I don't have a cell phone

Fishnwire

Some of the guys without phones sound like they are a little bit proud they have avoided this technology. I don't get it. A cell phone is just another tool. You can turn it on or off as you wish, and it doesn't have to interfere with your life unless you want it to.

And it's a fantastic tool!

Aside from the emergency assistance it offers, it can save you a lot of time and effort. Here's one simple example.... next time you change the oil on a motor vehicle, record in your cell phone the filter model number, oil grade and number of litres, and you'll never have to look it up again. Same thing for wiper refills. And the date/mileage you did that oil change. And wheel bolt torque settings. And licence plate numbers and VINs. And the paint code on your garage door. And the spark plug make and heat range from your outboard. And the lower unit gear oil weaight.

And each time you think of something you need from Canadian Tire, enter it. Next time you're in CTC, pull up the list of 5 things you need but would have forgotten.

next, enter your list of stuff that you like to take on a fly in fishing trip. When you discover you missed something, add it too, and never make that list again or forget to take something...

Don't shy away from a tool that works so well.

Well said. I wouldn't be able to work without my Blackberry, and simply can't understand why anyone would go out of their way to not take advantage of such a useful item.

Then again, I'm also a big fan of electricity and indoor plumbing. Go figure.

Oh, I've seen the "good" that being tied down to a cell phone can bring.

Just take a walk through a restaurant, a mall or any other place where humans used to actually speak to each other and you will find that the vast majority of people are ignoring the people they are out with and texting someone else. Frankly I find the whole attitude rude and ignorant.

Go ahead, spend your life with a tiny machine that tells you what to do and how to do it... not happening for me.

I could relate a story about a friend who can't go one minute without their phone, even on a fishing trip. Really, is that necessary?

I simply don't agree that these devices are time savers, they are time vampires and those of us who value face to face time are going to continue to avoid them... and don't even get me started on all of the folks I see on the road talking and texting... once again, selfish, rude and ignorant.

Those of you who think their life is better as a result of this technology, have you really taken a look at it objectively or perhaps you have not graced this planet long enough to have thrived without one. Does your life style really require you and everyone within your circle to have immediate attention or results? If so, perhaps a re-look at your life choices might be in order.

JMHO!

HH

Oh, I've seen the "good" that being tied down to a cell phone can bring.

Just take a walk through a restaurant, a mall or any other place where humans used to actually speak to each other and you will find that the vast majority of people are ignoring the people they are out with and texting someone else. Frankly I find the whole attitude rude and ignorant.

Go ahead, spend your life with a tiny machine that tells you what to do and how to do it... not happening for me.

I could relate a story about a friend who can't go one minute without their phone, even on a fishing trip. Really, is that necessary?

I simply don't agree that these devices are time savers, they are time vampires and those of us who value face to face time are going to continue to avoid them... and don't even get me started on all of the folks I see on the road talking and texting... once again, selfish, rude and ignorant.

Those of you who think their life is better as a result of this technology, have you really taken a look at it objectively or perhaps you have not graced this planet long enough to have thrived without one. Does your life style really require you and everyone within your circle to have immediate attention or results? If so, perhaps a re-look at your life choices might be in order.

JMHO!

HH

You've pointed out some very valid concerns and I agree with your list. The way I see it, those are problems with the phone owners, not the phone. Cell phones are a lot like firearms.

Cell phones don't cause rude interruptions; people do. biggrin.gif

Edited by whiskywizard

JMHO!

HH

In fact, I do believe my life is better with a cell phone. Prior to having one, I spent a great deal of time each week hunting down pay phones that actually worked, and making sure I always had a bunch of quarters to feed them with. I no longer need to do that. Having a cell phone makes my life easier and more convenient.

And yes, my work lifestyle does require me to stay in fairly continuous contact. Note I emphasize "work" lifestyle. That's why I have a cell phone, for the most part.

I do not feel the need to re-examine my life choices, given that I am lucky enough to have a job that many people would give their eye teeth for.

To each their own. But understand that not everyone who uses a cell phone is ignorant, nor are they owned by it. It does have an on/off button. Whether people choose to use that is up to them.

911, is very important,no matter where you are.

Not important at all where I live.

We have no 911 service in the NWT.

Yet we still pay Bell the 911 access fee. <_<

The class action suit should be concluding soon. B)

I have a couple of cell phones.

1 for work, one pay as you go for my Alaska fishing trips.

I need to keep in touch with all of my homies over there to make fishing plans!!!! :tease:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Cell phones are registered to the person using them, similar to the gun registry. And pointing out idiots with cell phones does not prove that they are evil or useless. It proves a lotta people are evil (stupid) and useless.

Just out of curiosity, what's your reason for not having one? :P ...since you'd like to be able to text with your bodies, if not for anything else :)

Basically, I just don't want one enough to get one. I actually really like the idea of a smartphone...but I don't like the idea of a contract and another bill every month. I know it's not a lot of money, but I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Plus, I'd probably lose the thing...assuming I even remember to bring it with my when I leave the house...which I rarely would. Also, there's no service at my camp.

I'll probably get one some day soon.

http://nj1015.com/these-photos-are-proof-albert-einstein-was-correct-about-technology/

Einstein was a pretty bright guy! So tell me that you are not seeing this kind of thing every day.

I'll admit that like any tool, they have their place. An no, I wasn't insinuating that everyone who owns and uses one is like this, but so many are!

HH

Basically, I just don't want one enough to get one. I actually really like the idea of a smartphone...but I don't like the idea of a contract and another bill every month. I know it's not a lot of money, but I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Plus, I'd probably lose the thing...assuming I even remember to bring it with my when I leave the house...which I rarely would. Also, there's no service at my camp.

well, obviously if you live in an area without signal makes sens not having one ;)

Its a lot of money for a 3 year plan on a smart phone.

It's a jail term.

Current plans, $65 ($70) with tax for a 1 gb data, 200 min with evenings and weekends free from 6 pm to 7am + $200 phone + 3 years = equals $2540. If you go over anything in your plan it adds up even more every month, and you will ($10 extra a if you go over 1 gb in a particular month).

Mobilicity, public mobile and Wind are good if you use your phone within the city since their coverage area is small. Most of their plan sales go for $20 a month unlimited everything, but unlimited is more like 3 gb of data, if you reach that they will cap you.

Compared to states, my friend is with one of the biggest carriers in the states, pays $45 with tax unlimited data, unlimited talk within US, unlimited text nationwide with an Iphone 4s on a 2 year plan. There is no 3 year plans in the states.

I recently wanted to sign up, but I won't with the current plans. Over the next 3 years $2500 buys me a lot of good things that I'll need more then a cellular phone.

Edited by spoon