NF - Quitting Smoking

Rich

When it comes to the hardest thing iv done so far it would have to be quitting smoking. I smoked for about 10 years and it caused severe asthma. I still remember using my puffer after smoking a cig lol. I knew I had to quit so I decided not to go cold turkey and use the patch. Not many people can quit cold turkey and I wouldnt think it would be the greatest advice to tell someone to do it that way. If you can then good for you. There are things out there like champex and the patch that can give you an advantage. Champex worked for my dad and the patch worked for me. It took me almost 6 months to eventually quit cause I would stop then get drunk and start up again. Another tip is to remove yourself from places where it might trigger you to have a smoke. Mine was on break at work and I used to sit outside with the same people smoking. I couldnt do that anymore so I had to sit with the nonsmokers. Its been 2 and a half years and I still feel the urge and I have a feeling its never going to go away. I also saved about $300 a month which is nice too. Goodluck to anyone quiting and remember it gets easier everyday. Thanks

I would suggest reading The book as well (easy way to stop smoking). It is not a crutch... Just points out how we have been brainwashed into thinking that ciggarettes are enjoyable, and that it is so hard to quit. A very high percentage quit for a short time, and start up again. Read the book, and you will be amazed at the simple logic that you just dont hear anywhere else...

• 3 weeks later...

Today is Weedless Wed, a good time to say congrats to Rich and others who have given up smoking recently. I kicked the habit on Weedless Wed 31 years ago---probably the best decision I ever made.

There seemed to be some good news on the radio today.

"Stopping before 40 years of age, and preferably well before, avoids more than 90 per cent of this excess mortality; stopping before 30 years of age avoids more than 97 per cent of it," the study's authors concluded

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/10/25/smoking-quitting-women.html

I finally joined the ranks of non smokers. I was always too afraid to face the DT's. I quit drinking 24 years ago this may, and the DT's, sleepless nights drenched in cold sweats and dry heaves that followed for weeks afterward were always in the back of my mind.I could never be strong enough to go through that again. I finally, with the help of a close friend, said This is it. I picked up a box of step 1 Habitrol patches, power smoked my last pack of Players in about 6 hours, and slapped a patch on my shoulder. The combined nicotine of the smokes and the patch made me puke :stretcher: but the next morning(last monday) i was fine. No edgeyness, no burning yearning for a puff, just a satisfied feeling that i will beat this.God willing, tomorrow will be 6 days smoke free.I never ever went even 6 hours without a smoke in my life.I started getting really worried last december, when i would wake up in the middle of the nite, smoke, then go back to bed.It bothered me that i couldnt even sleep without the urge takeing over. The patch does its job, and i feel comfortable and unaffected by the withdraw. Hats off to all you cold turkey guys. I am just not strong enough to do that. My mouth is still dry and tastes like an ashtray, but i have no desire to lite up at this point. IT CAN BE DONE !!!

Paul

Rich, after 15-16 years of no smoking, I still get the odd craving (very infrequent) for a puff at the oddest times. My advice to you is stay strong and don't let your guard down for a minute. I am trying the same. I am too scared I might actual enjoy that puff and restart.

well, i finally got to the point where the smokes didn't taste good so i had my last cigar on the way home from work on Jan 16 at 1am. so tonight it has been 9 days without smoking and it really wasn't too bad, just the odd twinge and i have put away 10 dollars a day for every day i havent bought any. tonight i come home from work and my neighbour who just came home from mexico had come over and brought me a package with 5 cuban cigars and one that has 4 cigars from mexico. what a bummer, i just know i'm going to get into them it will just be a matter of time. hopefully it won't put me back in the smoking trend again.

For all the guys who recently quit.

Next time you're at a restaurant, wait until someone at a table near you goes out for a smoke and comes back in....and then realize you used to smell like that guy.

Some added motivation!

Sinclair....funny you should say that.....My office is more than 30 feet from my parts counter. I can smell a smoker at the counter all the way to my office.And that after 7 days smoke free. :)

I bought a Vapur cigarette at the corner store yesterday. First time I tried it was tonight and It has saved me from smoking many ciggies already. I'm surprised at how realistic if feels and tastes.

It was a huge help to me as well. I dont use it nearly so much now, but when that random craving comes up it certainly curbs it.

I read through this thread and congrats to all of you who quit this habit and to all who provided their support and advice.

It's been 8 days for me quitting cold turkey. I'm 36 and smoked for 20 years. Most of the these years I smoked 10 cigarettes a day but for last year I smoked 3 a day but it was still very tough on weekends with few beers + my fishing/hunting trips.

I've decided not to icefish this year just to keep away from smoking habit :) So far it feels great and I hope it will continiue this way. I've tried quitting before but always slipped after a few days.

Its been two and a half years since my last one and I would have to say it was the most difficult thing to do. Just remember if you are quitting all it takes is just one to start up again. Keep supporting each other guys.