Christmas Break Ice Watch

jedimaster

Well the longterm looks mediocre with daytime temps above zero for the next week but the nighttimes look like crackin temps..Any reports on Ice on the back lakes? Post your area, pictures and ice if you have, lets keep everyone christmas spirits up with some ice...

Edited by jedimaster

R.C. have you checked / heard about the bay we fished last year on Nosbonsing. Been on it 3 times before Christmas.

Haven't checked that spot yet... I might be looking for some perch next weekend so I'll probably check then.

Today, still only 3" or less...the ice didnt' really form last night with the snow cover. So close, yet so far.

Drove thru Bewdley today. Rice lake was ice as far as I could see. Still some geese waaaaay out in the middle though, so there is still some open water out there. I didn't stop to check thickness, but It certainly didn't look like much.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Scugog is very patchy. Some areas have been frozen for most of December, but other bays are wide open. By new years I should be perch fishing near shore, I definately wouldn't put the huts out for at least a few weeks though.

There's maybe 2" in front of my house, I can stand on it but wouldn't go more than 5' from shore for fear of getting wet feet lol, lots of damp spots too. Hopefully I'll be walking out new years day.

The smaller lakes In Haliburton were froze and had a few inches but they have got about 8-10 inches of snow and is insulating them but guys are out walking and fishing on them !!!! It's cold there today and its helping for sure !!!! But yes guys are out on lakes in the Dorset Haliburton forest area .... Stay off the big lakes lots of slushy spots and open water on them !!!! That's a report from last night by brother -inlaw is a plow driver for Haliburton county ... He knows has been there for 40yrs....

Was out on Scugog today on 2.5 to 4 inches, drilled about a half dozen holes within 400 ft from shore along starrs beach. didn't catch any perch, probably because I got a late start. Ill give it a shot tomorrow morning so I'll let you guys know how it goes. My friends were apparently into some crappie closer to Port Perry but im not sure how safe the ice is down there