4 stroke outboard alarm...any ideas

bow slayer

just trying to winterize my motor 70 hp johnson 4 stroke,while running it in the driveway for a few minutes check engine light and alarm came on. Shut it off checked oil ,ok, tried starting it and again after a couple seconds alarm comes back on. Last time i used it it ran perfect. Not sure where to start. It was peeing out the back normal,it did though start running a little rough. The gas has been in there since august,and i did put in some stabilizer. I am thinkinmg either a fuel filter or bad gas? Any body have a idea,thanks

continious tone at low speed is usually overheating which is possible if your hose is restricted or bad water pump impeller, the fuel restriction is usually at wot

undo t stat housing make sure not jammed with debris

Edited by ecmilley

i will try again tomorrow,have to leave to pick up kids after school for hockey. I will check the hose for kinks and make sure the muffs are on good. I have done this several times with the muffs.Keep the ideas coming please. thanks

My Honda gave me an alarm a few years ago that I could not figure out. It turns out that is has a water sensor in the fuel line. Basically it got to the point that it turned on as soon as I turned the key. Given that you did not run it since August, it may have pulled water from the tank and now you are getting an alarm.

Good luck!

Edited by Kingsalmon

well i just started it and the alarm comes on right away now after it starts. There seems to be nothing wrong with the water outake,there is a strong jet coming out,and i doubt it could be over heating after 3-4 seconds..............any other ideas?

Bad sensor.

Had an oil sensor go bad on my engine and the alarm was always on after that (until I unplugged it ;) ).