new ot musky fishing!!

phatpelkey

ok im new to musky and i dont know what rod and reel i should get for a starter set up, i will be chucking bulldawgs from shore, could you guys please suggest a cheap but yet reliable set up for a beginner

thank you in advance

if someone would have a used set-up forsale please let me know

Edited by phatpelkey

HA HA first it was ice fishing now musky your as big of a sucker as the rest of us Adam.

If anyone has a good rod/reel combo they want to part with please help Adam out we want to make sure he is hooked hard into musky.

Adam is a good guy with a huge heart (sorry did not mean to be sappy but he is a good guy) so lets help him out I can assure you he will put the combo to good use.

Edited by Mike P.

Hey Paul.... Just curious why you'd recommend a rod that fell apart the first day you used it...?

When i took it in to have it repaired, the guy showed me the tip.I must slammed the tailgate on it at one time.My box is 6ft. 7 on the diagonal.Rod is 7.5feet.Makes sense? The original guides on my rod, are NLA, so he upgraded it for me.

Corvalus

Havent had very good luck with the Compre myself, and a friend went through three in one season ( broke them with normal use) Also, the Corvalus is the bottom end of round reels, and wont last long throwing the big baits. Plastic guts, and IMO garbage. If you spend a bit more now, it will last uou a lot longer.

Corvalus

Havent had very good luck with the Compre myself, and a friend went through three in one season ( broke them with normal use) Also, the Corvalus is the bottom end of round reels, and wont last long throwing the big baits. Plastic guts, and IMO garbage. If you spend a bit more now, it will last uou a lot longer.

Agreed, the Corvalus is "ENTRY" level to Musky fishing.Thats what the OP is looking for.If he is anything like me, he will be fishing Musky maybe 5-6 times a season. Perfectly fine for that. Mine is the 400 series, diecast aluminum frame,metal gears,aluminum endcaps etc.Its a pretty tough reel for the bucks.

When i took up Musky fishing, i asked for advise on the board too, and Compre was the most refered rod by many of the Musky guys here.I own 4 compre rods, and other than a broken tip top guide(which as it turns out, was my fault) they are great.Are there better? Absolutely, but for a novice, they are bullet proof.

Personally, i dont believe in buying top of the line, when just starting out for Musky.Its not for everyone, and if you do get "Hooked", you can pass the combo onto the next person, and go all out on high end gear.

I have my sights set on a Calcutta and St Croix as my next combo.Just waiting for the wife to drop her guard, and leave the credit card unattended:whistling: :lol:

Cheers

Paul

well thanks to a good neighbour of mine he is letting me use his back up rod and reel for now till i can find a good used one or a good deal on a new one!! being so close to xmas i cant afford a whole lot right now, espically when i only plan on using it maybe 5-6 times a year, i did get offered a sweet deal on a st croix, but just cant afford that much for just a rod rigth now, has anybody ever tried a okuma akena? any feedback on that reel?

Looks pretty similar to my Shimano Corvalus.Same costruction, same size.I would venture to say that it would be perfect for your needs.Like the Corvalus, its a good entry level reel, but i am sure the true Musky guys will say its crap :rofl2:

i bought the whuppin stik 8ft heavy from cabelas.ca 29.99 awesome rod for the money 10 yr warranty fast shipping 4 days and i got it

casts bulldawgs and bondys with ease i had it paired with a cardiff 400

i bought it cause i figured it was a good deal would make an awesome trolling rod too

well thanks to a good neighbour of mine he is letting me use his back up rod and reel for now till i can find a good used one or a good deal on a new one!! being so close to xmas i cant afford a whole lot right now, espically when i only plan on using it maybe 5-6 times a year, i did get offered a sweet deal on a st croix, but just cant afford that much for just a rod rigth now, has anybody ever tried a okuma akena? any feedback on that reel?

keep Terry's setup until the end of the season and i will see what deals i can get you in november ;)

well spent a bunch of time this weekend chucking baits with no luck, but i did manage to buy my first lures and a smaller lure bag, there is always next weekend

glad u got out u will catch one sooner or later i was suppose to head out but the north winds are howling wont be out til next week as long as the water isnt euchured