Thoughts on a Skidoo Renegade 600, 2007

mr blizzard

Greetings from Yellowknife, was a balmy minus 28 this morning.

My son bought a used polaris triple in the summer and got burned to say the least.

He is looking at a 2007 skidoo renegade 600 with 4700 km on it.

Have any of you had any experiences with this machine good or bad. It appears to be in mint shape.

Hope everyone has a great sledding, ice fishing season, thanks Blizz. :good::good:

Greetings from Yellowknife, was a balmy minus 28 this morning.

My son bought a used polaris triple in the summer and got burned to say the least.

He is looking at a 2007 skidoo renegade 600 with 4700 km on it.

Have any of you had any experiences with this machine good or bad. It appears to be in mint shape.

Hope everyone has a great sledding, ice fishing season, thanks Blizz. :good::good:

Polaris triples can be a real bag of hammers, someone that knows what they're doing with it can make it work, I'd avoid them. As for the 600 BRP renegade, a quick check on google rates them as #10 out of a total of 45. Guys get sucked in on shiny things like fishing lures, diamond rings, etc. Mint is a badly used description, the only thing I consider mint is brand new, everything else is used. If you don't know what to look for, get a real mechanic to look at it, or get burned again. I don't know if that year had etec motors yet.

The North is not really the place to look for a "good" used sled as they get so much use up here compared to down South. If you are looking at used sleds get the seller to agree to let you take it into the dealership for a going over before sealing the deal.

An alternative is to purchase used through one of the dealers in town. Probably pay a few bucks more but atleast they have most likely gone over them and may even offer some kind of warranty.

When they changed the chassies on the Renegade and most Skidoo's for 2004 there were some notable differences from my 2003 old style Renegade to the new Renegade. Fortunately I did get the chance to ride a 2004 (or maybe 2005) and compare a little.

The newer Renegades really felt a little more like trick bikes. To me, they'd respond more to any leaning, in both hardpack or powder. Even though a smaller feel, shorter seating and more compact look, they'd dig into powder a little more too I found. The new Chassies really had jump on the giddy-up. The old chassie shaped much like the front end of a Seadoo kinda rode up higher though, had room for a passenger and felt a little more stable overall. Both are cool, and IMO if buying that kind of sled ever again, I'd go back to Skidoo.

Never reached top end on the newer Renegade but with a 145 track and 1 3/4 inch lugs on the old it did top out for me at 187km/hr on the ice road. May have got a km or two more out of it, but it was spooky going that fast on ice. In powder, my buddy Stevie Z was impressed when his 1000 Apex with 2 1/2 inch lugs topped out at 117km because it is so big it digs a trench, while the Renegade did float up higher and cruise by him at 136km/hr.

By about 5000km I think with most Skidoo's on average, you begin to worry about engine issues starting up. Mine around 4500 started running too rich because of a hose issue leaking extra fuel back into a carb. What should have been an easy fix I thought, seemed to involve a few trips back to the shop. Other than that, with regular maintenance the Renegade did me well. It was excellent overall on fuel mileage, surprising friends of mine that would ride with me. It had big Bomby balls and for a 600 gave my friend Jer's 700 Polaris Classic and Howie's 800 Summit a good test.

Be sure to test drive, and even let idle for a good long time to make sure it holds an even RPM. Make sure you get to start it from a cold start to see how difficult or not it may be, and if there's any little specific tricks that the sled prefers you do. If satisfied, go for it. Renegade's are stylin' bikes.

Thanks Fisherman, Drifter 106 and Moosebunk for your advice, we will get it checked out in more detail before purchasing.

Our 17 year old works alot of hours as well as going to school.

It was his hard earned money down the drain, plus the costs of ongoing repairs.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated,

Blizz.

just a few pointers to give

Check the carb boots REALLY close as there is a good chance that they could be cracked if they are original.

This would run you into a lean burn down if they are...

Get a compression test done on the motor for sure.

Those 600 sdi motors imo are a great motor,not to bad on gas too.I had a 06 and when traded up I had 13000 kms on it and did reg maintenance and it never left me stranded,and it ran like a top all the time for me.

Any ?'s dont hesitate to pm me as ive had quite a few doo's over the years.

Im a high miler and a firm believer in good maintenance schedule

I have an 2011 gade 600 etec that Im gonna run another year cause we didnt get the snow in southern ont last season.It has 10000 kms on it now :thumbsup_anim:

The North is not really the place to look for a "good" used sled as they get so much use up here compared to down South. If you are looking at used sleds get the seller to agree to let you take it into the dealership for a going over before sealing the deal.

An alternative is to purchase used through one of the dealers in town. Probably pay a few bucks more but atleast they have most likely gone over them and may even offer some kind of warranty.

getting the dealer (especially if they have a great tech) is probably the best advice yet.Especially if your not familiar with the sled :good:

The renegade 600 is a good sled no question. But not for a novice rider they are fast and can get a little trickey at times.

As far as the engine goes they are almost bullet proof... gota watch oil and gas ratio keep the fuel clean and Do Not TRICK IT OUT..

And regular maitenance is easy..

I also agree with getting it checked out first simply because if you arn't familier with these sleds you will end up in the same boat as the tripple. I say that because alot of people had accidents and rebuilt them to sell simply because they are trickey to handle.Others tricked out the engine because its relitivly cheap to do.=blow up.

If the engine is still stock and compression is good with no chimes or ratles when you goose it after a good warm up then I would say buy it. So long as your son is strong enough to muscle it out of a tight spot.

4700 is nothing on a well kept 600 engine.

Good luck I hope it all pans out well for you and your son :thumbsup_anim:

Saltydawg

not to bad of a sled, one word no one mentioned id the brp engines use isoflex grease in the crank bearings, needs to be repacked every 5000miles witch for the most part involves removing the motor and stripping it down.

check belt and clutches track for tear offs, and the rev chassis could eat ball joints get the sled off the ground and check the a arms for slop

not to bad of a sled, one word no one mentioned id the brp engines use isoflex grease in the crank bearings, needs to be repacked every 5000miles witch for the most part involves removing the motor and stripping it down.

What is isoflex grease on/in the crank bearings, you have any more info, thanks.

I've got the same sled pretty much, but the mxzx chassis. Great sled, I've got 18,000 kms on the original motor now and I ride the heck out of that thing. Its not the fastest sled tho, good for a 600, but I will be moving up to an 800 next year. Will make a great machine for his age.

check belt and clutches track for tear offs, and the rev chassis could eat ball joints get the sled off the ground and check the a arms for slop

Cudney Racing have a bearing buddy that can be installed now so you dont have to split the case.