steelhead rod bronte creek

tomkat

I use a 15.6 on bronte, kind of overkill but I love it! Just gotta watch out for trees lol

If its the 15.6 Okuma Aventa, your more of a man then me, that stick was so heavy i unloaded it the first chance i could, ironically to a guy with a shoulder injury, which he was warned, but bought it anyway, and he named it the percoset stick, cause he couldnt go fishing with that rod, without mommas little helper

lmao, I didn't even know a 15.5 ft rod was even produced. I have a 6'6 M lol. I will be upgrading to an 8'6 soon. probably by st croix. I mostly fish bronte too.

although I don't fish the rivers, and use a 7 foot MH Loomis SJR843 GL3 rod for salmon, and a lighter GL3 for trout, I was in Sail the other day in Burlington and I was playing with a 8'6" St. Croix Avid Med. power steelhead rod, and man it is sweet!

when I go to a longer rod this will probably be my pick. check it out I think you will like the feel of it.

It is the aventa and ya i know its overkill but i LOVE IT lol Its so long that most of the time I dont need to "cast" and i can just simply place my line in the water and let the current do the rest smile.gif As for drag affecting my presentation? Forget about it the rods so long my line is rarely resting on top of the water. The only issue I have is its a real pain in the asshat.gif for bushwacking through some of the trails, especially this time of year and the spring when everythings grown in. Other than that its prefect! Another huge plus is most of the time, at the end of the drift I can snap my line up and out of the water and fire it back into the top of the run/pool as if it were a fly rod lol This took practice, at first I was severely inaccurate and had even lost a float to a tree lol It takes time to get used to the longer rod but its worth it in the end.

Edited by Oakvillebassguy

although I don't fish the rivers, and use a 7 foot MH Loomis SJR843 GL3 rod for salmon, and a lighter GL3 for trout, I was in Sail the other day in Burlington and I was playing with a 8'6" St. Croix Avid Med. power steelhead rod, and man it is sweet!

when I go to a longer rod this will probably be my pick. check it out I think you will like the feel of it.

I love st croix. I have 4 of them. Do you remember how much it was?

<BR> <BR>$230 I think for the Avid version. very nice with the skeletal cork handle like the Loomis GL3s. thats the most comfy handle out there IMO <BR><BR>I was there a while ago so I would call them to make sure they still have some in stock if you are looking to buy one from there. Edited by 12 Volt Man

I use a 14 foot as my favourite float rod,over kill for most rivers. And no matter how careful I am, I always somehow get the tip up in some branches

the other is 11 6 and seldom sees water.

My go to spinning rod is 7 6 medium for steelhead but I'd love a 10-11 footer

And my big fish fly rods are 9 and 9 6 in 8wt

I use a 14 foot as my favourite float rod,over kill for most rivers. And no matter how careful I am, I always somehow get the tip up in some branches

out of curiosity, why continue to use such a long rod if you know that it's overkill, it gets caught in trees, and you have a shorter rod at home that would be more appropriate for a small creek?

Now you have a reason to use the 11'6" rod.:clapping:

A tip if you want free floats, put a cigg butt, if you dont smoke im sure you could think of something else, and put it in the last line guide of ur rod and you can more often than not retrieve floats that are stuck in trees by burning the line that is wrapped around the branch lol Ive done it a few times but with such a long ultra light rod if theres any wind theres no chance haha Youd be surprised how many floats, flies and jigs youll find good luck

I can't remember the last time I fished Bronte (Maybe 2002 for the migratory browns). I primarily used a 10'6" St. Croix matched with a float reel in the river and found that to be a decent all round rod for that stream. I used a 14' Hardy float rod off the pier when float fishing roe below a float.

When I tossed spinners and Kwikfish there for steelhead, I normally used my 5'6"-6' UL and L action rods that had a soft tip and a meaty butt. You could cast real tight and accurate to wood and really feel the spinner blades turn.

The optimum rod length stream fishing Bronte can be anything from a 9'6" to your 13'. 15' is way overkill for Bronte and like others have said it is a pain to walk the river with that long a rod. 15' rods are for big water no trees swims like the Niagara. Optimal rod length on any river mainly depends on the style of fishing such as float fishing, bottom bouncing, or chucking hardware and crankbaits. Longer rods are best for float fishing especially if you are using a centerpin reel. I used to use a 13' Loomis with a centerpin reel for float fishing, a 10'6" Loomis with a spin reel for bottom bouncing and a 9'6" Loomis with a spin reel to throw spinners and very small crankbaits. At that time I lived at 100 Bronte Rd so I was there a lot. Ultimately the crowds got to me and I started fishing Bronte from a boat where the rods I use are shorter.

I was at Sail this afternoon and they did not have any Avid steelhead rods left.

just a few triumph ones and thats it. lots of lures and reels at that store, but not the greatest rod selection, thats for sure.

Edited by 12 Volt Man