Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

ITs crazy that in this day and age we have two different regulations for two different races.

Its not ok that a Native person can come and pull a truck load of walleye from the lake and then a non native person comes and gets fined if he chooses to keep 3 or 4 fish for shore lunch.

Its not right

Have been going there for years. Never really kept a whole lot of fish, but certainly did much better years ago. Every year our group talks about moving to another location, but after researching and finding that the price would increase considerably from the package we get from our resort, we end up booking again. Can't find other locations that have very comfortable cottages and nice big huts for the same price. The change won't affect our group at all, because we never get close to two slot fish each. Nip just suits our needs. Yes there are other walleye lakes, but do they have the same services that most operators offer on Nip??? :Gonefishing:

Here is the story from the North Bay Nugget today.

http://www.nugget.ca/2012/12/12/walleye-catch-limits-reduced

Further to Randy's reply.

The new catch limits will take effect when the winter season opens Jan. 1 and will remain in place until further notice. The slot size is unchanged for both licences.

It's easy to just make up new regulations but you have to have someone to enforce them. Theres probably two game wardens that look over the entire lake. I don't ice fish like i used to but when i did, you could fish a whole season without seeing a game warden. I know a lot of fisherman that won't even flinch a taken four or five walleye home because the odds of getting caught is very slim. I know a lot of natives, and i know for a fact that they are laughing at us right now.

Not sure where the heck this comment came from. All I said was we had a good time and caught enough fish.

As for gill nets BAN THEM EVERYWHERE!! Thanks for reading way more into my comment, and, taking it entirely the wrong way.

There is nothing wrong with a two fish limit.

Once, again, this forum continues it's downward spiral....sorry Roy, Spiel.

The comment was made more generally than specifically at you, it is true though that there are some people who will apologize for the natives simply because they are native and most Canadians have been brainwashed by the noble savage ethos, the one that tells us they care more for the environment than we do. I apologize for not considering your sensitivities.

Here is the story from the North Bay Nugget today.

http://www.nugget.ca...-limits-reduced

Thanks for posting the link.

^^^^^^ anymore info one this side of the coin or are they all laughing at us?

HH

After reading the article there is this,

The MNR said consultation with the advisory group, as well as dialogue with local First Nations regarding the commercial fishery will continue as it develops a long-term management plan for Lake Nipissing.

So how long will that plan take to develop? If the problem is as big as the research has shown, shouldn't everyone be putting some effort into this immediately? Considering that the association was only formed in July and the regulations are changing 6 months later, tells me that the problem is very serious. Not trying to stir anything up, just looking for an answer.

Glad to see that they are starting somewhere. Will this change in regulation save the population? Not likely, but at least they are starting to address the issue by modifying the harvesting per angler. I expect that the change was directed at sport fishing first because it was easier to do from a legal standpoint. I could be wrong, but making changes to aboriginal fishing rights would be a longer and more drawn out process.

I can't wait to head up North for Christmas to do some visiting with family. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get out on the hardwater too.

:Gonefishing:

to bad that it's a dying walleye fishery, beautiful big lake great place to fish great sledding in area as well.

Really what the natives going to do when all the fish are gone, so much for the great protectors of the enviroment, it'll be the same as quinte when the walleye population crashed there as well, it's the whitemans fault

Many fingers are pointing , just not exactly at the right people , based on facts , 30-35% of fish killed are because of legal netting , at least 20% is due to agriculture , really , the other 50% take a guess ?

Sorry, I can't believe those percentage numbers...Lake Erie once had gill netters on the U.S.A. side...once they were outlawed everything else fell in place....BEST walleye fishery anywhere in the WORLD "NOW"...and the same could be said for the rebound for Lake Erie's Yellow Perch.

You have to remember....you can only catch fish when they are biting...but with a GILL NET you can get them all the time....night, day and storms don't matter if you already have your nets set...they are out there for days at a time...then just collect them and sell the meat.

It's a bandaid solution at best and won't stem the bleeding.

Many will hurt with a loss of income while the bleeding continues, I don't think it's hard to see where the problem lies! whistling.gif

I couldn't have said it better......you see......from what I have gathered here...is the native Canadian's have monetary reasons to keep gill netting on Lake Nippissing...so it's very important not to kill "their" income...but meanwhile all the fishing resorts can go belly up... :wallbash:

I typed LEGAL netting , somewhere in that 50% is the ILLEGAL portion of the netting business , this illegal stuff is frowned upon by the legal .. just saying .. The illegal part is the real problem here , and not to mention agriculture and poaching and Cormorants and soon ,Pelicans.

Sorry, I can't believe those percentage numbers...Lake Erie once had gill netters on the U.S.A. side...once they were outlawed everything else fell in place....BEST walleye fishery anywhere in the WORLD "NOW"...and the same could be said for the rebound for Lake Erie's Yellow Perch.

You have to remember....you can only catch fish when they are biting...but with a GILL NET you can get them all the time....night, day and storms don't matter if you already have your nets set...they are out there for days at a time...then just collect them and sell the meat.

EXACTLY! :clapping: No need for another word.

I typed LEGAL netting , somewhere in that 50% is the ILLEGAL portion of the netting business , this illegal stuff is frowned upon by the legal .. just saying .. The illegal part is the real problem here , and not to mention agriculture and poaching and Cormorants and soon ,Pelicans.

OH, OK....I didn't read it that way...thought you were leading to anglers being responsible for the other 50%....makes sense now..