what is this sound coming from my 4 stroke

chrismarkz

I have a 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke fuel injected with 250hours on it. At idle I hear a screeching/whistle sound that happens every onceand a while. It screeches/whistles for about 3-5 seconds then stops. it onlyhappens at idle and trolling speeds. It may happen at full throttle but I can'thear it cause the noise of the motor. This has happens all year consistently. it almost sounds like water pump but thepisser is always working and never showed signs of it slowing down during thenoise.

Last time iwas out i had an issue that when i was going full throttle the boat stalled onme, this also only happens to me very periodically and a while on longer tripsat full throttle. When restarting the motor it starts perfectly. I am putting fuelstabilizer in with premium gas and it has only happened twice since. Anyoneelse having any of these 2 issues?

I think Wayne nailed it, read that post. Someone I know also has this issue with their 90 when coming off plane.. particularly when it's cold out. He had the bushing lubed when he had it in for service but eventually the noise came back. Dealer told him it's nothing to worry about.

yup that bushing for sure could be the issue but it's most common for noise on deaccel and doesn't address a stalling problem could be multible issues, be safe and check it all out, havn't had to many yams for service latley mercs been keeping me busy at the marina though

thanks a lot guys. that noise sounds like a prettycommon problem. but an easy fix. As for the stalling at full throttle it seemslike a malfunctioning sensor, because this motor runs and starts perfect, nohesitation and has never even stutter in idle. but when it runs at full throttlefor 20 min or so it feels like someone pulled the kill switch. after I put itin neutral it fires up with no hesitation or stuttering. Could it be aninjector issue?

might wanna check your battery connection for the stalling....had a similar prob on my motor while at wot...it was a loose connection at the battery

My 50 mariner 4 stroke had a similar sound like chirping at low speed it was from the top of the shaft and went away after greased. It was driving me nuts for a while.