First centre pin

Parisite

So I picked up my first centre pin yesterday. Rapala R-Type.

I put it onto a borrowed 13' that my friend is allowing me to use to give this float fishing thing a try.

Jos helped me balance the reel and the rod and I'm planning in heading out tomorrow.

I'll be running main line to shot line to tippet using micro swivels at each connection.

The knot that I'm most comfortable tying quickly and reliably is the improved clinch.

Will this knot be sufficient?

Thanks.

Edited by Parisite

So I picked up my first centre pin yesterday. Rapala R-Type.

I put it onto a borrowed 13' that my friend is allowing me to use to give this float fishing thing a try.

Jos helped me balance the reel and the rod and I'm planning in heading out tomorrow.

I'll be running main line to shot line to tippet using micro swivels at each connection.

The knot that I'm most comfortable tying quickly and reliably is the improved clinch.

Will this knot be sufficient?

Thanks.

Yes,but one swivel below the float helps saving your float when snagged.;)

I just use my main line to a micro swivel to my #4 leader line. the shot goes on that line for me. depending on the length of the line will depend on the float position too. I try and keep the float above the swivel.

my problem here isn't the knot, it's the use of 3 lines. just one more spot to fail if you think about it...

I used to think so too - but I made the switch and haven't looked back.

14lb Nanofil, to 12lb Ultragreen, to 6-10 lb lead. With line like Nanofil I need that shot line to soak up some of the shock from a hookset or miss-cue on my part.

Also nice to eliminate all line twist with the swivel above and below the float. Only time it becomes a problem is in deep water where I need to have more that say 10-12 feet between the top swivel and the bait.

Two knots is all I've used float fishing for over 30 years.

Triple Surgeon knot to connect main to leader and Trilene knot to the hook, why complicate it? ;)

x2

minus 15 yrs lol

double uni or surgeon's knot, trilene or palomar

been playing around with braid mainlines past couple years, use an improved albright knot in that case

Lots of guys just run their shot and float on the main line. Nothing wrong with that. I run 2 swivels in my setup. One above the float, one below.

I'm a one swivel guy. 10 pound mono mainline to a 6-8 fluoro leader with minimal to no line twist. And yes I side cast and typically run fixed floats.

I've ran shot line. Didn't find it helped enough to continue using. As bill states no wrong way. Use what's best for you but tie good knots. I use uni for the mostpart.

Lots of guys just run their shot and float on the main line. Nothing wrong with that. I run 2 swivels in my setup. One above the float, one below.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like one above my float. My thoughts are that the float doesn't sit right if too close. Just saying why I don't as I'm FAR from a good pin-angler. :mellow:

Maybe it's just me but I don't like one above my float. My thoughts are that the float doesn't sit right if too close. Just saying why I don't as I'm FAR from a good pin-angler. :mellow:

I don't like running a swivel above the float either. It's mostly just the fact that I'd like to have the flexibility to slide my float up and down. On the rivers I fish, I can have my float 6ft from the hook at one pool and the next spot I'll be rigged at 9-10ft.

I used to join my leader to mainline with a triple surgeons knot. I got tired of having to slide all my shots and float up the line so I could retie the leader back on. I use a swivel for my mainline/leader connection.

Edited by MJL

One of the guys at Jos' shop who was helping me said he fishes with about 5 guys and they all have different setups.

Looks like everyone here is running something slightly different from the next guy as well.

Spiel - I like the 3x surgeon knot. As I primarily fly fish, this connection is a familiar leader to tippet knot for me.

I rigged up the shot line and will give it a go in the morning. If I'm not happy with it I may delete the 2nd swivel and go with the surgeons knot.

I'm in Paris, ON and will probably be staying somewhat local tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in hooking up.

Thanks everyone!

I run one swivel, at my leader. My shot is on my main line, as well as my float. I don't lose many shot patterns or floats unless I manage to snag up really good. I will say a swivel above the float is the best way to reduce line twist and generally if the line you run your float and shot on is the same as your main line, chances are good the only break off will still be your leader. Of course you are still introducing yet another potential weak point but i've never had any issues.

I run a slip float pinned in position and this also greatly reduces line twist and allows me to run a single swivel. It allows for one swivel, allows you to switch up to a deep Setting without the swivel above the float interfering, and allows the option to use as a slip float if needed.

I like the shot line for several reasons:

1. I run Nanofil main line and a very fast rod. Without something to absorb the shock I will blow leaders all day on the hookset.

2. Sliding shot around on the Nanofil is just about impossible.

3. I don't like to re-tie, or re-load on shots. With a heavy main line and heavy (12lb Ultragreen) shot line, I never have to re-tie anything above the lead and I can run the same shot all day.

If I wasn't using Nanofil I would simply run one swivel below the float (like I do in the winter, Nanofil doesn't seem to like ice).

Is the Nanofil worth all this hassle? 100% without a doubt yes.

All good points here.

If you do end up running a shot line , I would recomend 10 high quality flourocarbon main line. Flouro seems to be a bit better for abrasion , so moving your split shot around shouldnt be a problem.

A couple of more points and suggestions.

When fishing in below zero temps the top swivel ends up becoming ice covered and useless. If you are using the top swivel during these conditions coat the swivel with some chap stick every once in a while to prevent ice build up

When putting your split shot on your line dont apply too much pressure, just pinch them on lightly so that adjusting them later will be easier