Ice Fishing Equipment

grimsbylander

I'm looking to get equipped for some I've fishing this winter and noticed CT has huts, sleds, etc in their flyer. For a guy looking to hit Simcoe a few times over the course of a winter is that stuff ok? I don't need the best but I never buy the cheapest.

Get what you can afford, the Eskimo sled/hut combo is very good for the occasional ice fisher. A flip over clam style is much better but also more costly. However it is very handy( if you have room, might be hard to fit in a Honda civic...LOL)

RED

I think some local CT's are better than others and ours in NBay seems to be getting better. They had good quality brands like Rapala, Frabill, Fenwick, Clam, Jiffy. If your looking for the best, you won't find it here, but it's not embarassing to shop at CT for ice fishing gear.

I'm looking to get equipped for some I've fishing this winter and noticed CT has huts, sleds, etc in their flyer. For a guy looking to hit Simcoe a few times over the course of a winter is that stuff ok? I don't need the best but I never buy the cheapest.

A good pair of boots with thick ruber soles and 2 pair of good mits as well as kleets

Not shure what you have but personal comfort would be a good starting point.

what do you plan on fishing for and where?

If your walking the key thing is to travel as lite as posible. Backpack bucket and a hand auger.

Yes, most of the stuff is more than fine.

I usually try to stay away from anything with the HT brand name on it though as most of their stuff is pretty cheaply made.

Agreed.

The HT stuff is absolute junk.

If you can...grab one or 2 of the Fenwick Elite Tech rods in a medium heavy action. They are $35 each...but for that price are the best I have used....the medium heavy covered all bases for me last ice season....walleye,Whitefish and lakers all easily enticed and tamed.

Please come up here in February as I want to see you spud your way through 5 feet of ice and then sit on a bucket in the open at -40. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Dave, It was just a joke. I am a wuss when it comes to ice fishing. I sit in my heated 8x12 hut with the radio on. Use a gas auger and drive my truck to my hut 95% of the time. Sometimes jigging is too much work.

Please come up here in February as I want to see you spud your way through 5 feet of ice and then sit on a bucket in the open at -40. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Its a whole different game down here -15-20 with some wind is about as bad as it gets on simcoe (with the odd exception)

5 feet might as well take the winnibego for a drive :thumbsup_anim::rofl2:

Clam flipover style are said to be better, but their disadvantages outweigh their advantages to me. #1 issue, if you walk out, they're ridiculously heavy. Call me a pansy, or lazy, but i dont physically drag my boat to the lake on a trailer to go real fishing, why would i drag a 400lb cube out for perch and crappies? The popup tents are 20lbs, and set up just as fast or even faster than some flipovers.

Ive been using the ctc stuff for years . Ice fishing is very cheap to be successful at.

Clam flipover style are said to be better, but their disadvantages outweigh their advantages to me. #1 issue, if you walk out, they're ridiculously heavy. Call me a pansy, or lazy, but i dont physically drag my boat to the lake on a trailer to go real fishing, why would i drag a 400lb cube out for perch and crappies? The popup tents are 20lbs, and set up just as fast or even faster than some flipovers.

Ive been using the ctc stuff for years . Ice fishing is very cheap to be successful at.

yeah but you have a truck to physically drag the boat to the lake and mostly likely a motor on the boat to drag your boat across the like, use the same logic with a flip up and it is a piece of cake

Call me a pansy, or lazy, but i dont physically drag my boat to the lake on a trailer to go real fishing, why would i drag a 400lb cube out for perch and crappies?

400lbs....??

Maybe ask your two buddies that are sitting on it while you tow, to jump off!

Edited by Stoty

I have a one man flip over clam and it is pretty easy for me to pull out with all my stuff loaded inside, two other two man huts that are impossible for me to pull out on my own. Know the weight of what you are buying and the weight of what you are going to be putting inside it... most do not consider all that. Do not forget to add the minnows, weight of the water, augers, rods, heaters, fuel and everything else you are going to be loading into it. If you are going to icefish you want to be comfortable and part of that comfort is not only once you are set up! It is getting out there. Ask yourself all the important questions first.

Or you will end up like me... three ice huts ... one for every occation!