Tablets?

Pigeontroller

Thinking of getting a Tablet. Main use would be web browsing and photo storage...I know nothing about them and am not the most computer savy person...Any recomendations?

Personally i dislike the Apple i pad however, dollar for dollar and, quality for quality its the only one to really get, it will be useful for,

Fish maps ,Gps, depth charts, and all kinds of other things

Apple has a lot of useful apps and they are always updating newer material frequently....

Samsung makes some great tablets.

As well as the IPad but I can't stand apple products.

both are made the same way at the same factory; this is coming from an ex samsung person (me).

the samsung one is a real nice, light and easy to use unit too. My 5 year old son knew how to use it with ease when he was 4 if that helps.

Edited by GBW

I've had and IPad for two two years now (original) This thing is great, I took it to Europe in the summer did the same things there maps, locating things .

App wise anything you can imagine. I would like to upgrade with the latest because of the camera . . .And other features, using it now :D

But then I only use Apple computers at home and work, have been since they came out.

I can only say from personal experience, my wife has the Samsung Galaxy 10 tablet and it near resulted in divorce. I say unless you are computer savvy and don't need a lot of Advil you might get through the change from PC to Tablet. In my view it is not user friendly and every now and then when updates happen, see ya, I'm off to the farthest sport shop I can find. Noooooo, I don't want to hear what your Tablet is doing now and what it has changed and what you can't do or find. I think I would go with the iPad if I had to go with any of them.

I can only say from personal experience, my wife has the Samsung Galaxy 10 tablet and it near resulted in divorce. I say unless you are computer savvy and don't need a lot of Advil you might get through the change from PC to Tablet. In my view it is not user friendly and every now and then when updates happen, see ya, I'm off to the farthest sport shop I can find. Noooooo, I don't want to hear what your Tablet is doing now and what it has changed and what you can't do or find. I think I would go with the iPad if I had to go with any of them.

That is an operating system problem when that happens. Mine was OS 3.9.9 and now it's 4.04 and runs like a dream. yes things look different and are in diff spots but that's why 'Windows' always has a new version os something too.

It's the software, not the actual unit. hell, if you want, test out the UNOBook by eduGear that I can get. It's a tablet with a ruggedisied (sp? beers now...) case.

FLASH is NOT supported on ANY android OS after 3.9.9 as an FYI.

My 5 year old son knew how to use it with ease when he was 4 if that helps.

GBW I have a two year old grand daughter who will be your neighbour Dec 14 and she scrolls through an iPod looking for movies that will make your head shake. All of them (2-4 year olds) have eyed the iPad but it's off limits.

These kids make us look like we are still dialling an old rotary phone, hei I have one of those never mind . . .lol

I'll be the first one I guess

We have 2 Blackberry playbooks and love them. Small and lightweight-never had any issues.

2 Playbooks for us as well. If you're looking for games, look elsewhere. If you're looking for browsing, graphics, MSOffice updating, e-reader, multi-tasking ability and convenient size; you won't find a better value.

Another perk is OS updates, not new hardware.

The Playbook is a stand alone unit now with OS 2. Initially it relied heavily upon your BB smartphone, now it just compliments it.

We have all three platforms and IMHO the best value is definitely the Playbook (when on sale), while the easiest to use is the ipad.

There you go, Apple plug and play.

These things are like buying boats and lures everyone has an opinion/favorite.

I say what ever you can affod and what ever you are comfortable with.

Myself I have occasionally used PC and I can get by if need be, but an Apple product it's my boat/lure favorite.

At 11, Roy will lock this for sure lol

I won an IPad3, and have used my Playbook longer than that...

Pros of Playbook: smaller, more portable, waaay cheaper, crisp pics, my preference for reading since it's smaller, great battery life, awesome to make hd video and play on HDTV, some fun apps but I don't have a ton or use a ton on it. I like this because I can launch and keep my programs open. Nice cuz it easily opens my Microsoft programs. Good browsing. For the price, it can't be beat in my mind. Great sound. We hook up the hdmi cable and watch shows we missed on tv with ease. Great to sync my bb to.

The iPad pros: some really cool apps (most) you need to buy, good camera shots, crisp images, different app styles from the bb but equally functional, equally useful at browsing, great battery, but I don't like how you can only open one program at a time. It's heavier, but great display being slightly larger. Good video. Good browsing. Great sound.

I can use some work programs easier with one tablet, and others with the other but there is no favourite.

Good luck choosing!!

Edited by FisherJuli

GBW I have a two year old grand daughter who will be your neighbour Dec 14 and she scrolls through an iPod looking for movies that will make your head shake. All of them (2-4 year olds) have eyed the iPad but it's off limits.

These kids make us look like we are still dialling an old rotary phone, hei I have one of those never mind . . .lol

lol, my oldest son is now 14, and therefore I now have an in-house tech department.

As far as the tablet is concerned, my gf has an ipad, and for sure, it's great, but frankly, I haven't tried any others. If Samsung's tablet is as good as their phones, it might be worth at least looking at, though.

• 2 years later...

so this thread is 2 years old and many things have changed in the ipad and tablet formats, I;m looking for updated opinions on them, I'm thinking of getting the wife one for Christmas and don't know which way to go. she basically plays games and does emailing on her stand alone computer but I was thinking one of these would be more convenient for her to use.

I would sure appreciate discussion on this topic.