A couple St. Lawrence River muskies

lew

We always do a fall musky trip to the St. Lawrence River and Mike Rousseau (formerly Musky Mike) said he'd like to join us this year. Turned out my regular partner couldn't make it this time so Mike and I decided to hook up anyways.

I hauled my boat down to Eastern Ontario Friday afternoon, booked into my favorite B&B for the weekend and then met Mike at the boat ramp Saturday morning.

The day started off slow but after a few hours of trolling Mike hooked into the 1st fish. A tough girl that pulled out 25' of tight drag when she hit. It took a few seconds to cut the hooks free so Mike decided to err on the side of caution and not worry about taking a picture.

We trolled another 30 minutes and then it was my turn with this girl. She hit the bait and immediately came 3' outta the water which is always fun to see, specially in the colder water.

Fast pic and she was off again.

003.jpg

We fished till dusk then called it a day and headed in while we watched the sunset which is always a great way to top off a successful day on the water.

008-1.jpg

Sunday morning we headed for Quebec waters to giver another shot.

A couple hours into the troll and this pretty lady hammered my bait.

Another great fight, a couple pics and off she went with a wag of her tail and a wave goodbye.

015.jpg

017.jpg

I always try to be gentle with my muskies but some times the ladies don't appreciate it and get a bit nasty. I spose it's only fair for them to take a few shots back every now & then.

020.jpg

This girl had some really unique colours on her too. There was an almost straight line down her back with different colours on either side, even her stripes changed 1/2 way down her side.

Very nice looking fish.

016.jpg

019.jpg

That was it for the weekend but we had a great time together and hopefully we'll do it again next year.

Pretty sure Mike became a convert though and realized how nice full windshield boats really are. He started driving my boat Saturday morning and and never gave it back to me until we were finished on Sunday :lol:

023-1.jpg

Saturday afternoon we ran into Mike the Pike and Mercman out on the water so we shot the bull with them for awhile too.

Good meeting you boyz !!

It was 800 Km of driving for 2 days of fishing but it was well worth it. Lotsa laughs, some good food, good times, and a few nice fish to go along with it :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys, it was an enjoyable weekend for sure.

Hey Lew, what were the water temps like there on the weekend? Low/mid 50's maybe?

Actually Roy, temps were 63-64.

Pretty choppy on Saturday but not so bad Sunday.

We lucked out with the rain though as it stayed away all day Saturday and then started early Sunday but stopped before we hit the water. Started up again Sunday just as I got the boat loaded on the trailer and then pretty well rained all the way home.

Can't ask for better than that.

But I'd say the heaviest hitter of the weekend were those Philly cheesesteaks..... I was stuffed....

It's been 2 days and I'm still not hungry :lol:

Really enjoyed the weekend Mike and hopefully we'll hook up again.