baitcasting setups

northernpike56

There are a lot of options out there. I'd recommend spending more of your budget on the reel because it will make casting easier. You can up grade the rod later. Maybe something like 2/3 of your budget on the reel.

totally agree with KF, if you go cheap on the reel, it will be a nightmare to use, my vote would be for the Shimano Curado, I've abused mine for almost 20 years and it still works great, my wife (never used a bait caster) tried it this summer and within 15 minutes was whipping casts around no problem

Why is everyone sold on Shimano and Loomis ?

I too like them both, but it does become a bit of a self fulfilling type of thing. They do make some good stuff and you try it. It works, you want to upgrade, you think why change, you buy a level, or 2, up from your last combo and of course it is better then the last, so it confirms what you already thought was true. I do own other brands but I always compare the product back to my comfort zone. I think many of us do that with a lot of things. Vehicles for am example.

Edited by kickingfrog

I want to buy myself a baitcasting setup finally. I am a newbie to baitcasting, so don't really know what brands/models to be looking at, nor how to match the rod and reel. All I know is that I want a 7'0 MH 2 piece setup. Left hand retrieve. Anywhere from the $100-$200 range. What are my options?

Thanks,

Matt.

I guess I'll ask...

What type of fishing are you mainly going to use this combo for...?

If its casting then the fellas are right.... Put more money into the reel...

If its drifting or trolling its the opposite.... Spend more on a quality sensitive rod because you don't need to cast....

If its a complete mix of techniques then I'd spend $100 on both the rod and the reel... For 200 you can get a solid combo that can do everything "ok"...

From my perspective does not really matter as long as your happy with your gear. However I got rid of all my gear and replaced it with GLX IMX and GL2 Loomis rods and switched over to all Chronarch reels in various sizes. Does it make me a better fisherman (nope because I already am the best

:sarcasm: ) I like the best and IMO nothing beats these two for how I fish, you might have differing ideas but I know what I like. Recently had a 18 year old Loomis IMX Mag bass re-eyed with the Loomis tungsten guides and wow what a rod still. That rod has caught hundreds of fish in18 years and still one of my go to rods. That's quality

:thumbsup_anim:

Why is everyone sold on Shimano and Loomis ?

I want to buy myself a baitcasting setup finally. I am a newbie to baitcasting, so don't really know what brands/models to be looking at, nor how to match the rod and reel. All I know is that I want a 7'0 MH 2 piece setup. Left hand retrieve. Anywhere from the $100-$200 range. What are my options?

Thanks,

Matt.

Rather than trying to match a rod to the reel, I'm a firm believer in buying a combo set-up from shimano or diawa for a first time user...once you become an expert at using them then maybe upgrade...I read this advice in the North American Fishermen's magazine many years ago as the manufactures make sure their combos are balanced... it made good sense to me...

Edited by Beans

Rather than trying to match a rod to the reel, I'm a firm believer in buying a combo set-up from shimano or diawa for a first time user...once you become an expert at using them then maybe upgrade...I read this advice in the North American Fishermen's magazine many years ago as the manufactures make sure their combos are balanced... it made good sense to me...

That's a heck of a idea! A good starting point as to what you may or may not need to upgrade later.

I am with Sinclair on looking for used gear, you will get more bang for the buck. I used to be all over the place in terms of reels, but then I started buying shimano reels. Then some of my other reels (ones made by pure fishing) needed repairs and I had a lot of trouble getting parts, even finding places where I could get the parts.

If I need parts for a shimano reel I can always stop in at the factory in Peterborough and get it, that is not an option for other manufacturers except for rapala. I am not exclusive to shimano, but if they have a reel in the price range that I am looking for I will buy a shimano over any other company. I do not fathom why someone would spend 100+ $ on a reel if it cannot easily be fixed if it is broken.

If I was just starting out and wanted to buy a new setup I would seriously probably get a shimano citica and pair it with a shimano compre. The rod has a lifetime warranty and if you decide to sell it you could get a decent amount of your money back.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

Absolutely avoid "combos". It's just the opposite to stated here, the manufacturers go out of their way to make sure that combos are the worst of the worst that they produce. Balance would be the least of your problems with a Combo especially the reel. Go with a quality baitcast reel to learn and if that means you only have the $$$ to buy used then buy quality used gear. Unlike spin reels baitcast reels can be an excellent used buy. I got a used Revo STX here on OFC for $90 and it has been an excellent reel for everything from Bass up to Chinnooks. I have a Diawa TDZ that I bought used for $180 and it also has been a terrific piece of equiptment ( and about the most forgiving reel possible for a new learner).

Not a fan of combos either.. Definitely spend more on the reel then the rod as everyone has stated. A cheap reel will give you nothing but headaches, a cheap rod is just a cheap rod. Citica was my first reel and my oldman still uses it as his walleye rod to pull around worm harnesses.. Never an issue with that reel, it was also fairly cheap ($120 or so)

Thanks,

Matt.

If u live anyplace near hamilton, I have a quantum kinetic PT baitcaster ill sell u for 80 and u can use the rest on a rod. Its an excellant reel, easy to use, great brake system, its basically brand new, bought in the spring, Its a step up on the shimano citica, and would be better then the new curado's as well.

OK, so from what I've read I'm going to buy a curado low-profile style. I don't mind spending money on quality things, I just don't know anything about casting setups, lol. Somebody also mentioned that 2 piece rods were of lower quality... Would a 6'6 MH Abu Verdict 1 piece be a better buy? Does losing that 6 inches on your rod make a difference in casting?

If I were to buy these, would the rod and reel match up? The reason I ask is because I have basically no experience with casting equipment, so have no idea how it should feel, whereas I can pick up a spinning combo in 10 seconds and decide whether I like it or not.

Also, I would only be using the combo for casting, I troll with spinning stuff.

OK, so from what I've read I'm going to buy a curado low-profile style. I don't mind spending money on quality things, I just don't know anything about casting setups, lol. Somebody also mentioned that 2 piece rods were of lower quality... Would a 6'6 MH Abu Verdict 1 piece be a better buy? Does losing that 6 inches on your rod make a difference in casting?

If I were to buy these, would the rod and reel match up? The reason I ask is because I have basically no experience with casting equipment, so have no idea how it should feel, whereas I can pick up a spinning combo in 10 seconds and decide whether I like it or not.

Also, I would only be using the combo for casting, I troll with spinning stuff.

The verdict is an excellent rod for the money.2 pieces is not lower quality.Some people like them, some dont.

The only thing i find odd about the verdict is that the metal clamping screw loosens.I got around this by putting a single drop of superglue where the threads mesh.The glue lets go easily if you twist the clamp to remove the reel.