baitcasting setups

northernpike56

There seems to be a much lower selection for 2 piece as well, which is why I am kind of leaning towards a 1 piece now. However I somehow need to fit this potential rod into the trunk of a mazda 3 (seats do fold down), but that would mean I couldn't bring any friends with me fishing with my new rod cause it would take up the back seat...

Maybe the option is to buy a 2 piece rod right now then buy a 1 piece compre or verdict next season, and just use the reel interchangeably.

Actually I've had problems from boat too and I am about 5' 8".

It may not be the rod as much as the operator lol.

7' is not a problem. I use a 8' for musky and have no problem with jerk baits.

Northernpike there is not need to put it through the trunk. Just put it through the passenger door and have the handle at the feet and the tip dangling in the back seat passengers face lol. I don't put them in the trunk as something can roll on it and break it.

I want to buy myself a baitcasting setup finally. I am a newbie to baitcasting, so don't really know what brands/models to be looking at, nor how to match the rod and reel. All I know is that I want a 7'0 MH 2 piece setup. Left hand retrieve. Anywhere from the $100-$200 range. What are my options?

Thanks,

Matt.

It's good that you're finally entering the world of real fishing, haha, just kidding. I think if you want to get decent gear, it's worth while to consider buying used stuff. I do it all the time via fishing forums and ebay. You will be able to get a set up that you'll really enjoy for your price range.

In terms of the reel you'll need to decide on round or low profile, though most seem to be going the way of low profile these days, as the manufacturers have really been beefing up the gears and for more comfort. If you can get an older shimano chronarch 101D (these were the gold standard a decade ago) for a $100 I don't think you'd regret it. I had one a while back and they casted just as far if not farther and smoother than modern reels. Or a Daiwa fuego magnesium. I have one, bought it on ebay, beefed in up w/ orange seal boca bearings, and it's just silky smooth. And then buy a St. Croix Premier 6'6" or 7' MH also used...and you're set. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-BANTAM-CHRONARCH-101A-LEFTY-BAITCASTING-REEL-/150887838667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23219db3cb

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Daiwa-Fuego-Reel-Buy-it-Now-or-Best-Offer-/110953660032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d55a7e80

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Curado-201-E7-Baitcasting-Reel-Choose-Size-M-10-110yd-7-1-1-7-2oz-LH-/271062711824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c98be10

It may not be the rod as much as the operator lol.

7' is not a problem. I use a 8' for musky and have no problem with jerk baits.

Northernpike there is not need to put it through the trunk. Just put it through the passenger door and have the handle at the feet and the tip dangling in the back seat passengers face lol. I don't put them in the trunk as something can roll on it and break it.

But how do you work them? If you went to the side then it woldnt be an issue but I like to work them with big sweeps straight down.

It all depends on what lure you are using and how you want to work it.

If they tip goes in the water it really doesn't hurt anything. I try to keep it out but if it happens oh well. I mean my rod goes in atleast a foot when I do a figure 8 so they are to scared.

If there is a will theres a way haha.

I don't think the fish care if you are pulling straight down or side ways. Jerkbaits are meant to be worked to make it look like a injured bait fish if it twitches enough they will take it.

Let me add another recommendation for the shimano curado E series. They can be hard to find now but keep checking kijiji and other online classifieds.

I have the entire line up of E series reels and the 200E7 is the best general purpose reel.

For a rod I'd suggest a shimano calus, compre or a st. Croix premier.

7' is the way to go, Infact my past two rods were 7'4" one piece. The extra length really helps make longer casts in open water.

I've got several baitcasters and for a starter real I think the Diawa Megaforce series is top notch! They will be under $100 at BPS. I'm a huge Shimano and Quantum fan but the Megaforce is by far the easiest and most forgiving real I own. I've taught several of my friends (who aren't regular fishermen)to use them in about an hour with minimal backlash.

That being said, the Megaforce died this summer after 4 years of pretty serious use. I was casting some fairly big lures with it that I really shouldnt have though...plastic gears dont like heavy lures.

Replaced with a Shimano Caius which is also solid for a reel under $100. If you can spend an extra $50 or so you will get a much better reel.

I've got several baitcasters and for a starter real I think the Diawa Megaforce series is top notch! They will be under $100 at BPS. I'm a huge Shimano and Quantum fan but the Megaforce is by far the easiest and most forgiving real I own. I've taught several of my friends (who aren't regular fishermen)to use them in about an hour with minimal backlash.

That being said, the Megaforce died this summer after 4 years of pretty serious use. I was casting some fairly big lures with it that I really shouldnt have though...plastic gears dont like heavy lures.

I agree with the Megaforce reel being super forgiving. My first baitcast combo was the megaforce combo and still use it today. In fact, I landed a 20lb musky this year on it while draggin' tubes for bass. lol My youngest son has started using it and has caught on quickly with minimal trouble. My other preference is the quantum energy pt series. Awesome reels IMO.

I want to buy myself a baitcasting setup finally. I am a newbie to baitcasting, so don't really know what brands/models to be looking at, nor how to match the rod and reel. All I know is that I want a 7'0 MH 2 piece setup. Left hand retrieve. Anywhere from the $100-$200 range. What are my options?

Thanks,

Matt.

I have a Simano Caenan that I bought from an OFC member a month or so ago that I am selling. It's a CAE101. I bought a couple Curado's from him at the same time and didn't really need the Caenan but bought it anyway :whistling: . There is absolutely nothing wrong with the reel, it's virtually brand new and I'm just looking for the $50 I spent on it.

Dan

I too just jumped into the the baitcasting pool, Being a NEWB to this type of setup, i ended up with the Shimano Citica LH and the Shimano Compre 6'10" 2 pc. MH.

LOVE IT

I tried the 6'9" Abu Veritas rod as well, absolutely hated it, to me, it just did not feel right. Did not have the casting precision nor the feeling that the compre has.

I also like the reel. Gear ration of 6.x to 1 is great.

A couple of years ago at the BPS spring sale I picked up a Johnny Morris Gold signature reel for half price 80 bucks if memory serves and it is a great reel, I have a handful of reels that I paid 2-3 times more but the Morris is in my hands more often than not. If you can find one at that price you will not be disappointed!

As far as rods go since you said two piece and again if you can find one try a Shimano Bob Izumi signature(blue one) a super rod for the money!