Smokers...need a reccommendation

bigcreekdad

check this out....at the 10 min mark he explains how to make one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJ7nkslBv8

I found the problem with a hotplate is they cycle and it didn't keep the heat steady

Bass pro shops has a propane smoker on sale for $119 in the current flyer. Looks like a good starter unit.

I have one from BPS and it works ok. like you said, a good starter unit to figure out if you like food 'smoked'

You can make one or buy one....seen Alton Brown make one out of a cardboard box.....

But here's one tip if your smoking fish....VERY HARD TO LIGHT...LOL.. :rofl2:

But really.......make your brine with 1 gallon of water, 1/4 cup of KOSHER Salt and one cup of brown sugar....that's ALL...then soak your fish over night in it (in the fridge) before smoking...ENJOY.

Bob

This is a smoker I made. I use it for making jerky and smoking fish. It was made with salvaged parts, the box is wood create, the heat source is three 500 watt bar heaters, The temperature control was at first 3 switches to control each of the heaters, then I used a dimmer switch on one of the heaters, now I have two thermostats controlling 2 of the heaters. I can keep the heat just where I want it.

As mentioned the Little Chef is a great smoker a friend had one and made some great smoked fish with it. Bradley also makes a nice unit (more $), it uses wood chip pucks. Whats good about these 2 smokers is you can keep the heat low.

This is a You tube link to a fellow who uses a Little Chief, it looks like its been through a war! When I did my first salmon smoke I followed his instructions and used his rub, it turned out great.

What ever you get make sure you can keep the temperature low, some of the propane units have too much house power!

This the smoker I made. It isn't pretty but it works great.

20080830Cottage043.jpg

Making Beef Jerky

20120610Jerky010.jpg

20120610Jerky014.jpg

Smoke Salmon, First Try

20110917SmokingSalmon006.jpg

20110917SmokingSalmon007.jpg

20110917SmokingSalmon010.jpg

Propane Smoker I have its great for ribs, pulled pork etc but you can't turn the heat down enough for jerky or for smoking fish.

Macon Bacon

20110329MaconBacon007.jpg

20110329MaconBacon010.jpg

Pork Butt & Picnic for Pulled pork.

20110115SmokerPorkButtandPicnic014.jpg

Hope this helps bcd, post some picture of your first smoke!

I would think about getting a smoker that is mid level or better. The cheap units will aggravate you to the point of not enjoying the process of making some of the finest eats you can have. I have used 3 smokers and the electric is the way to go. The ability to control the temperature is important and a unit that you can regulate the smoke by removing the chips is very helpful. The other nice feature is the ability to load more wood chips without opening the main door. Here is a link to a good manufacture of smokers.

MASTER BUILT SMOKERS

Enjoy

Art

@ IFH, I would like to see some more pic's of how you have your heat source set up please.

I like your smoker GBW. Have you used it much? How do you control the heat?

I have attached some photos of the heat source as requested. As mentioned there are are three 500 watt bar heaters, they are mounted in a metal box. The wood around the box is lined with sheet metal. Above the box is a cookie sheet to catch drippings it also deflects the smoke and heat around the perimeter. Wood chips are placed in a small steel fry pan which is placed on the middle heater which is always on when smoke is needed.

20121201SmokerDetail004.jpg

20121201SmokerDetail009.jpg

20121201SmokerDetail008.jpg

20121201SmokerDetail006.jpg

20121201SmokerDetail005.jpg

Hey now BB; you should look again as I'm SURE you are familiar with what an outhouse looks like.... :whistling:

I like your smoker GBW. Have you used it much? How do you control the heat?

Thanks, all it cost me was a bag of screws, the electric hotplate and a roll of tinfoil ($ store for that) and time as the wood was all scraps.

I did use it and had a fare bit of success with it BUT because the hotplate was not a 'good one' the process to get a good smoke and constant temp too a LONG time for the food to be ready. and I mean LONG time some times. If I were to do it again I would not make it so tall and I would spend a LOT more on a good hotplate. If you click on the pic's one by one in the link you can see the full size image.

Thanks for posting your pic's too. where did you get the materials for that heat source? :unsure:

where did you get the materials for that heat source? :unsure:

A electrician friend gave them to me. They were used to heat electrical cabinets. Since they were not guarded they were considered unsafe and were replaced with shielded ones. I could only guess were you could get them, maybe an electrical supply house. No idea on the cost. They are made by Chormalox here's the link.

http://www.chromalox.com/productcatalog/Component+Technologies/Strip+and+Ring+Heaters/product-family-router.aspx?f=64