Chrome-Magnum

solopaddler

The board has been kind of weird lately so I figured I'd do my part to help the situation with an actual fishing report.

Been steelheading like crazy this last little while, 5 out of the last 7 days and I'm headed out tomorrow for 2 more.

Fished some larger water today and managed a slew of big bright wild steelhead. Water temp was 42 degrees and all of the fish were caught in slower holding pools.

Despite the cold water temps, once hooked these fish went insane. Absolutely incredible power and speed.

The bulk of the fish were caught floatfishing, but everything was upsized. 12 gram float, 12lb main, 8lb Maxima Ultragreen tippet and quarter sized gobs of skein wrapped in pink and white scarfing.

Later in the afternoon I switched to hardware and caught several swinging a #4 spinner on a tight line down and across. The hits were pure electricity, totally savage.

Here's two of the better fish. I realize they look larger because of the hold, but still. The larger of the two was 351/2" on the tape.

Looking forward to some more tomorrow. :)

Fall2012Steelheading064.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading078.jpg

Awesome fish Mike but really what possess you all to think 42 F is water to stand in brrrr. I used to Race Jetskies in that temp range but it was in a drysuit and we engineered the heated engine water to spray on our gloved hands to keep them from freezing to the grips.

Art

Awesome fish Mike but really what possess you all to think 42 F is water to stand in brrrr. I used to Race Jetskies in that temp range but it was in a drysuit and we engineered the heated engine water to spray on our gloved hands to keep them from freezing to the grips.

Art

I'll continue to stand IN it until it gets to 32F, at that point I retire because I hate standing ON water.

Sweeet chrome bud!! I've lost a couple fish in the dime range lately.. Hooks would just bend right out..

Pray tell.. What hooks are you tying to your 8lb tipet??

cheers

HD

I can't speak for Mike, but I've been running almost the same rig this year and I've only found a few that will stand up.

Gammy Octopus in size 6 or better, and Raven Octopus Strong also in 6 or better.

Do you often keep one or two for the table?

Occasionally, yeah. Last week I kept a larger fish around 10lb's for the first time in a very long time. We were having a dinner party and it was a request.

I filleted it, rubbed it with a dash of cajun spice and garlic, bbq'd it on low heat and basted it with melted butter and maple syrop.

It was really good. :)

Sweeet chrome bud!! I've lost a couple fish in the dime range lately.. Hooks would just bend right out..

Pray tell.. What hooks are you tying to your 8lb tipet??

cheers

HD

Kamasan B983's in 8 & 10.

I've used some of the wide gap Gamagatsu hooks and have never had luck with them, they constantly bend.