Calling all Catfish experts

backbay

Hi Folks:

Recently I received a message from the gang after I posted a photo in Skipper's thread regarding the season we've all had. It was concerning a catfish I had caught recently, (a first for me in many decades), and the type of cat that it was.

The fish in question was a cat, which I thought was a bullhead, except they don't grow that big. It had a square tail, was very dark in colour.

Here are a couple of pics, and I wish I had better ones, but this is it.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Backbay

http://

Thanks, Guys. It was caught in the Moon Riverr basin on Georgian Bay, in the Massasauga Park. The thing that confuses me is that it didn't have a channel cat's forked tail. The tail was big and flat across the back, not forked like a Channel's.

Edited by backbay

I think that the tail is folded over on its self in the top photo.

That's right, KF, it was folded over. I looked at the tail as soon as I landed it, 'cause that's one of the ways you can narrow down the variety.

Sinclair, I realize! This thing was a snick over 11 lbs, which is, confusing, if nothing else.

having the tail in hand, and knowing for sure it's a square tail...that would make me think not channel cat...but never know for certain, a classic "tall fish tale" ha

I believe counting the rays on the anal fin would help determine species, but again, not possible with those pics

the larger bullheads down south, 4-5lbs, do look like that

I'm sure it'll be good conversation at the cottage for years to come

I'd say definately a channel cat, the bullheads and madtoms (way too big to be a madtom) have a tail closer to a bowfin, that tail looks forked but folded, there's plenty of them on the eastern shore of G Bay, aggresive too

I remember my grandfather used to keep channel cats from 12 mile bay to eat, he'd throw them in the trunk of his car in a garbage bag, drive home (about 3.5 hours the speed he drove), put them in his laundry sink with water and they would all revive, pretty tough species