Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

Anywhere north of the 50% the information is based on factual surveys and studies but not everyone who fills them out are honest , say a ( Metis Harvester ) not allowed to use a net but allowed to keep anything that bites his/her line ... Same as the retiree who spends his winters on the ice , brings home 4-8 or more Walleye almost everyday for 90 days .. I really don't think that the statistical data is 100% fact either ..but the numbers are making some sense to me.

I typed LEGAL netting , somewhere in that 50% is the ILLEGAL portion of the netting business , this illegal stuff is frowned upon by the legal .. just saying .. The illegal part is the real problem here , and not to mention agriculture and poaching and Cormorants and soon ,Pelicans.

Even if its illegal netting, there is still legal netting. I mean, how much money is the commercial harvest worth anyway? I can bet you a hell of a lot less than the angling side. You have to consider every fisherman driving, buying bait, staying at lodges, food, marina service, etc. I will bet its 100:1. The MNR and Ontario government should have bought out the commercial licences and be done with netting. That way when someone does see a net, there would be no question that its illegal. I fear that whatever fishing lodges that are left on Nipissing will be in rapid decline in the next few years. I know for one that our annual club fishing trip to Sturgeon Falls will be a no go because of the new limits. People are just going to look at other alternatives.

not to compare apples to oranges. here on st clair the east end reserve,has in the past gill netted 20 miles beyond the agreed stakeline. sportsmen howled. that in turn created a paycheque . we scream the goverment implements a cheque to keep everyone civil,TILL, the problem resurfaces.. like i stated before sportsmen,landowners are held hostage. theres never been a ployictical party that could reach an honest end.

Edited by outlaw

Another sad side that I don't think anyone touched on.. reducing the limits will just put more pressure on other Zone 11 lakes. Temagami had/has an 18 to 24" slot that kept things in check on the lake. There was no slot on any other lake in the area. New regs came out in 2010 making the slot 17 to 24" for all the surrounding lakes and Temagami remained at 18 to 24. You wouldn't think it would change anything.. but it sure did. Many locals started fishing Temagami vs Net and Cassels Lakes to get that extra inch of fish. Now a 2 fish limit down the road... :wallbash:

Edited by irishfield

I typed LEGAL netting , somewhere in that 50% is the ILLEGAL portion of the netting business , this illegal stuff is frowned upon by the legal .. just saying .. The illegal part is the real problem here , and not to mention agriculture and poaching and Cormorants and soon ,Pelicans.

Yup, it's the illegal crap that is the real problem. Poaching and netting. I'm ok with regulated netting....based on what I know and my opinions.

It'll be interesting to see if they increase enforcement for everybody. Otherwise all this effort is really futility.

I think Talon, Nosbonsing, tilden, temagami and Wasi will see the biggest increase in pressure. Most people fish Nipissing because it's convenient and won't bother trying to figure out the lesser known and smaller lakes up north.

Edited by Rod Caster

If you eat two fish (catch per angler) for a shore-lunch.. that is a lot of fish to eat...!!!!

Walleyes were NEVER native to Lake Nipissing.. but are an introduced species...

I have been fishing Nipissing for 55 years now.. and can still enjoy fishing these waters... any time...

Besides walleyes we also have pike, bass, pan fish and musky... among many other species...

p.s. I own a fishing lodge and support the MNR on their new measures...

Anyone local, who is really worried about the number of walleyes in Lake Nipissing is more than welcome to help us this coming spring.. with one of our many re-stocking programs... But this would involve some effort over many weeks... Talk is cheap...!!!

the cap't

:Gonefishing:

If you eat two fish (catch per angler) for a shore-lunch.. that is a lot of fish to eat...!!!!

Walleyes were NEVER native to Lake Nipissing.. but are an introduced species...

I have been fishing Nipissing for 55 years now.. and can still enjoy fishing these waters... any time...

Besides walleyes we also have pike, bass, pan fish and musky... among many other species...

p.s. I own a fishing lodge and support the MNR on their new measures...

Anyone local, who is really worried about the number of walleyes in Lake Nipissing is more than welcome to help us this coming spring.. with one of our many re-stocking programs... But this would involve some effort over many weeks... Talk is cheap...!!!

the cap't

I agree.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Capt,

It is great that you and other lodges help to stock the lake so your guests have fish to catch. It really is a great thing

But I have to wonder... Do the guys running the gill nets help you guys out as well? and are the fish you are stocking, finding their way into these nets? Are the netters stocking at all? or are you supporting their catch with the fish being stocked by you and others that have a vested interest in the Walleye fishery?

