How far up Thames can muskys be found?

hotsky

Seeing all the Musky reports is driving me insane! lol. I've never caught one and it's quickly becoming a goal in my life to catch one of those beasts.

For now I'm limited to shore fishing since I don't have a boat (unless you count my 9ft inflatable). Someday I'll get a proper fishing boat, but than I'll need to upgrade my vehicle since I don't think I can tow anything with my Mazda 3. So it might be a while....:( I live in Hamilton which is not really close to any good musky spots either...

I was wondering since LSC is knows for those giants and Thames river is is connected to the lake I was wondering how far up the river can muskys be found? And does that chance depending on the time of the year?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

The chance depends on the time of year, the muskies are in the lake connected to the river, There might only be 1 single muskie past the mouth but still! she's there!

Don't say your not really close to any good muskie spots, you would be surprised!

Edit : if your determined to catch one shoot me a PM, defiantly can make it happen man.

Edited by ProFishermanJones

There's a million and one places to catch musky besides lake st clair. People aren't stupid enough to report southern ontario musky spots on internet forums except LSC cuz it's the country's community musky hole now. They exist in all the great lakes.... Bigger and deeper the lake the bigger the fish.... Think about it. Maybe you're closer than you think!

..hmmm I used to always drive through Hamilton to go musky fishing out that way. And although I was in a boat, I definitely saw them get caught from shore, and most that I caught were within a cast's distance of shore. That shoreline is VERY accessible too, even has parking lots...free ones! Now you have to go figure it out!

I know about Georgan bay, Kawarthas, Lake Ontario around Kingston, Niagara river (but seem like they got caught there accidentally more than anything). I've also heard them being caught at long point but I need a boat for that one. Closest one is Niagara but just don't know if I'd be wasting my time if I went there targeting them. If someone doesn't want to share anything on the forum feel free to PM me.

Edit Rizzo I'm guessing you're talking about Niagara? or I wasn't supposed to say that :ninja:

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I know about Georgan bay, Kawarthas, Lake Ontario around Kingston, Niagara river (but seem like they got caught there accidentally more than anything). I've also heard them being caught at long point but I need a boat for that one. Closest one is Niagara but just don't know if I'd be wasting my time if I went there targeting them. If someone doesn't want to share anything on the forum feel free to PM me.

Edit Rizzo I'm guessing you're talking about Niagara? or I wasn't supposed to say that :ninja:

Hire a guide and fish the Upper Niagara.

There's several places on the Upper Niagara for muskies but not really from shore. You could get lucky of course. The lower Niagara around the bar holds huge muskies but again not accessible from shore. I've caught them from shore in the Whirlpool and I have seen behemoths there but they are mostly an annoyance since most guys are targeting salmonoids with light line. My biggest ever Muskie came from the Niagara bar, one of five that day. It was about 54 inches so they are there and they are big. Many locals have told me that the best way to catch them in the lower is to fish for bass and the muskies will be a by catch. I believe they also get a few at Port Dalousie pier every year as well.

Overall you would be best to go local in Hamilton and for big fish salmon, huge Sheepies and steelhead would be a better bet from shore. All of which are better to catch than muskies IMO. There's also 30lb carp all over the place at Hamilton harbour. If you can stand to be a hole sitter they pull well to.

There's a million and one places to catch musky besides lake st clair. People aren't stupid enough to report southern ontario musky spots on internet forums except LSC cuz it's the country's community musky hole now. They exist in all the great lakes.... Bigger and deeper the lake the bigger the fish.... Think about it. Maybe you're closer than you think!

So the people making LSC musky reports are... Stupid ??? hmm.... anyways.... LSC is quickly becoming as popular as it is for musky because the size and numbers are exploding. I have caught/seen being caught, some of the biggest/fattest musky ever from a small bay off Lake Erie. I wont give up the name... as to not be "stupid".

Like everyone has said.... your closer then you think so a nice Musky. Jump in the mazda 3 and head to scugog, rice, niagra... only a couple hours drive.

theres muskt thru the thames. the facts are in summer months the waters to warm and stagnant. wherever theres shad migrating theres muskies..the rivermouth is a crowded venture. possibly the way of the crowds and trash ,the shore folks may lose it.. the township and property owners are very frustrated.