Alabama Rig - anyone doing anything with it?

Harrison

Anybody give the Rig a shot this fall yet? I was thinking this may be a good time of year to give it a go when the bass turn to baitfish and school up.

It will be a couple weeks til I get out to give it a go. Haven't heard to much going on with it.

Edited by Harrison

Used it to find some schooling bass on the weekend then fished them with a dropshoot rig and did quite well on Georgain Bay

Dan

Cool Dan. So used it as a search bait. Did you find they cooled off the rig or did you switch to the drop shot once you got bit?

Cool Dan. So used it as a search bait. Did you find they cooled off the rig or did you switch to the drop shot once you got bit?

I was using the A-rig and my Brother was using a 1 1/2oz spinnerbait we double off the hop caught one more each then 5 or 6 cast with nothing then switched to the dropshot and laid a beating on them for the next 2h

Dan

Threw it a grand total of once...Didn't get anything on it.

My conclusions about it - When it lands in the water, it sounds like a 2# bass jumping. Very hard to get feedback of what your baits are doing and when they are tangled.

I do want to give it another shot, but I don't know when that will be.

Threw it a grand total of once...Didn't get anything on it.

My conclusions about it - When it lands in the water, it sounds like a 2# bass jumping. Very hard to get feedback of what your baits are doing and when they are tangled.

I do want to give it another shot, but I don't know when that will be.

Musky bait!!!!!

I picked up a few of these rigs this summer and wantedto troll them for GB skis this fall. The 32" rig I removed all the hooksand put a release clip to the back line, so I can use a larger bait on the backstraight to my rod. the 22" one I troll directly to my heaviest trollingrod removing hooks so I only have 4 hooks on the rig. I only used it for 2hours for the first time last weekend with no results, but next weekend I willput in a solid shift with it.

IMG_2182.JPGimg_0671.jpgimg_0671.jpg

I've thrown one on couch and Simcoe in the last couple of weeks...landed decent fish, no brutes. I found they hooked the fish multiple times...good news is they don't come off, bad news is they hook fish in the eyes, fins, etc...not great. I also lost one on a cast as it broke at the knot and just kept going...to the bottom in 20 fow...:(

I think they have a place for fish schooling on minnows for sure...but they aren't simple to store, damage fish, and are not cheap to buy and use...

For what it's worth...

For a tournament if you're sponsored you likely need to have one available, especially since they're newer and fish haven't seen them as much...they do work.

If you aren't and you're recreational...I'm mixed on it.

A couple of times I've had fish follow it to the boat, swimming right along beside it...that was interesting...seemingly no intention of hitting it...

Edited by Familyfisherman

I picked up a few of these rigs this summer and wantedto troll them for GB skis this fall. The 32" rig I removed all the hooksand put a release clip to the back line, so I can use a larger bait on the backstraight to my rod. the 22" one I troll directly to my heaviest trollingrod removing hooks so I only have 4 hooks on the rig. I only used it for 2hours for the first time last weekend with no results, but next weekend I willput in a solid shift with it.

IMG_2182.JPGimg_0671.jpgimg_0671.jpg

they look cool but only 4 hooks/baits up here. wink.gif

since they're newer and fish haven't seen them as much...they do work.

They're certainly not new. They were around 60 years ago when I stated fishing. They'll drop out of the limelight and return as "NEW, Never before seen, banned in 34 States" bait in another 20 years.

they look cool but only 4 hooks/baits up here. wink.gif

Four hooks is all that one has, Chris.

like roy said they are not new by any means !!! same as a dropshot rig,i have been using them for 30years,and some of the guys are saying the tangle,and do lots of damage to the fish as well...i will stick to my confidence baits,i do very well on mine...but i think they do have promise,for other species with some modification....