Ready for Deer Hunting now... Can't Wait!!! - NF

Leecher

Finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project and couldn't be happier with the results :D Lots of preparations between my last fishing outing (Sept 14th) and this past Sunday. Brother and I made the long journey up to his lot near Mont Tremblant to meet our friend and install my ground blind in it's final destination B) Left around 8h00am and got back around 4h30pm. Can't complain, spending the day in the bush is what I truly enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

This was a full days work :w00t: without any snags... well sort of ;);) but without going into the details of it, went very smooth :)

OK... since you're going to ask... picture this :lol: Friends ATV, Yamaha Grizzly, going up the trail with my brothers heavy duty trailer, full to the max and at mid point, one of the wheels on the trailer got stuck on a large boulder... couldn't go over :w00t: ATV was going no where, front end basically didn't touch ground :o had to use the winch to get to the top B) Thank god it worked and had long enough cable to reach the trees to hook up to :)

Once at the top, it was a breeze to unload the trailer :) Went straight to the deer feeder with a couple of 25Lbs bags of carrots and 30Lbs bag of corn B) Spread those around the feeder where we have a block of salt setup B) Lots of tracks and activity around :thumbsup_anim:B)

Checked my brothers blind on our way back from the feeder and what a disappointment :( The heavy rain that we just had made a mess of 3 walls inside... mushrooms can be seen everywhere :w00t: Going back in the next few weekends to remove the bad sections and install new ones :)

One thing I regret, is not having my camera with me when all this was going on... so excited, forgot it at home :wallbash: but had my phone and snapped a few pics of the location :DB):thumbsup_anim: Not the best but hope you enjoy.

Tjunkie

Front

p_00005.jpg

Front view from inside

p_00003.jpg

Right

p_00006.jpg

Right view from inside

p_00002.jpg

Left

p_00004.jpg

Left view from inside

p_00001.jpg

Went straight to the deer feeder with a couple of 25Lbs bags of carrots and 30Lbs bag of corn B) Spread those around the feeder where we have a block of salt setup B) Lots of tracks and activity around :thumbsup_anim:B)

I'm not a hunter Jacque and am curious about your tactics here.

Is the idea to put food out for the deer, then hide in the shack and kill them when they come in to get something to eat ?? :dunno:

Looks warm!

Is the idea to put food out for the deer, then hide in the shack and kill them when they come in to get something to eat ?? :dunno:

That the plan Lew, that is if it works. :)

Sort of like Fishing, except the boat is the blind and the lure is the corn.

Looking sweeeeet

Thanks lgf!!!

That's the plan Lew... but like Harisson said, there's no garranty. We've been hunting this way the last 3 years and haven't seen any deers during the open season. The main purpose for the blind is to provide a dry environment for me while I'm out there.

We do this because the land is not big (23 acres) and if we were to do a chase, would only take 10 min to walk up the mountain, another 30 - 45 min to walk accross and reach the other side of the property line. Then hunting is pretty much done for the morning... repeat in the afternoon. Too short if you ask me.

Instead, we spend 3 - 4 hours in the morning and 2 - 3 hours in the afternoon sitting in the comfort of our shelters, waiting for a buck to come by :)

We had to basically adapt ourselves to this type of hunting on this piece of land from what we were used to when we were hunting in a ZEC. Adjacent land owners do the same. Deers have lots of different places to feed, they move around from place to place. It's no different then using a caller or rattling to lure in a buck.

Hope this answers your question Lew

Jacques

Looks warm!

That the plan Lew, that is if it works. :)

Sort of like Fishing, except the boat is the blind and the lure is the corn.

Thanks Harisson!!! Exactly :)

good luck bro!!!

I'm setting up my pop-up blind too this week :P

Thanks iFish4real!!! and good luck to you too :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the explanation Jacque, not being a hunter I wasn't aware of it being done that way.

Good luck on your hunt this fall.

Your welcome Lew!!! Another way of hunting deer that I wish was legal in Quebec but allowed in Ontario is with dogs... here, they can only be used for bird hunting excluding the wild turkeys... The deer feeder in our case is pretty much the only legal way we can hunt deer :)

Thanks again Lew!!!

I can see some good shooting lanes there J. Like to see more pics,when the folage is gone.

Definitely will take more shots when we go back B... The phone pics aren't as sharp as the camera... stay tune!

Edited by TroutJunkie

Yeah, with the fish in a barrel and a shotgun instead of a fish'n pole :sarcasm:

putting out food (the lure) for deer is the same as using a lure or bait for fish only you get to keep casting and moving till you find the barrel he doesn't get to move the blind till he finds the barrel,, much harder then fishing :sarcasm:

looks great jacques. lots of work! pretty thick woods, shotgun i'm thinking? beavers dammed up a river in the back forty where i hunt. i just put up a tree stand for bow hunt. first time across that river in a long time. water was always to high. maybe a foot deep now behind the dam.

quite excited for mondays opener for compound. good luck with those mushrooms and droppin a good deer. thx for sharin your enthusiasm on your pre-hunt set-up. right there with ya.

putting out food (the lure) for deer is the same as using a lure or bait for fish only you get to keep casting and moving till you find the barrel he doesn't get to move the blind till he finds the barrel,, much harder then fishing :sarcasm:

Hi Terry,

It's not the same..

When fishing your not conditioning the fish to come to the same spot for food then netting them.

Baiting is conditioning your game to come to the exact same place everyday for food. If you wait long enough they will show.

Just to clarify.

looks great jacques. lots of work! pretty thick woods, shotgun i'm thinking? beavers dammed up a river in the back forty where i hunt. i just put up a tree stand for bow hunt. first time across that river in a long time. water was always to high. maybe a foot deep now behind the dam.

quite excited for mondays opener for compound. good luck with those mushrooms and droppin a good deer. thx for sharin your enthusiasm on your pre-hunt set-up. right there with ya.

Thanks waterwolf!!! Yeah pretty thick bush and no, riffle... it looks worse now with all the foliage still attached to the trees... come November, my shooting lanes should clear up a bit :)

Always cool and exciting to be able to setup a tree stand in new territory B) Good luck with your opener on Monday :thumbsup_anim:

Going back in the next few weekends to repair brothers blind... shouldn't take too long and have plenty of time before opener (November 3rd). Can't wait :)

Be safe & shoot straight

Jacques

Nice blind! That area reminds me alot of the area I hunt in. Real thick!

Thanks Luc!!! Yeah it's so thick that I only have a few shooting lanes in front... the rest of the thick stuff acts as cover B)

What's that brown square thing doing in the middle of all the greenery?? :P:sarcasm: Should be quite comfortable Jacques.

:lol: Thanks Will!!! I plan on spending lots of time in the bunker come November :D

Looking at your blind Jacques reminds me of my dads deer blind. He lived in New Brunswick. His was a little lower and had VW seats inside and was insulated with a old carpet. I think he slept :sleeping_02: more in there than he hunted. He told me one time he woke up and couldn't see out the shooting window because the Deer was so close, it blocked the light, he thought it was night :D

He had some funny stories :lol:

SWEET blind DUDE!

cant believe its up and running .

now go get that meat im HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thanks again Kevin!!! End results are perfect B):D:thumbsup_anim:

Looking at your blind Jacques reminds me of my dads deer blind. He lived in New Brunswick. His was a little lower and had VW seats inside and was insulated with a old carpet. I think he slept :sleeping_02: more in there than he hunted. He told me one time he woke up and couldn't see out the shooting window because the Deer was so close, it blocked the light, he thought it was night :D

He had some funny stories :lol:

LOL Dave LOL For seating, I only have a wooden bench and a hot seat :o:lol: