What Brand of Aluminum

Tayzak15

So next summer, I plan on upgrading to a deep and wide 14 footer. Currently I have an older(early 70's) 14ft starcraft car topper hooked up with an early 90's evinrude 15hp. Im only 21 years old and I've had that setup for 2 years and absolutely loved it. Only thing was it was a little scary to get caught in rough water with it. I live up in the North (timmins), and I'm out on the water during the summer 4-5 times per week. So I need a boat that can take a bit of a pounding and hit a few rocks here and there accidentally as well. Currently, I have been looking at the Lund WD 14 foot and the Naden 14ft Fisherman model. I just want to get feedback from people who either own these boats or may suggest another model. The 3 most important things for me when I buy this new boat are aluminum thickness,depth and width. I dont need any bell's and whistles in it. I must also mention I do plan on buying a newer motor in the net couple of years as well, (anything from 2007 on either 15hp or 20hp) I'd love to hear peoples opinions to help me gain a bit of knowledge when I buy in the spring.

Thanks!

We had a Legend 15ft Widebody before our current Lund and I've got absolutely ZERO complaints with it. Handled the rough water better then any other smaller tiller I've been in. Nice and wide and stable, combined that with a 40 4-stroke Honda and it would rip.. Loved that boat, wasn't very expensive either.

Well, if you're looking to buy local you might want to consider a Naden boat. There's a reason why most outfitters in Ontario use them, they're incredibly durable.

They're made in Temagami now I believe and Irishfield on the board is involved. He'd be a good guy to talk to.

Well, if you're looking to buy local you might want to consider a Naden boat. There's a reason why most outfitters in Ontario use them, they're incredibly durable.

They're made in Temagami now I believe and Irishfield on the board is involved. He'd be a good guy to talk to.

What he said!

There's a dealer in Timmins selling Nadens. The hardest decision you'll have is to go bare, red, blue or black!!! :D

Guiho Saw Sales and Marine Ltd.

950 Riverside Drive

Timmins, ON P4N 3W2

[email protected]

http://www.guiho.ca

http://nadenboats.com/

Edited by irishfield

There's a dealer in Timmins selling Nadens. The hardest decision you'll have is to go bare, red, blue or black!!! :D

Guiho Saw Sales and Marine Ltd.

950 Riverside Drive

Timmins, ON P4N 3W2

[email protected]

http://www.guiho.ca

http://nadenboats.com/

Yeah I've noticed them there before, Im currently in Toronto for school, but Il always spend my summers and life up in the North once im done here. What is the price range for the Naden Fisherman Model? I looked at your link from a long time ago is this boat in the link the 14ft fisherman model?

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65859

Sorry, you'll have to get a price quote through a dealer... I don't have access to that side of things. (well I do.. just can't share it in the open and tick off any dealers)

Yes... the green boat in that thread is the 14 foot fisherman model. The red on is the 16' Big Fish.

Wayne

Edited by irishfield

Sorry, you'll have to get a price quote through a dealer... I don't have access to that side of things. (well I do.. just can't share it in the open and tick off any dealers)

Yes... the green boat in that thread is the 14 foot fisherman model. The red on is the 16' Big Fish.

Wayne

Oh kk perfect, cause I love the depth of that green one in the pics, that's fine if you can't share the price I have a budget for buying a new one and Im positive itl fit within it.

Wayne

How would a 15hp run on this 14 ft model with 2 ppl, and just basic fishing gear, would you have any estimate?

I bought a 14 ft Naden Canadian Laker in 2007. It's the wider and deeper 14 footer. In short I love it. It can take rough water and as my fishing partner do a two week trip to Sinclair Lake every summer and we camp away from the landings, it can haul a hell of a jag. It's rated for a 35 hp and I have a two stroke 30hp Johnson on it. Putting a 4 stroke on it might lower the horsepower rating as I understand that Transport Canad has just woke up to the fact that 4 strokes are quite a bit heavier than 2 trokes and some boats may have their max HP rating lowered. It can really fly when it's light. The one thing I would do different is that I would buy one with the 20" transom. At the time I had bought the 30 hp two years earlier so I had to stick with the 15" lower transom. It's also still reasonably lightweight (235 lbs.) so that on two of our other trips it rides on top of my camper trailer with a special rack that I had built.

Edited by Tootsie II

Of the 2 models you listed, personally I'd go with the Lund. I have driven both and find that the Lund's handle better.

I found that the design of the Naden had a little too blunt of a nose and wouldn't handle driving in the direction of the waves as good as the Lund did. It would almost seem to plow too much and I found it tough to handle and keep straight. If you bring up photos of the 2 models, you'll see what I mean by a blunter design and the front.

As for addressing the specs you are interested in, I believe the aluminum thicknesses are the same, with the Lund being the deeper and wider boat.

