, some don't.

I agree and know where you are coming from. Even once ethical operators complete their due dilligence, the final decision is the clients. Too bad they couldn't come with a warning label like a pack of smokes.

On that note, I like to harvest the odd shaker and one day I had an chat at the launch with a couple gents bank fishing. One asked in disgust how I could eat fish from Lake Ontario then he lit up a smoke. Found that funny.

Edited by Harrison

This flag waving is really kinda ironic, don't ya think?

We have two groups discussing these fish, with one group suggesting that their choice of fishing these fish, from a bank is nobler than the one's out on the lake, dragging lures...

Fact is, if you bank guys really want to save the fish or make this area a "world class destination" then you would not fish during the species spawning run. Pretty simple really.

They close the season for other species, yet they leave it open for plundering when it comes to steel... anyone else see the disconnect here?

HH

There are a lot of guys that don't fish spring steelhead, I've been out the odd time in the spring, but I do 99% of my steelheading in the fall. Give them to me in the fall when they're full of piss and vinegar.

There are a lot of guys that don't fish spring steelhead, I've been out the odd time in the spring, but I do 99% of my steelheading in the fall. Give them to me in the fall when they're full of piss and vinegar.

From what I have read and seen, I understood that lots of bows spawn during the fall. e.g I saw 1 caught a few days ago that was totally bloated and looked ready to spawn.