G

Capt,

It is great that you and other lodges help to stock the lake so your guests have fish to catch. It really is a great thing

But I have to wonder... Do the guys running the gill nets help you guys out as well? and are the fish you are stocking, finding their way into these nets? Are the netters stocking at all? or are you supporting their catch with the fish being stocked by you and others that have a vested interest in the Walleye fishery?

G

The 1st Nations have been invovled in many conservations practices for the years... and have been working along side the MNR on many projects through the years gone by...

I find that the young people growing up (from both sides of the gill net) are much more interested in proper stewardship practices...

The old timers (I have really better be careful here... :unsure:) tend to be old school.. again... this applies equally to both (all) groups...

It's the young people we need to get involved... and learn to work together... I am very encouraged...!

Errrr... one more thing... if it weren't for the "white-man" buying the walleyes there would be no commrecial fishing.. Go figure that...!

:whistling:

I wasn't trying to bring race into this, sorry if it came across like that. I was just wondering if the commercial fishing interests were giving back, as you and others are as lodge owners.

If you say they are helping with the restocking effort, as are lodge owners and associations/groups, it seems to be there should be an increase in fish not a decrease. Has a study been done to check the viability of increased stocking efforts, to satisfy both commercial and recreational anglers?

It seems as though only recreational anglers are the target here... not the commercial interests.

I saw mention of Cormorants.. do they plan any control measures to help the stocks rebound? if indeed Cormies are part of the problem....

Seems very unfair to target one group, and not have a level playing field for all

G

Errrr... one more thing... if it weren't for the "white-man" buying the walleyes there would be no commrecial fishing.. Go figure that...!

It's amazing how many people around town will talk of Nipissing's poor condition and blame gill-netters, and then go out for a fresh pickerel dinner.

No market = no gill-netters.

It's amazing how many people around town will talk of Nipissing's poor condition and blame gill-netters, and then go out for a fresh pickerel dinner.

No market = no gill-netters.

Tell that to the yuppies in Toronto willing to pay 50.00 at some posh gastro-pub for fish n' chips..

what the hell is gastro-pub anyways :wallbash:

Another sad side that I don't think anyone touched on.. reducing the limits will just put more pressure on other Zone 11 lakes. Temagami had/has an 18 to 24" slot that kept things in check on the lake. There was no slot on any other lake in the area. New regs came out in 2010 making the slot 17 to 24" for all the surrounding lakes and Temagami remained at 18 to 24. You wouldn't think it would change anything.. but it sure did. Many locals started fishing Temagami vs Net and Cassels Lakes to get that extra inch of fish. Now a 2 fish limit down the road... :wallbash:

It's only time Wayne when the boys will set nets there when Nipissing is empty

Capt,

G

Just what I was thinking Gerritt.

Good for you Capt, but I think for all your efforts, someone is netting in your back pocket.

I just hope our money that goes into stocking, doesn't end up in Nipissing. I don't support any netting, legal or not!

Makes me laugh when they have these meetings, (they) not saying, when they leave the meeting out the back door,(I guess we pulled the wool over their eyes) and go on their LEGAL netting WAY :whistling::rolleyes:

Man are we naive :angel:

You want prof, just look at the condition of Nipissing now,(they) not saying, have been helping out for years. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

OH, I'm sorry, I'm Naive :blush:

Edited by Fish Farmer

..and to anyone that thinks Capt hooked is blowing smoke.... Kevin works hard on their rearing ponds as do others that run lodges in the area. The "plummas" and myself have helped financially with this effort over the years and I'm sure a few others have as well. Any of you that are complaining about fish stocks are more than welcome to send funds Kevin's way via the "Highway 64 Hatchery". If you want a mailing address, send me a PM ! :dunno: No.. I won't tell you where the pond is!

Edited by irishfield

..and to anyone that thinks Capt hooked is blowing smoke.... Kevin works hard on their rearing ponds as do others that run lodges in the area. The "plummas" and myself have helped financially with this effort over the years and I'm sure a few others have as well. Any of you that are complaining about fish stocks are more than welcome to send funds Kevin's way via the "Highway 64 Hatchery". If you want a mailing address, send me a PM ! :dunno: No.. I won't tell you where the pond is!

Agreed Wayne, I too have seen the ponds myself and just how much work the VOLUNTEERS put into it. Kevin took a few of us there during one of the G2G's years ago...

There are pics of me pouring Diesel oil into one of the ponds to kill the insects that kill the fry....

Sadly those pics were destroyed with the old board... :( nor do I remember who took them