Putting a 4 stroke on it might lower the horsepower rating as I understand that Transport Canad has just woke up to the fact that 4 strokes are quite a bit heavier than 2 trokes and some boats may have their max HP rating lowered.

My buddy bought a Polar Kraft this year. No more horsepower rating. Instead. Maximum engine weight. 15' with a 15" transom. Maximum engine weight 125 lbs. His 25 Yamaha two stroke makes it just under the wire. A twenty five four would be roughly 30 lbs over weight.

Edited by kwikfish

No matter what boat you choose, I definately also recommend the 20 inch transom.

Unfortunately for me, a 20 Inch transom is kind of our of the question. The motor i have now is a short shaft, and unless I can get a good used deal on a 15 longshaft early next summer

No matter what boat you choose, I definately also recommend the 20 inch transom.

I recently purchased a 16 ft Legend prosport.. And the 20" transom is " literally" a lifesaver when trolling with the stern to the wind.. I've had a few instances where the waves were really close, and if I had the 15" transom, I'd be bailing. Also the 16 ft is nice for the rough water, rides better than the shorter boat.. If your not planning on hand bombing to the water, consider it.

Not knocking the Naden or Lund, both excellent choices .. But have a look at the legend.. One of the thickest hulls in the industry.. they are made by Starcraft.

Not sure of your finances, but You might also want to consider buying a package if your going to bite the bullet. Its really nice when your motor runs well on your new dry boat.. And the trailer gets you to the lake and back home without the wheels falling off

I was in the same situation last year.. Wanted a new motor, but was tired of the leaky boat and broken trailer.. Now I'm good until I'm 50.

I'm running a 2001 14' Starcraft sf14.

I love this boat! At the time it was one of the widest and deepest boats in a 14 footer. It has the 20" transom. And after re-powering it 3 years ago it got even better. With the Merc 25 HP 2-stroke running a full tank of fuel large deep cell battery and enough gear for two people in running 27.5 Mph.

I have no experience with the Naden. So no comment there.

Good luck with your hunt!!

I also would not be afraid at looking at a used boat.

As far as tinners go a few hours of cleaning and she looks brand new! Check the rivets and your off to the water!!

I'm running a 2001 14' Starcraft sf14.

I love this boat! At the time it was one of the widest and deepest boats in a 14 footer. It has the 20" transom. And after re-powering it 3 years ago it got even better. With the Merc 25 HP 2-stroke running a full tank of fuel large deep cell battery and enough gear for two people in running 27.5 Mph.

I have no experience with the Naden. So no comment there.

Good luck with your hunt!!

I also would not be afraid at looking at a used boat.

As far as tinners go a few hours of cleaning and she looks brand new! Check the rivets and your off to the water!!

Yeah I have no problem, buying used! Im just looking for something deep and wide, since all I have right now is an old starcraft from the early 70's thats starting to leak a bit and is fairly narrow and shallow. The trailer I have it on is good quality, just replaced the bearings and tires last summer, and the motor I have the early 90's evinrude 15 still runs pretty good. Takes about 3 pulls on a cold start and 1 pull every other time, however I know itl be time to upgrade it within a couple years. If i could get a deep and wide 14ft aluminum with a 15hp or bigger motor that's relatively new say 7-10 years or younger for around 3500$ I would jump right on it, as long as there's no defects.

I recently purchased a 16 ft Legend prosport.. And the 20" transom is " literally" a lifesaver when trolling with the stern to the wind.. I've had a few instances where the waves were really close, and if I had the 15" transom, I'd be bailing. Also the 16 ft is nice for the rough water, rides better than the shorter boat.. If your not planning on hand bombing to the water, consider it.

Not knocking the Naden or Lund, both excellent choices .. But have a look at the legend.. One of the thickest hulls in the industry.. they are made by Starcraft.

Not sure of your finances, but You might also want to consider buying a package if your going to bite the bullet. Its really nice when your motor runs well on your new dry boat.. And the trailer gets you to the lake and back home without the wheels falling off

I was in the same situation last year.. Wanted a new motor, but was tired of the leaky boat and broken trailer.. Now I'm good until I'm 50.

Buy a quality boat with the 15inch trans and it will have a "Full-width self-draining splashwell" as my princecraft has....no need to worry about bailing.

Edited by 206

Unfortunately for me, a 20 Inch transom is kind of our of the question. The motor i have now is a short shaft, and unless I can get a good used deal on a 15 longshaft early next summer

how about an 87 evinrude 20 hp long for 500? my buddy has one in his garage and needs the space . i would buy it but i need a short shaft argggh!

I bought a 14' Lund this past summer. Absolutely love it! It's powered with a 30Hp Suzuki, goes 29 mph with me & my gear. I think a 15 would be a little slow, especially with 2 guys & their gear, but that's my opinion. I would also suggest a bount mount electric if u plan to do some trolling. I also purchased the bow mount with the ipilot (remote control). I can control the motor from any position in the boat. Love the Lund & the ipilot. Good luck shopping